Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 54
Like Tree4Likes
  1. anthonyng's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by aka P View Post
    Press the volume button after you exit WhatsApp and you'd know! ;) WhatsApp uses the sound streaming API to keep itself 'alive'
    Still don't know what I'm supposed to see/hear wrong?
  2. anthonyng's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    +1 definitely look VERY native. Glad to see them at least taking UI seriously, if not functionality at core!
    First thing I noticed was the proper usage of notification on the live tile! Nice... Now if they let us choose the back ground colour of the tile, that's allowed no? I'd like to be able to pick whatsapp green for the tile back ground.
  3. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #28  
    Definitely enjoying the update(s) that have come.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  4. holzlondon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    202 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by aka P View Post
    Press the volume button after you exit WhatsApp and you'd know! ;) WhatsApp uses the sound streaming API to keep itself 'alive'
    Just use Stop the Music after finishing a chat and it closes the music stream. You still get notifications. Stupid workaround, but keeps the battery from draining for now...
    Thanked by:
    Duvi 
  5. LazySunday's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    #30  
    Well, I don't want to use the work around. In WP 8 notifications seem to work okay, in that case why they need use Audio API and drain our batteries? I feel that it is a poor programming. Moreover, I don't know how foolproof is windows notification system. Even, Skype is arbitrary in delivering messages. I'm still patiently waiting for MS to integrate Skype and I don't have to use any of these messengers again.
  6. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
    Just use Stop the Music after finishing a chat and it closes the music stream. You still get notifications. Stupid workaround, but keeps the battery from draining for now...
    Nah, I just refuse to use it until they fix that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    what do you mean?
    To say they can take their app and shove it is basically a way of saying I'm not going to use it. As for the screen print, that audio track is WhatsApp keeping itself alive. And I won't stand for it.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  7. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyng View Post
    Still don't know what I'm supposed to see/hear wrong?
    me too, still don't understand whats wrong here. Everything seems fine on me.
  8. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazySunday View Post
    Well, I don't want to use the work around. In WP 8 notifications seem to work okay, in that case why they need use Audio API and drain our batteries? I feel that it is a poor programming. Moreover, I don't know how foolproof is windows notification system. Even, Skype is arbitrary in delivering messages. I'm still patiently waiting for MS to integrate Skype and I don't have to use any of these messengers again.
    They need this because WP7.x guys don't have keep WiFi alive option in OS.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  9. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    me too, still don't understand whats wrong here. Everything seems fine on me.
    There is a small sign like WiFi on left hand side when you press vol up or down. That sign means "phone is streaming music online". Whatsapp is abusing that and instead of streaming music, is streaming fake data. In WP7.x devices this is the only way WiFi connection can stay alive. Whatsapp can then deliver notifications for those users more reliably. We don't need it anymore on WP8. We have an option to keep it alive manually if we wish. However, this 24x7 audio streaming is like listening to online radio or Spotify song streaming all the time. It kills the battery. But this cant be solved until they decide to make separate apps for WP7.x and 8 or just take away always keep WiFi on my streaming songs from WP7.x users. Th fact that its been like this for nearly a year and is certified by Store, means Microsoft is aware of the abuse and thinks its better to have this Whatsapp than no whatsapp. Do you see it now?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  10. busngabb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    #35  
    I'm sure its not actually sending and receiving data like if you were streaming music. Its just pretending it is to fool the os restrictions. Ive not noticed a lot of data usage from whatsapp and no major affect on battery life either
  11. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    There is a small sign like WiFi on left hand side when you press vol up or down. That sign means "phone is streaming music online". Whatsapp is abusing that and instead of streaming music, is streaming fake data. In WP7.x devices this is the only way WiFi connection can stay alive. Whatsapp can then deliver notifications for those users more reliably. We don't need it anymore on WP8. We have an option to keep it alive manually if we wish. However, this 24x7 audio streaming is like listening to online radio or Spotify song streaming all the time. It kills the battery. But this cant be solved until they decide to make separate apps for WP7.x and 8 or just take away always keep WiFi on my streaming songs from WP7.x users. Th fact that its been like this for nearly a year and is certified by Store, means Microsoft is aware of the abuse and thinks its better to have this Whatsapp than no whatsapp. Do you see it now?
    Is that stream actually sending/receiving data constantly? Because that would kill data usage.
  12. #37  
    Apart from the streaming thing and the battery drain, the 2.9.3 update seems to be going good on mine and I'm fairly satisfied with it ;)
    Nokia Lumia 620 - White
  13. robert peake's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #38  
    hmmm i wish i hadnt upgraded now 2.9.3 seems to be a lot more power hungry, i mean my battery life is dropping like made ....i doubt it will last the day
  14. robert peake's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    There is a small sign like WiFi on left hand side when you press vol up or down. That sign means "phone is streaming music online". Whatsapp is abusing that and instead of streaming music, is streaming fake data. In WP7.x devices this is the only way WiFi connection can stay alive. Whatsapp can then deliver notifications for those users more reliably. We don't need it anymore on WP8. We have an option to keep it alive manually if we wish. However, this 24x7 audio streaming is like listening to online radio or Spotify song streaming all the time. It kills the battery. But this cant be solved until they decide to make separate apps for WP7.x and 8 or just take away always keep WiFi on my streaming songs from WP7.x users. Th fact that its been like this for nearly a year and is certified by Store, means Microsoft is aware of the abuse and thinks its better to have this Whatsapp than no whatsapp. Do you see it now?
    this is worrying, i just posted that my battery life is cack now... so best unistall it for now.... im travelling to italy tomorrow will this ramp up my data usage?
  15. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Is that stream actually sending/receiving data constantly? Because that would kill data usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert peake View Post
    this is worrying, i just posted that my battery life is cack now... so best unistall it for now.... im travelling to italy tomorrow will this ramp up my data usage?
    Somewhere on this forum or XDA lies an email correspondence with Whatsapp support in 2012, when they confirmed it will stream at regular points and ping back only in small KBs as good as you receiving a text on Whatsapp every so often. This way it keeps connection to Whatsapp notifications regular. Apparently that was the only way back in WP7.5 days that Whatsapp figured they can deliver reliable notifications. The WiFi-on isn't just for keeping WiFi on to deliver messages for guys who don't use mobile data, but also to keep reliable delivery. All they really need is invest in their servers. I don't blame them much as these guys have gained overwhelming popularity in just 4 years since the inception of Whatsapp on iOS. They were/are under prepared.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  16. dadoya's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #41  
    Just got my update....im ompressed hpw quickly they fixed it....works fine and few new things that they added, works nice...
  17. sueha's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    #42  
    So what can we as the customers do? I will report my concerns about the battery to Microsoft via the Store page (you know, the button below the App description). If you guys wanna do something, join me in doing so. I guess the guys at Microsoft will notice the problem, if we all report it.
    Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 (unlocked)
    Location: Germany
  18. Hupsakee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #43  
    My whatsapp icon lost its color on homescreen. Color still there when in the alphabetical list. Pinning/unpinning does not fix this.
  19. DaSchnee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hupsakee View Post
    My whatsapp icon lost its color on homescreen. Color still there when in the alphabetical list. Pinning/unpinning does not fix this.
    that's not a bug, its a feature. I prefer it that way. It now looks like a native OS app
  20. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #45  
    Does the message preview on the large tile work for all of you? It doesn't seem to work for me, including multiple repins to the home screen. The count on the tile and the lock screen, as well as the notification work perfectly.
  21. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by sueha View Post
    So what can we as the customers do? I will report my concerns about the battery to Microsoft via the Store page (you know, the button below the App description). If you guys wanna do something, join me in doing so. I guess the guys at Microsoft will notice the problem, if we all report it.
    I've done it on numerous occasions and nothing. I think Microsoft knows about this already and they are okay with it. Why else will the app pass certification SO many times? Probably they are looking at it this way - abusive whatsapp or no whatsapp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Does the message preview on the large tile work for all of you? It doesn't seem to work for me, including multiple repins to the home screen. The count on the tile and the lock screen, as well as the notification work perfectly.
    Yup works fine as soon as I pinned it first time. May be your need to reinstall whatsapp and start fresh?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  22. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    #47  
    Don't know if it's just me but I find the interface seems a lil "blah". Don't get the whole metro feel from it when you open the app. Hopefully they do something about it,
  23. afgzee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
       #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by howdysir View Post
    2.9.2 went fine.

    2.9.3 has killed my phone.

    Installed and uninstalled three times. Each time I install, my phone starts to lock up. Get black screens, wont respond.

    Delete whatsapp and it goes away. Now I cannot use it. Ugh.
    hi. 2.9.4 has been released today, install this update and see if your issue has been resolved.

    I've also made a new thread to discuss these changes: http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...p-2-9-4-a.html
  24. #49  
    Deleted
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  25. Hupsakee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSchnee View Post
    that's not a bug, its a feature. I prefer it that way. It now looks like a native OS app
    I prefer apps with different colors, makes navigating the screen much easier.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whatsapp, kik, etc.
    By scottcraft in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 03:31 AM
  2. WhatsApp teasing a WP7 app....?
    By 1jaxstate1 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM
  3. WhatsApp Messenger for WP 7
    By jgor2000 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
  4. whatsapp-WP7
    By jnb#WP in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM
  5. whatsapp for wp7
    By berfx in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions