Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) app no longer happening

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Several months back I had emailed Royal Bank of Canada to ask about a WP app, and was told it was being developed. Also read elsewhere on internet that it was coming. Recently checked their facebook page and saw conflicting info, so I posted a question and was told "sorry for the confusion but there are no plans for one". Guessing some of their staff didn't know the difference between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 and confused the two.

Really disappointed. They're even developing a BB10 app, but I guess they previously had a BB app and they are a Canadian company.

Probably doesn't help that best Windows phones (Lumias) are really hard to come by on Canadian carriers.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main reason BB is hanging on is because of national pride as I see tons of Canadians with the new BBs and many still use the archaic ones. This can only keep them afloat for so long though.

Then, once they are gone, the Canadian banks and developers will have no choice but to consider the windows phone platform.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
well the sham of all of that (if it is true) is they have all the code behind built if the make a WIndows 8 app.

Ya exactly. When they release the Windows 8 app i tried it out I got excited because it almost looked like it was designed for WP8 as well. Check out the screenshots, a lot of the sections on each page actually look like they'd fit perfect on a phone screen.
RBC Canada app for Windows in the Windows Store

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
That is sad news, although it doesn't really affect me cause the site works perfectly fine on WP8 IE so yeah...not the mobile site the desktop site.

Josh Mackey

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like its time to decompile the Win8 App then reverse engineer their API for a WP8 app. :D

I've been debating about just making my own.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
MS really needs to step up their game with WP in Canada. It is absolutely deplorable that more of the Canada specific apps aren't available.

slalom

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
"sorry for the confusion but there are no plans for one". Guessing some of their staff didn't know the difference between windows phone 8 and windows 8 and confused the two.

doh!

Why would they even bother with a Windows 8 App. The web site works fine in the browser!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
MS really needs to step up their game with WP in Canada. It is absolutely deplorable that more of the Canada specific apps aren't available.

Canadian companies are too busy clinging to the sinking ship that is Blackberry so I doubt they will dedicate resources to a 4th platform.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wait - there's a Win8 app, and no WP8 app??? It's trivial to convert from one to the other.

Doesn't surprise me, though. I work for a division of Union Bank, that was bought from PNC, that was bought from RBC... Yeah, go figure that one out.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh well... I guess we'll never be royals
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler
You can call me queen bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
Let me live that fantasy

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I got this from a rep back in July after commenting on the Windows 8 app.
"We recognize that some clients are using Windows Mobile smartphones, and I'm pleased to tell you we'll be offering apps for these devices at a later date."

That said, I suggest we take this to Microsoft and Nokia. I'm not sure what their employees are doing (besides not using Windows Phone) in in this country, it's needlessly barebones here (i.e. no banking apps, really?).

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got this from a rep back in July after commenting on the Windows 8 app.
"We recognize that some clients are using Windows Mobile smartphones, and I'm pleased to tell you we'll be offering apps for these devices at a later date."

That said, I suggest we take this to Microsoft and Nokia. I'm not sure what their employees are doing (besides not using Windows Phone) in in this country, it's needlessly barebones here (i.e. no banking apps, really?).

I do agree lack of banking apps hurt any platform.

It still plagues BB10 platform with US banks.

Though, most banks these days do offer a fairly robust mobile version online.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
It was only last month that RBC Canada stated there was no Windows Phone app in the works. But today RBC Canada commented on a post on their Facebook page stating a Windows Phone app is coming soon. This is great news!

"...great question! We're happy to say that the Windows phone app is coming soon. No release date has been set yet. To keep up with the latest, check Mobile Banking - RBC Royal Bank --Sandra, Montreal, QC"

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It was only last month that RBC Canada stated there was no Windows Phone app in the works. But today RBC Canada commented on a post on their Facebook page stating a Windows Phone app is coming soon. This is great news!

"...great question! We're happy to say that the Windows phone app is coming soon. No release date has been set yet. To keep up with the latest, check Mobile Banking - RBC Royal Bank --Sandra, Montreal, QC"
Something tells me it's going to be a case of RBC USA or RBC Dominion/Securities/Awards having a WP app, but NOT a standard mobile banking app for WP users.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Very cool to see it acknowledged on the website. Their Facebook team often seems very confused, having flip-flopped on the state of a WP8 app for the past year. I think part of the problem is some people confuse WP8 and Windows8. Now hopefully the webpage isn't referring to the Win8 app and accidently included the word "phone". Is the Win8 app considered a mobile app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss