the 1 GB ram requirement trend for apps !!

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
1) you say that the hardware does not support it but the same hard ware would support it on ios/android....if the app lags i'll live with rather than not have it
2) the life cycle of such phones become smaller as 1GB ram trend catches on to other apps
3) when we pay for the phone, the os price is included and is same for all phones so the app store should be same.
asphalt 7 has to be the biggest dealbreaker amongst other such apps
MS should freeup the ram the os and other backgroud tasks take while running these apps or some customisation n stuff before this trend catches on.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it's a problem. However, when they tout the upside to Windows Phone as its fluidity, giving up those restrictions harms that. IF their OS becomes as slow as Android has been in the past, they really have no BIG selling point. If anything, I guess we can be glad that we're about out of the sub-1GB stage of smartphones, as we should see the next round of flagships at 2 GB of RAM and their lesser counterparts at 1 GB.

Still, they need to get developers to better-optimize their apps to work on 512MB devices soon.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
1) you say that the hardware does not support it but the same hard ware would support it on ios/android....if the app lags i'll live with rather than not have it
2) the life cycle of such phones become smaller as 1GB ram trend catches on to other apps
3) when we pay for the phone, the os price is included and is same for all phones so the app store should be same.
asphalt 7 has to be the biggest dealbreaker amongst other such apps
MS should freeup the ram the os and other backgroud tasks take while running these apps or some customisation n stuff before this trend catches on.

1. No one says the hardware does not support it.
2. You as the intended customer for apps and games can punish developer who go with the 1gb trend by not buying or using their software products and services
3. The os price is indeed included like on any OEM devices. But you don't expect to play crisis 3 on a netbook with windows 7. You expect to play it on a gaming machine with good video card. So the os argument and the store is pointless. The store is an open market and so each software app try to sell to you. Punish the developer let the os alone in this case.

I'm on smartphone I expect it to be a smartphone and stay connected and such. So I don't like other apps killing and doing stuffs. It's an invitation for malware.

As for developer investing in optimizations you as customers have the ability to demand that. You can give reviews to apps and games depending on their merits. I don't see anyone blaming google because android devices made in china with poor and outdated hw cant run all apps. Simply reward the apps and games that scale well across various devices and punish the other. Contact the developers for the apps and games that demand 1gb and ask for a 512mb version. MS is not making those apps or games. Other companies or individuals are. Blame them and communicate with them

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
1. No one says the hardware does not support it.
2. You as the intended customer for apps and games can punish developer who go with the 1gb trend by not buying or using their software products and services
3. The os price is indeed included like on any OEM devices. But you don't expect to play crisis 3 on a netbook with windows 7. You expect to play it on a gaming machine with good video card. So the os argument and the store is pointless. The store is an open market and so each software app try to sell to you. Punish the developer let the os alone in this case.

I'm on smartphone I expect it to be a smartphone and stay connected and such. So I don't like other apps killing and doing stuffs. It's an invitation for malware.

As for developer investing in optimizations you as customers have the ability to demand that. You can give reviews to apps and games depending on their merits. I don't see anyone blaming google because android devices made in china with poor and outdated hw cant run all apps. Simply reward the apps and games that scale well across various devices and punish the other. Contact the developers for the apps and games that demand 1gb and ask for a 512mb version. MS is not making those apps or games. Other companies or individuals are. Blame them and communicate with them

1) you just said hardware doesn't support it by giving the crisis 3 example....i would give an example of FIFA 13......it runs on intel 4000 graphics by changing some settings but optimal on 2gb dedicated graphics.......it lags and has lower frame rates but it runs
thats what i want.....the option to run it......whether it lags or ain't optimal that's my problem

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 9 "Blue" this fall will bring new hardware to the platform!

- Quad-Core Snapdragon 800 series (MSM8974) Adreno 330

- 2GB RAM/64GB flash/128GB microSD

- 5" 1080p display (441PPI) with Gorilla Glass 3

- 2600mAh battery life!

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
1) you just said hardware doesn't support it by giving the crisis 3 example....i would give an example of FIFA 13......it runs on intel 4000 graphics by changing some settings but optimal on 2gb dedicated graphics.......it lags and has lower frame rates but it runs
thats what i want.....the option to run it......whether it lags or ain't optimal that's my problem

Exactly. So some games apps can do graceful degradation of their features and some don't bother. The option to run but lag can impact a company image so it's understandable that some companies do not want to support this. The choice to use and the method to reward apps publishers makes all the difference. If people would stop blaming MS and redirect their anger towards the one that made the apps or the games they would have a voice and can influence them to make better apps games that run on all spectrum of devices. MS can't protect you here nor should it. It's you who protect your interest by voicing your demands to the one that make those apps/games that doesn't work for you as you are the pool of consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett