Spotify for WP8

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Curious that noone posted it yet, Spotify released version 2.0 with WP8 support!! It's a beta, but works pretty good for me.
Description:

Spotify Beta opens up your Windows Phone to a world of music. With Spotify Premium you can access millions of tracks from our library, and take your playlists on the go with the Offline mode ? no connection needed.

Spotify Premium free trial
If you haven?t tried Premium before, you can try it on your mobile for 48 hours, completely free. You don?t even need to enter credit card details. Simply download the app and log in*.

If 48-hours isn?t enough, you can extend your trial by 30 days by following the details in the email we send you when you log in.

Features:
- Search, browse & play millions of tracks.
- Explore & play your friends' playlists, top artists and tracks.
- Stream over WiFi or 2.5/3G - all your existing playlists are available.
- Offline playlists - play your music without an internet connection.
- On-the-fly sync - every track you add to a playlist appears on mobile and computer.
- What's New view.
- Receive music from friends via the inbox.
- Starred tracks - tag all your favourites into a special list.

* If you don?t have log in details, just register for a free Spotify account on the Spotify website. Full Mobile Terms of Use & 48-hour free trial terms and conditions can also be found on the Spotify website.

link: Spotify | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Supports offline downloads and high-quality streaming

As someone who has never understood the big deal with Spotify (I've admittedly never tried it), why is this a big deal with Nokia Music around? Spending $10/month on the premium service is silly when Nokia Music offers offline playlists for free.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody explain me how Spotify works: If I have a premium account, all the music they offer is off line and per stream available, without any limitations?

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think so. In germany, it's also available, and tmobile offers contracts with free spotify that doesn't count as data usage, hat's one of the reasons it's so awesome.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think so. In germany, it's also available, and tmobile offers contracts with free spotify that doesn't count as data usage, hat's one of the reasons it's so awesome.

Yeah, my provider here has the same, so I started thinking about it.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has never understood the big deal with Spotify (I've admittedly never tried it), why is this a big deal with Nokia Music around? Spending $10/month on the premium service is silly when Nokia Music offers offline playlists for free.

I like Spotify's selection and interface more. I also like it that I can use Spotify on my Android tablet, iPhone, PC and Mac (and now my 920 also!!). Nokia's free service has a limited number of downloads and limited number of times you can skip tracks on the radio. As far as I can tell, you can have Nokia Music create mixes for you based on a song you want, and then you can make those mixes available offline. You can't however, say "I want everything that Lemon Jelly ever recorded in a single playlist, available offline on all my devices, organized in this order." You can with Spotify, and even if they don't have all of it in their library, if you have some of it locally, you can integrate it with your playlists and push those tracks to your mobile device.

If you only ever use your Lumia and like the selection they choose for you and aren't picky about what you hear, then I would agree that it's silly to pay for Spotify when you can use Nokia Music.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody explain me how Spotify works: If I have a premium account, all the music they offer is off line and per stream available, without any limitations?

Right. The only limitation is your data plan if you're streaming a lot over 3G/4G/LTE. You're also limited to only playing off one device at a time, but that kind of makes sense so you can't distribute your account to a bunch of people.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
but you need a premium account to use the windows phone version correct, you cant just use it like pandora?

From what I can see, there's no access to the Radio functionality in the WP8 app at all - even with the premium membership. You can use Spotify's Radio on iOS and Android for free, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they open it up to WP8 as well. It's beta for now, so I guess they haven't baked everything, but I'm glad they made offline listening a priority and released that first since that's what I mostly use the mobile app for. I use the desktop client for discovery and management because it's a lot faster and more robust.

*edit* - In short, yes, it looks like you need a premium account or the 30-day free trial to use the WP8 app for Spotify right now.

Last edited:

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I can see, there's no access to the Radio functionality in the WP8 app at all - even with the premium membership. You can use Spotify's Radio on iOS and Android for free, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they open it up to WP8 as well. It's beta for now, so I guess they haven't baked everything, but I'm glad they made offline listening a priority and released that first since that's what I mostly use the mobile app for. I use the desktop client for discovery and management because it's a lot faster and more robust.

*edit* - In short, yes, it looks like you need a premium account or the 30-day free trial to use the WP8 app for Spotify right now.

I love the desktop app, and I am glad I am not going crazy (I had this app on my iphone and have never paid for it) I am hoping the make it sooner rather then later as I dont listen to alot of radio but without pandora and this its pretty empty out there

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Couple things... Why use it over Nokia Music? Because you can listen to anything you want, not just a pre-defined playlist of music.. You literally have access to any album you want.

I'm noticing some bugs with Bluetooth in my car.. I can't get it to work at all actually, app either freezes, crashes to sits there trying to get the song to work.. Anyone else have this issue?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like Spotify's selection and interface more. I also like it that I can use Spotify on my Android tablet, iPhone, PC and Mac (and now my 920 also!!). Nokia's free service has a limited number of downloads and limited number of times you can skip tracks on the radio. As far as I can tell, you can have Nokia Music create mixes for you based on a song you want, and then you can make those mixes available offline. You can't however, say "I want everything that Lemon Jelly ever recorded in a single playlist, available offline on all my devices, organized in this order." You can with Spotify, and even if they don't have all of it in their library, if you have some of it locally, you can integrate it with your playlists and push those tracks to your mobile device.

If you only ever use your Lumia and like the selection they choose for you and aren't picky about what you hear, then I would agree that it's silly to pay for Spotify when you can use Nokia Music.

All I have is a Windows desktop and a Windows Phone, so the other devices don't apply to me at all. Also, Nokia Music gives you 4 playlists at a time, which covers a large amount of music. It only takes a couple of minutes to DL or refresh a playlist over WiFi, so it's not TOO limiting when you're talking about getting music. Oh, and the whole "limited skips" is easily beaten--it doesn't count starting a different playlist as a skip. All you do is start a different playlist, then restart the one you want, and you're fine with that, so the skips are really unlimited, if you want them to be.

I've not tried Xbox Music, so IDK if it allows for offline use, but I just can't say that Spotify does anything to justify $10/month, especially if Nokia Music+ gives you unlimited downloads and skips for $4/month (not sure if it allows for track selection).

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All I have is a Windows desktop and a Windows Phone, so the other devices don't apply to me at all. Also, Nokia Music gives you 4 playlists at a time, which covers a large amount of music. It only takes a couple of minutes to DL or refresh a playlist over WiFi, so it's not TOO limiting when you're talking about getting music. Oh, and the whole "limited skips" is easily beaten--it doesn't count starting a different playlist as a skip. All you do is start a different playlist, then restart the one you want, and you're fine with that, so the skips are really unlimited, if you want them to be.

I've not tried Xbox Music, so IDK if it allows for offline use, but I just can't say that Spotify does anything to justify $10/month, especially if Nokia Music+ gives you unlimited downloads and skips for $4/month (not sure if it allows for track selection).

It sounds like Nokia Music suits your needs, so there's no reason for you to pay for another service. I listen to music 8-10 hours a day while I'm working, and I'm really picky about what I listen to, so I can justify the $10/mo for Spotify. It ended up being far cheaper than what I was doing before, which was buying tons of albums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb