Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Hiya, does anyone else find experience in Here maps on WP8 appalling? Is is clear if they are going to introduce compass feature in next releases? I have used the app the other day and it really sucked. To start with I had trouble working out which direction to go, then the location accuracy was dreadful. Also if I am in My location mode when walking the map zooms in and out very fast like crazy, so you can't really navigate properly. I used to have Nokia C7 and I can say with certainty I enjoyed Nokia maps while walking about abroad. Why did they even bother releasing this half baked thing that is full of bugs and misses essential features. I am going to Rome in July and really hope they will at least have implemented compass feature by then.

Does anyone else find experience rather poor?

Quote Originally Posted by SergikUK View Post
    Hiya, does anyone else find experience in Here maps on WP8 appalling? Is is clear if they are going to introduce compass feature in next releases? I have used the app the other day and it really sucked. To start with I had trouble working out which direction to go, then the location accuracy was dreadful. Also if I am in My location mode when walking the map zooms in and out very fast like crazy, so you can't really navigate properly. I used to have Nokia C7 and I can say with certainty I enjoyed Nokia maps while walking about abroad. Why did they even bother releasing this half baked thing that is full of bugs and misses essential features. I am going to Rome in July and really hope they will at least have implemented compass feature by then.
    Had a good run in several country. Nothing too different from Symbian version. You are doing it wrong I guess.

Does the map on your device turn as you turn around like on Symbian devices or in Here City Lense?

My biggest problem with Here Maps is the POI database is woefully out of date, and the POI search algorithm is broken.

Unfortunately, these have been issues with Nokia Maps since the S60 days, so, I'm not holding out much hope that these shortcomings will ever be fixed.
    Thanked by:
    James8561 likes this.

I just use Microsoft maps from the os from my 920

Does the map on your device turn as you turn around like on Symbian devices or in Here City Lense?
    of course it turn as i turn, after all its a turn by turn navigation.

Personally I find places button a waste of space. Why would one want to have a clutter of different categories pop up when you search for a thing in a particular category, like a petrol station or a car park. I found the layout better thought through on my old C7.

I love its offline map system. With that is enough for me
    TheZuneLune and Slenzen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    of course it turn as i turn, after all its a turn by turn navigation.
    Mine does turn as well mate 😊 If you lay your phone flat while using City lense and start turning around you will work out what exactly I am on about. Same compass feature was utilised in N8, C7, 808 etc. Currently when you just got your directions calculated it is difficult to work out where to go unless you walk for like 10 meters and then your map turns. But if you stand still and rotate the map will not 😊

Mine does turn as well mate 😊 If you lay your phone flat while using City lense and start turning around you will work out what exactly I am on about. Same compass feature was utilised in N8, C7, 808 etc. Currently when you just got your directions calculated it is difficult to work out where to go unless you walk for like 10 meters and then your map turns. But if you stand still and rotate the map will not 😊
    Don't know what you're on about mate, the map rotates on my phone. Also, if I'm using the camera view, there is a compass in the top right of the screen. And here map on my phone, also has a compass.

Maybe you need to update all of your map apps or something, because everything you are saying isn't so on my L920 here in the UK.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood 😁

Furthermore, why would you recommend Here Maps to another member in a different thread (Apps for when you go away on holiday UK), but say in this thread it sucks? 😵
    Last edited by Dazzi; 05-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzi View Post
    Don't know what you're on about mate, the map rotates on my phone. Also, if I'm using the camera view, there is a compass in the top right of the screen. And here map on my phone, also has a compass.

Maybe you need to update all of your map apps or something, because everything you are saying isn't so on my L920 here in the UK.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood 😁

Furthermore, why would you recommend Here Maps to another member in a different thread (Apps for when you go away on holiday UK), but say in this thread it sucks? 😵
    Well, yes the map works well in City Lense, it has got compass and everything, but when I use Here maps, although the compass icon is in the top left hand corner it is of no use. If I stand still and rotate my phone in the hand the map will not rotate as opposed to City lense. I have checked the maps they are all up to date.
    I reckon I will give up till the next update 😊
    I wonder if there is other alternative to Here maps, offline maps for pedestrians and what not? The maps are useful, but the experience is poor at least on my 820 😞

Well, yes the map works well in City Lense, it has got compass and everything, but when I use Here maps, although the compass icon is in the top left hand corner it is of no use. If I stand still and rotate my phone in the hand the map will not rotate as opposed to City lense. I have checked the maps they are all up to date.
    I reckon I will give up till the next update 😊
    I wonder if there is other alternative to Here maps, offline maps for pedestrians and what not? The maps are useful, but the experience is poor at least on my 820 😞
    Cheers for clearing that up for me -- now that makes a lot more sense to me. Sorry for misunderstanding.😁

I don't think there is unless you buy a proper satnav app for 72 -- for turn by turn directions. 😱

I wonder if they do bing maps?

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Try using HERE Maps in Chicago and its all messed up. For some reason the highways are the least priority routes !
    I passed by an airport (HERE Maps didn't know !) and the maps took me another 11 miles before it brought me back to the airport. Really ? ... and this is when I downloaded the maps offline. The online maps were no different.

I wish there was a way to reactivate Bing Maps as primary mapping application. :-(
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Here maps are ok, if you want a accurate well done turn by turn nav purchess Navigon. Its worth the money if you really rely on GPS. Here is mediocre at best here in Michigan even with the maps downloaded, usless unless you stick to expressways.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

do you even know how to read a map with compass? Here map is having the top of the phone pointing the direction of the on screen little compass. And by looking at the streets name that makes it two redundant indication of where you should start your next step. Gosh.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    do you even know how to read a map with compass? Here map is having the top of the phone pointing the direction of the on screen little compass. And by looking at the streets name that makes it two redundant indication of where you should start your next step. Gosh.
    I get you, but I didn't have to bother with it on my old C7 which came out by the way 3 years ago. Also try walking in a very dense area like Venice without compass, its a real challenge.

Going abroad today, will give it another go. 😊

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by khatta View Post
    Try using HERE Maps in Chicago and its all messed up. For some reason the highways are the least priority routes !
    I passed by an airport (HERE Maps didn't know !) and the maps took me another 11 miles before it brought me back to the airport. Really ? ... and this is when I downloaded the maps offline. The online maps were no different.

I wish there was a way to reactivate Bing Maps as primary mapping application. :-(
    This was a problem for me until I unistalled the Here Maps nd the Here Navigation apps and reinstalled them and since then the routing has been dramticlly better.

I am taking back my words since the arrival of today's update. Finally compass feature has been implemented. Live sight looks cool as well !!

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    I know they FINALLY DID IT! Livesight is a bit odd, i find it quite laggy on my 920 and its basically the same as city lens imho....

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhilr51 View Post
    I know they FINALLY DID IT! Livesight is a bit odd, i find it quite laggy on my 920 and its basically the same as city lens imho....
    But it all being in one app is more convenient, at least for me.

I still have a problem with categories, If I want to hunt for a the nearest GAS station I could do that easily with Symbian version, but the same feature is not there in Here maps. When will that come? There are about 40 to 50 categories in Symbian but there are about 7 to 8 in WP. that is very limiting.
    Last edited by skshandilya; 05-27-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skshandilya View Post
    I still have a problem with categories, If I want to hunt for a the nearest GAS station I could do that easily with Symbian version, but the same feature is not there in Here maps. When will that come? There are about 40 to 50 categories in Symbian but there are about 7 to 8 in WP. that is very limiting.
    I completely agree with you. Funnily enough I was looking for a petrol station the other day and had to type in "petrol station" in search in order to find one. It was much simpler on my old C7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast