Petition For Google Apps on WP

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I signed the petition to keep Google apps OFF windows phone. Want an advertising machine in your pocket? Buy an android

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
why? microsoft apps can do anything and everything google apps can.
plus google is among the worst company in the world anyway as they don't give a rat ass about your privacy and is available to sell all your emails, messages, addresses, numbers, and personal info for a few dollars online to advertisers for them to haunt you through eternity.
Be smart, don't use google.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I signed the petition to keep Google apps OFF windows phone. Want an advertising machine in your pocket? Buy an android
Yes and keep billions of potential customers off from ever buying a Windows Phone again. Way to root for a budding platform.
And guess what, Facebook also violates user privacy regularly. Let's petition to remove Facebook from Windows Phone. And guess what again, Facebook also owns Instagram. Let's petition to have this app never land on Windows Phone. That will REALLY drive people towards Windows Phone.

DaveDash

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I came from iPhone, and I do miss google maps. Bing/Nokia maps are not as accurate outside of the US at least.
Google maps on iPhone is actually awesome, especially for turn by turn navigation. Ah well, I still have my Google Nexus to use as a glorified navman. :)
I also miss Chrome. IE10 runs better on WP8, but a lot of forums in particular give a buggy experience.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I dumped everything Google and don't miss it at all. Don't care about data mining because everybody does it, MS included. I just got tired of all these companies refusing to offer services to other platforms because its not in their interests. Or suing because a rectangle phone is somehow patented by us so you can't use it. Their a bunch of children fighting over the swing in the playground. If you are a services based company, you should want to offer your services to as many people as possible. Screw Google and screw Apple. Biggest babies on the block. 😊

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I dumped everything Google and don't miss it at all. Don't care about data mining because everybody does it, MS included. I just got tired of all these companies refusing to offer services to other platforms because its not in their interests. Or suing because a rectangle phone is somehow patented by us so you can't use it. Their a bunch of children fighting over the swing in the playground. If you are a services based company, you should want to offer your services to as many people as possible. Screw Google and screw Apple. Biggest babies on the block. 
And Microsoft's droidrage and scroogle campaign? Which makes them a cry baby too?

iN8ter

Banned
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
You're right. We use Skype.

Skype has always had the reputation of being a rather pathetic IM service, and this doesn't seem to really be changing. I actually use it quite a bit (for calling at a certain area I frequent that doesn't get reception, but has WiFi available), not sure how much use it gets from people here. It's bad, and even the Stock Google Talk app in Android runs circles around it.

Voice Call Quality is decent, but it uses almost twice as much data as Google Talk Voice Chat (which translate to significantly higher battery usage). Google Talk has better Video Chat quality. If you use Google+ Hangouts (Group Video Chat) are free. Skype Charges $9.99 a month for that ($4.99 if you pay a year up front). It doesn't have an option to Auto-Start on device boot so unless you run the app you won't get Notifications for anything - This is true on both Windows 8 and Android, and I'd assume Windows Phone 8 as well (in order to get it to run in the background, you must first start them app and then home out of it). On Android, the app is killed in record time if you disable the background notification - at least on my phone (1GB RAM). File Transfer is beyond slow and I've had files get hung up for over a day until I cancelled the transfer.

The Facebook Chat in their Desktop app is almost unserviceable. Can't send messages to Offline or Mobile friends, which makes it useless as most people use FBC from their smartphones (most people I know, at least). All their desktop clients are AdWare, and are quite... abusive... about it (close an add in the buddy list, it will pop another one up almost immediately) and their UI design leaves much to be desired. Microsoft should immediately redesign the Skype Desktop (and RT) app to look exactly like Lync, IMO. They need to give more emphasis to VoIP/IM/Video Calling than Paid Services. It puts a lot of people off.

Also, a lot of people refuse to use Skype because it puts your User Name in a world-wide directory for everyone to see.

The only reason I see to use Skype at this point is to make cheap voice calls over a data connection when reception isn't there, and that's free if you rack up some Bing Rewards and use the Points to purchase some Skype Credits, assuming you aren't a heavy user (with Rollover Minutes, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile, and Share Everything plans here in the US almost everyone has Unlimited Minutes when reception is present).

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Before anyone says buy an Android phone than, Google produce there apps for Iphone, Blackberry etc
I signed the petition, but Google doesn't develop apps for Blackberry any more, and they haven't for several years.

Google Talk, like all Blackberry IM apps are developed by RIM. They abandoned their own BB apps years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism