YouTube App

anon(5973126)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft released a new YouTube app for Windows phone which is more than a glorified bookmark. While you may have your own opinions about the app, here is mine.
Obviously we all would like to see some new features like Upload a Video, TV connectivity, Multiple account login and suggestions.
I was disappointed that Microsoft didn?t follow its own design principles for this app. I found many inconsistencies, here are some of them
-> Huge YouTube logo on the top which lets me know I'm using the you tube app(Great.. Thanks!!) and even better, this logo is shown on all the pages Irrespective of the option you click.
-> No way to know my login status(yes, I know two new pages recommended & Subscriptions show up when logged in)/ login account unless you click on picture to the right of the YouTube logo. This is especially useful when you have multiple youtube accounts and would like to know which account is online as soon as you open the app. (MetroTube shows my user name on the top)
-> when you click on 'more' for recommended videos you should be able to swipe to the side to see 'more' subscription videos, 'more' trending videos.
-> similarly with watch later,history.. Etc I cannot swipe over to see other options . Instead user has to go back and click on other options.
-> As a Windows phone user I got used to having search at the bottom. This app is inconsistent with search at the top right corner.
-> account settings or login when you swipe to the side instead of a new click (I didn?t even know I could get to settings or login until I saw a demo of the app)
-> coming to the highly acclaimed Download option whats the use. You can download only small videos. I watch a lot of long movies/lectures/videos on youtube which cannot be downloaded. Also I don?t need to download and store everything. Preload option like MetroTube would be great.

This YouTube App(also Facebook) is just a port of the Android version. Not Windows Phone material. We expect better design especially when its done by Microsoft. Other Windows phone developers are doing a better job of following the design principles laid out by Microsoft, kudos to them.

While the issues I noted above may seem silly/insignificant, the design is what differentiates WP from other OS.

Let me know what you think.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft released a new YouTube app for Windows phone which is more than a glorified bookmark. While you may have your own opinions about the app, here is mine.
Obviously we all would like to see some new features like Upload a Video, TV connectivity, Multiple account login and suggestions.
I was disappointed that Microsoft didn?t follow its own design principles for this app. I found many inconsistencies, here are some of them
-> Huge YouTube logo on the top which lets me know I'm using the you tube app(Great.. Thanks!!) and even better, this logo is shown on all the pages Irrespective of the option you click.
-> No way to know my login status(yes, I know two new pages recommended & Subscriptions show up when logged in)/ login account unless you click on picture to the right of the YouTube logo. This is especially useful when you have multiple youtube accounts and would like to know which account is online as soon as you open the app. (MetroTube shows my user name on the top)
-> when you click on 'more' for recommended videos you should be able to swipe to the side to see 'more' subscription videos, 'more' trending videos.
-> similarly with watch later,history.. Etc I cannot swipe over to see other options . Instead user has to go back and click on other options.
-> As a Windows phone user I got used to having search at the bottom. This app is inconsistent with search at the top right corner.
-> account settings or login when you swipe to the side instead of a new click (I didn?t even know I could get to settings or login until I saw a demo of the app)
-> coming to the highly acclaimed Download option whats the use. You can download only small videos. I watch a lot of long movies/lectures/videos on youtube which cannot be downloaded. Also I don?t need to download and store everything. Preload option like MetroTube would be great.

This YouTube App(also Facebook) is just a port of the Android version. Not Windows Phone material. We expect better design especially when its done by Microsoft. Other Windows phone developers are doing a better job of following the design principles laid out by Microsoft, kudos to them.

While the issues I noted above may seem silly/insignificant, the design is what differentiates WP from other OS.

Let me know what you think.

Dude this app is not and android port. If it was it'all look even worse. The reason why they wanted it to be like that is because they want to keep the similarity from other OSes. while adding the metro design. Also do you even know whats the difference between ported apps and native apps?

anon(5973126)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I know its rhetorical but I don't know the difference b/w ported and native apps. For me its just a way of saying its looks more like the Android app:smile: .

Being consistent across OSes is a good excuse if the app is developed by the parent company and not by Microsoft. Thats just my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills