Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I do have to ask.. what does Office 365 offer that Office Web apps doesn't? You can still create and open up a document in both the browser and in Office (2010 and later), and can simultaneously edit in both versions. Also, Office 2010 allows you to save a file directly to your SkyDrive for future editing/syncing. I'm genuinely curious what else Office 365 brings to the table.
    Our company just switched to 365 and I'm wondering the same thing, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I'm in on this.

People are starving in Rwanda and being hacked to death in Sudan and people are making petitions about Windows Phone.

Get real people. If you're going to bother with a petition, at least make it about something that really matters, not first world problems.
    Um And i thought this was the place for discussion about Windows phone not Africa
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I do have to ask.. what does Office 365 offer that Office Web apps doesn't? You can still create and open up a document in both the browser and in Office (2010 and later), and can simultaneously edit in both versions. Also, Office 2010 allows you to save a file directly to your SkyDrive for future editing/syncing. I'm genuinely curious what else Office 365 brings to the table.
    This stuff:

Plans & pricing
    Mystictrust likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokiageek View Post
    Um And i thought this was the place for discussion about Windows phone not Africa
    No, this is AfricaCentral. You made a wrong turn somewhere on the interweb.

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    thca63e4oq.jpg
    ~Sal
    Which Google Apps did you have in mind? Like Google docs?
    Although many seem to think Microsoft should launch/buy a Youtube competitor, I just don't see the business case for it. Competing in that field would cost hundreds of millions of dollars while offering almost no profit earning potential. I also fail to see what Microsoft might be missing out on, should they choose to ignore the field entirely. So, as long as we have metrotube, I think we are fine.

I do think Microsoft needs to compete with Google Reader though. RSS subscriptions need to sync to the cloud and across all Microsoft franchises (IE10, Outlook 2013, WP, Xbox, W8RT).

This stuff:

Plans & pricing
    That link didn't answer my question directly in regards to web apps, but it prompted me to browse for a bit and I found this awesome nugget:

Away from your PC? Office 365 Home Premium and Office 365 University subscribers can stream full versions of Office applications to any Internet-connected PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8 using Office on Demand.
    Now I understand what you meant by full cloud based... streaming the full version of Office, not just the limited web apps that we all get for free. Good stuff!!
    Last edited by Mystictrust; 02-11-2013 at 03:32 PM.

No, this is AfricaCentral. You made a wrong turn somewhere on the interweb.
    Hehe 😂

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    I signed the petition to keep Google apps OFF windows phone.
    where do i sign?
    Great deal likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    why? microsoft apps can do anything and everything google apps can.
    plus google is among the worst company in the world anyway as they don't give a rat *** about your privacy and is available to sell all your emails, messages, addresses, numbers, and personal info for a few dollars online to advertisers for them to haunt you through eternity.
    Be smart, don't use google.
    Right, because Microsoft is an angel who would never dream of violating your privacy rights?

The real "smart" thing to do would be to keep tabs on your privacy settings, and exercise overall caution (and common sense) while online.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    If you're going to bother with a petition, at least make it about something that really matters
    ...or something that can actually be changed by a petition. If it's not in Google's business plan to build apps for WP, no petition is going to force their hand.

"Wow, look, a petition signed by the entire 2.9% share of Windows Phone users for us to build apps on their chosen platform for which we'd already decided we weren't going to build because they only have a 2.9% share. How cute."

(Quoted share percentage was an anus extractus figure, but I know it's not too far off.)
    JerseySal likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Bah humbug, I switched away from google and dont want to use it again, I use Bing for search as well. Only thing worth using is Google Maps and only up until MS catch up. Anyways Google have said they dont plan on making any apps for WP8 anytime soon and I hope they dont!

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    Bigger fan of MS than Google. Instead of a petition, maybe other companies should create better products and services than what Google offers...rather than depending on them. Or they could be like another company and sue everyone's asses off. lol
    ~Sal

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    Also, I like turtles.
    ~Sal

No. **** Google.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Rahman Noor View Post
    Right, because Microsoft is an angel who would never dream of violating your privacy rights?

The real "smart" thing to do would be to keep tabs on your privacy settings, and exercise overall caution (and common sense) while online.
    Agreed.

I do think MS is less invasive about your personal info, but it's not because they are trying to be nice.

If they had thought of Google's clever ad revenue model first I'm sure they would have done it.

That said, I still trust Microsoft more than Google.

I think the only thing google can really offer at this point to MS is just access to YouTube. Really, that is it. Microsoft said they already had an app made but needed access to YouTube`s API`s which sucks. Also, although Google maps is superior, in my opinion, compared to Nokia maps in terms of transit paths, I still think Nokia maps is amazing (especially when driving, wow). Google+ is really a minority who uses it, so I wouldn`t see why they would focus on that, and google search, although very poorly done, is on WP. Worst case scenario for Google search you just pin the google search IE page to your start screen, bam. Amazing. haha. No but seriously. YouTube..... that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by WhippedKream View Post
    I think the only thing google can really offer at this point to MS is just access to YouTube. Really, that is it. Microsoft said they already had an app made but needed access to YouTube`s API`s which sucks. Also, although Google maps is superior, in my opinion, compared to Nokia maps in terms of transit paths, I still think Nokia maps is amazing (especially when driving, wow). Google+ is really a minority who uses it, so I wouldn`t see why they would focus on that, and google search, although very poorly done, is on WP. Worst case scenario for Google search you just pin the google search IE page to your start screen, bam. Amazing. haha. No but seriously. YouTube..... that is all.
    Oh and before anyone starts bashing me about using MetroTube, I do use it. I love it. I love it`s design and EVERYTHING! The only thing that sucks is when I click on a YouTube link in any app or website, it will direct me to the YouTube page.... If it would open with MetroTube, God bless WP! It would be honestly 99% complete for me (just missing an amazing fb app now :P).

The only google service that isn't available on WP afaik is gmaps with turn by turn. Everything else has a third party app.

Moreover there are alternatives in the market to all of google's services.

If google decides to develop for WP, great. But it certainly isn't necessary.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts
    No thanks, I value my privacy, why would I want anything scroogle on my pristine WP

The problem with this is that Google are unwilling to develop apps for Windows Phone.

That is the reason why they have stopped Gmail account syncs to WP devices. They are actively trying to stop MS from using their services.
    Google is just a search engine provider at the end of the day. Android is based on Linux. Google have just slapped their name on it.

We don't need Google or their apps. Maybe the search engine, but that's about it!!!!

I remember in the 90's with alt/indie bands:
    You heard them before they made it big, so they were your special little find. But as they grew in popularity it actually made you resent them. Then finally you disowned them as SELL OUTs cause your (previous) favorite song was used on a TV commercial.

Do you want WP to succeed, or have it all to yourselves?

As a person strongly considering a WP move from android, all this sounds like maybe its not the right move for me. All my contacts, calendars, music are on google. I'm sure the MS offerings are at least equal, and if I were starting from scratch I'd be happy to use them as an alternative. But having converts move all their data just to try out a new phone is not a legitimate ask.
    MS was late to the mobil game and has to do some work to have the masses take them seriously. Permanent incompatibility with google apps is not the way to attract anyone.
    Last edited by mmorga84; 04-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.

No Google please.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12