Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Several months back I had emailed Royal Bank of Canada to ask about a WP app, and was told it was being developed. Also read elsewhere on internet that it was coming. Recently checked their facebook page and saw conflicting info, so I posted a question and was told "sorry for the confusion but there are no plans for one". Guessing some of their staff didn't know the difference between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 and confused the two.

Really disappointed. They're even developing a BB10 app, but I guess they previously had a BB app and they are a Canadian company.

Probably doesn't help that best Windows phones (Lumias) are really hard to come by on Canadian carriers.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main reason BB is hanging on is because of national pride as I see tons of Canadians with the new BBs and many still use the archaic ones. This can only keep them afloat for so long though.

Then, once they are gone, the Canadian banks and developers will have no choice but to consider the windows phone platform.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    well the sham of all of that (if it is true) is they have all the code behind built if the make a WIndows 8 app.
    Ya exactly. When they release the Windows 8 app i tried it out I got excited because it almost looked like it was designed for WP8 as well. Check out the screenshots, a lot of the sections on each page actually look like they'd fit perfect on a phone screen.
    RBC Canada app for Windows in the Windows Store

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    That is sad news, although it doesn't really affect me cause the site works perfectly fine on WP8 IE so yeah...not the mobile site the desktop site.

Sounds like its time to decompile the Win8 App then reverse engineer their API for a WP8 app. :D

I've been debating about just making my own.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    MS really needs to step up their game with WP in Canada. It is absolutely deplorable that more of the Canada specific apps aren't available.

Global Posts
    1,204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pipe7 View Post
    "sorry for the confusion but there are no plans for one". Guessing some of their staff didn't know the difference between windows phone 8 and windows 8 and confused the two.
    doh!

Why would they even bother with a Windows 8 App. The web site works fine in the browser!

Quote Originally Posted by BaritoneGuy View Post
    MS really needs to step up their game with WP in Canada. It is absolutely deplorable that more of the Canada specific apps aren't available.
    Canadian companies are too busy clinging to the sinking ship that is Blackberry so I doubt they will dedicate resources to a 4th platform.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Mackey View Post
    Sounds like its time to decompile the Win8 App then reverse engineer their API for a WP8 app. :D

I've been debating about just making my own.
    I would buy that off you for sure.
    Wait - there's a Win8 app, and no WP8 app??? It's trivial to convert from one to the other.

Doesn't surprise me, though. I work for a division of Union Bank, that was bought from PNC, that was bought from RBC... Yeah, go figure that one out.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Oh well... I guess we'll never be royals
    It don't run in our blood
    That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz
    Let me be your ruler
    You can call me queen bee
    And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
    Let me live that fantasy

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I got this from a rep back in July after commenting on the Windows 8 app.
    "We recognize that some clients are using Windows Mobile smartphones, and I'm pleased to tell you we'll be offering apps for these devices at a later date."

That said, I suggest we take this to Microsoft and Nokia. I'm not sure what their employees are doing (besides not using Windows Phone) in in this country, it's needlessly barebones here (i.e. no banking apps, really?).

Global Posts
    8,519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    I got this from a rep back in July after commenting on the Windows 8 app.
    "We recognize that some clients are using Windows Mobile smartphones, and I'm pleased to tell you we'll be offering apps for these devices at a later date."

That said, I suggest we take this to Microsoft and Nokia. I'm not sure what their employees are doing (besides not using Windows Phone) in in this country, it's needlessly barebones here (i.e. no banking apps, really?).

I do agree lack of banking apps hurt any platform.

It still plagues BB10 platform with US banks.

Though, most banks these days do offer a fairly robust mobile version online.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020
    Device: Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 (GDR3 + Black)
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1​
    Twitter: @simundsonk

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Simundson View Post
    I do agree lack of banking apps hurt any platform.

It still plagues BB10 platform with US banks.

Though, most banks these days do offer a fairly robust mobile version online.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020
    Except for RBC.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Rbc online is ok. But an app like their win8 app would be killer for their customers like me.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    It was only last month that RBC Canada stated there was no Windows Phone app in the works. But today RBC Canada commented on a post on their Facebook page stating a Windows Phone app is coming soon. This is great news!

"...great question! We're happy to say that the Windows phone app is coming soon. No release date has been set yet. To keep up with the latest, check Mobile Banking - RBC Royal Bank --Sandra, Montreal, QC"

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormango View Post
    It was only last month that RBC Canada stated there was no Windows Phone app in the works. But today RBC Canada commented on a post on their Facebook page stating a Windows Phone app is coming soon. This is great news!

"...great question! We're happy to say that the Windows phone app is coming soon. No release date has been set yet. To keep up with the latest, check Mobile Banking - RBC Royal Bank --Sandra, Montreal, QC"
    Something tells me it's going to be a case of RBC USA or RBC Dominion/Securities/Awards having a WP app, but NOT a standard mobile banking app for WP users.

i sent an message on FB asking about when its coming out for windowsphone 8 :

Hi , great question and we're happy to say, that it's coming down the pike soon. Keep tabs here -> Mobile Banking - RBC Royal Bank - Luc, Moncton, NB

I would assume that the mobile app is coming for Windows Phone 8 based on the recent notice regarding Important Updates to RBC Mobile App.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlineb...ht_mobile.html

I don't know about everybody else, but this is the first time I've actually seen something from the RBC website acknowledging the Windows Phone 8 app.

I for one am looking forward to it.

Very cool to see it acknowledged on the website. Their Facebook team often seems very confused, having flip-flopped on the state of a WP8 app for the past year. I think part of the problem is some people confuse WP8 and Windows8. Now hopefully the webpage isn't referring to the Win8 app and accidently included the word "phone". Is the Win8 app considered a mobile app?

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pipe7 View Post
    Very cool to see it acknowledged on the website. Their Facebook team often seems very confused, having flip-flopped on the state of a WP8 app for the past year. I think part of the problem is some people confuse WP8 and Windows8. Now hopefully the webpage isn't referring to the Win8 app and accidently included the word "phone". Is the Win8 app considered a mobile app?
    Nope, it's considered by RBC a 'tablet app.'