WEEK VIEW 8 CALENDAR UPDATE coming soon.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Week View 8 Calendars' app will be getting a nice little update maybe this week. If you haven't yet tried it you may want to soon.

I have been beta testing this for some time and find to be the calendar that should have been the native app for Windows Phone 8.
The developer has been great with any problems and is quick to respond and continues to update their app.

This update contains some bug fixes in search and details view, it also has many other new features coming.

Some of the new features are:
You can select which view to open (week, month) when a live tile is clicked on.

Week View now has 3 different live tiles sizes, you can also pin appointments to your start screen.
Selecting a light or dark theme inside the app.

The medium sized main live tile was updated to show as list of the next appointments, the current day, day name, month name and number of the current week.

Attendees of appointments are shown in the details view.
Selecting and copying text from appointment details is possible now.
New and updated replacement icons.
This is a short list so just keep your eyes open for it in the store. Week View 8 has a free trial version, so you can try it out a before purchasing or buy it $1.99

Update: 8.6 now available in the store.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/week-view-8/75848ed6-d550-4090-8e9b-50637f55faaf

Last edited:

bagstone

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic app, Hannes. Just one question:

I switched from Android to WP8 recently (err... yesterday :p) and your app is exactly what I need to replace "Android Agenda Widget", an app I got really used to. However, it would be nice if your app could support single-line items to make better use of the tile's space. Like that: http://android.calengoo.com/pagedoc/pageadvanced/pagewidgets/files/BIGsscrollagenda_zoom.png.png (obviously just a fourth of that in height, but I'm talking about the height of one calendar item).

Thanks!

HannesB

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
hi,

@mijacs: At the moment there is no 'lockscreen support'. The reason for this are technical limitations. Yes, this sounds strange but please let me explain. ;) Week View supports up to 3 live tiles and pinning appointments to the start screen. It periodically updates all pinned tiles by using a 'background task agent' (this is the way, it's done on the windows phone platform). These background task agents have strict memory limitations, for example if 12 MB are exceeded, the OS kills the background task. So it's very important for an app to stay below this limit.

Creating images dynamically (the live tiles) uses a lot of memory but week view stays below this limit.
When creating a lockscreen the app needs to create a large image dynamically and place an overlay (for example a list of appointments) on it...and maybe some more features would be nice too. :)

There can only be one 'lockscreen provider' on the phone so it's nice to have many features in one app (which is the lockscreen provider).
This is the reason, why i created 'LockScreen calendar'. (LockScreen Calendar | Windows Phone Anwendungen + Spiele Store (?sterreich))

It allows you to choose a background image ore use a daily new image from bing. Gets your current location and queries for the current weather at your location. Additionally it shows a list of appointments.

I tried to add these features to Week View but when testing it, the memory limit of the background task agent was exceeded.
This is something i wanted to avoid of course. Downloading a bing image, getting the current location, querying for weather data and creating a dynamic overlay images uses a lot of memory and gets very close to the 12 MB limit. So 'LockScreen calendar' has no live tiles since additionally updating these live tiles would exceed the memory limit of the background task agent.

I hope, i was able to explain the reasons for a second app - it's technical limitations and i really wanted to separate these two apps so none could interfere the other.

@bagstone: Creating some kind of 'agenda view' is already on my todo list. Thanks for the screenshot - looks really nice + has the advantage over the built in agenda view that much more appointments are visible! I already have many suggestions on my list for the next update + will see what i am able to add. :)

best regards,
Hannes

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@HannesB: Thank you for the explanation.

I did not mean for it to create a wallpaper but to use the detailed text (the three lines of text on the lock screen). The standard calendar will give you your next appointment if it is soon. It might be possible to allow the user to see the next three appointments.

Thanks for the wonderful app.

HannesB

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
hi,

@mijacs: ok, so you want to see the next 3 appointments - instead of the 1 appointments that is provided by the default calendar.
According to: Lock screen notifications for Windows Phone 8
The lock screen's app icon, count, and text are pulled directly from the app's default Tile.
Adding this functionality should be possibe - i will test this and add it to the next update, if possible.

@etphoto: sorry, but i don't know what you would like to do.
Do you want to open the month view, when starting the app?
Do you want to see the month view on the live tile?
All these things can be configured in the settings of week view.

best regards,
Hannes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99