Banking apps; Windows Phone's real Achilles heel (in the UK at least)

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering changing banks because of this. If NatWest releases their app fairly soon, and it's at the same level as the iOS and Android apps, and there is still no progress from my current bank, it will be time to look at a new bank.

I hate it when bank's say they're looking at the market share of an operating system. That shouldn't concern them; what should is their customers and if there just a handful that use Windows Phones, those are just as important and should be catered for.

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering changing banks because of this. If NatWest releases their app fairly soon, and it's at the same level as the iOS and Android apps, and there is still no progress from my current bank, it will be time to look at a new bank.

I hate it when bank's say they're looking at the market share of an operating system. That shouldn't concern them; what should is their customers and if there just a handful that use Windows Phones, those are just as important and should be catered for.

I'm doing the same thing, to me, a bank who embraces new tech readily shows me that they are a forward thinking company and worthy of my custom; Personally, I'm looking at Santander so far as I've seen the Spanish banking app they have in the Store which fully embraces Metro rather than wrapping the mobile site in a app like other banks have done.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I am with RBS, I posted a question to them yesterday. They have responded saying one is planned for the early part of the year. They had a fair few requests on their site.

I would urge all others to do the same with their bank, don't assume they are working on it.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Think the banks are to busy paying people there money back from ripping them off with there Ppi than to spend money making customers happy with there banking services.

All you get is pathetic answers back when you contact them and only interested in making money not spending it 😈
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Think the banks are to busy paying people there money back from ripping them off with there Ppi than to spend money making customers happy with there banking services.

All you get is pathetic answers back when you contact them and only interested in making money not spending it 😈

bombard the devils with requests.... It will work. Plus, keeps the sods on their toes!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Who else would you give money to keep for free or sometimes even have to pay to keep it (for checks etc.) And at the same time, they loan it back to you and charge you 10%!

Ripping off is correct.

About time they all wrote a Windows app instead of the CEOs taking multi-million salaries. Probably would only be a couple of days salary to get an app written...

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Natwest Uk just tweeted me back saying that there Windows Phone app will be released soon but no date as yet.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I got the standard polite FU response from emailing all the major Canadian banks after I asked about both wp8 and BB10. However I did find a secure tool that will convert their existing Android apps for a BB10.

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got the standard polite FU response from emailing all the major Canadian banks after I asked about both wp8 and BB10. However I did find a secure tool that will convert their existing Android apps for a BB10.

All of them!? Is there any bank over there with an app?

@Mcivor88, that's a great idea but I find most mobile websites are pretty ****e, I'm glad it works for you though.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Santander offer a mobile website which works pretty well. I can check my balance, transfer funds, pay people etc...

I used to pin the website to my homescreen but then I found an app called app builder, it allowed me to make a basic app that had its own web browser in it. This meant I could put a proper logo on the tile and make it look as if it is a real app.

I've done this for loads of mobile websites, gumtree, easyjet, paddy power. When people take a look at my phone it gives a better impression of the OS!

Great find! I've managed to put my online banking site into something that looks like a WP app! Bit fiddly to use on the phone and figure out but works nicely! Cheers!

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
A statement I've seen in more recent weeks from NatWest is that "the app for Windows Phone 7.5 should be released early this year, while the app for Windows Phone 8 will be a little later."

I hope when they say 'a little later', we're talking days not weeks.

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
A statement I've seen in more recent weeks from NatWest is that "the app for Windows Phone 7.5 should be released early this year, while the app for Windows Phone 8 will be a little later."

I hope when they say 'a little later', we're talking days not weeks.

They've been saying soon for fecking ages, I just hope it's a fully metro style app windows instead of the mobile site wrapped

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've sent Halifax a private message on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/halifax):

Hey.
I'm currently with Halifax for my banking and would like to be able to access my banking from my phone. Now, as far as I am aware there is currently no app for the Windows Phone series of devices, which is what I am using (and switching to Android/iOS is out of the question). Is there any news on a Windows Phone app? I am reading reports that Santander and Natwest are releasing apps for our platform. Please could you let us know what your stance on this?

Cheers
(my name)

The fact that I mention about competition should give us a helping hand. After all, there's customers to lose here now.

EDIT: WTF? They didn't get phased by the fact they had customers to lose!

Hi there (my name), thanks for the message. Although we don't have an app specifically for Windows phones, we’re currently looking at ways to improve Mobile Banking for our customers across different devices. We'll post any updates on this when we have them. In the meantime, you can sign in via your mobile’s browser for the same Mobile Banking features as the app. ^GJ

Last edited:

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That's the same bull**** reply i got on Twitter, why don't they be honest and just say Windows Phone you must be joking 😒
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Foroplex

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've sent Halifax a private message on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/halifax):

The fact that I mention about competition should give us a helping hand. After all, there's customers to lose here now.

EDIT: WTF? They didn't get phased by the fact they had customers to lose!

It shouldnt suprise you. Banks arent concerned with loyalty anymore its all about making money for them. Ive been with HSBC for 10 years have numerous accounts, ISA's and savings. Told them Santander were willing to offer me better rates across all my accounts and i was thinking of switching banks unless they could match the rates. Just got a flat "No we cant do anything to match any competitors rates"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3