Help: Question about Runtastic

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Runtastic (the free version to try it out first) on my Lumia 920 so I can track my daily walks. The app seems fairly straightforward, but I'm not sure what a couple of the options on the Map screen are for. Couldn't find any information on Runtastic's web site, so thought I'd ask here to see if any Runtastic users can help me. So on the map screen, what are the "Follow Me" and "Unlock/Lock Map" options for? When I start a walk, will the app track my route automatically, or do I have to press on "Follow Me" first? Or do I have to press on "Unlock Map"? Some basic instructions on how to use the app would be helpful. All I really need to do is just track the distance and duration of my walks.

Also, has anyone used Endomondo? How does it compare to Runtastic? Endomondo seems to have a simpler UI, but Runtastic seems to be doing a better job of supporting Windows Phone.

Thanks!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have tried Runtastic and my experience wasn't very positive with it. It had a hard time trying to get my gps to find me...but there have been several updates since :)

I have the pro version and the lock screen, if you press it, you can move the map around, if you lock it, where you are will be the center of the screen. I believe follow me will leave kind of a track to wear you ran. I am not sure what happens if you press it or if you activate it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
FYI: I just tried Runtastic and all the issues I had before have been fixed! The follow me is just to track where you went to. I like it a lot. You don;t need to change anything. Today I ran 3.43 miles, which was actually more walking than running... it is now my go to app for running!

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, rdubmu! Don't quite get why that lock/unlock feature is even necessary. Don't see why someone would need to lock the map. It seems to me that if you run outside the map area shown on the app, you would need to unlock the map to see where you are.

So if I don't tap on "Follow Me", the app will only calculate the distance traveled, but not show the route on the map? Do you have to tap "Follow Me" if you want to save the route? It would be nice if the app came with instructions.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use runtastic to map my bike rides. First off, the unlock/lock map feature is only necessary because of the design of the app. If the map is unlocked you can zoom in and manipulate the map. But if you want to swipe to the left or right to "Details" or "Split" and the map is unlocked, you will just be moving the map around instead of moving to the next tab.

I haven't used the "Follow Me" part but I assume it just makes it possible to see your position in real time while your looking at the map. You don't need to use "follow me" to map your walk for later viewing. Hope that helps.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, smoheath! Now the map lock/unlock feature finally makes sense. I guess the "Follow Me" feature would be good if you're in an unfamiliar place and want to keep track of where you are. Good to know I don't need to activate it in order to map my walk.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Another question for Runtastic Pro users. Does the Runtastic Pro app for Windows Phone 8 give the option to set a "Workout Goal" when choosing a workout? In other words, can I set a pace, distance, time, or calories goal? I saw that feature in one of Runtastic's Android app video tutorials, so I was curious if the same feature is available for the Windows Phone 8 app. I'm currently trying out the free Runtastic app on my Nokia Lumia 920 and don't see "Workout Goal" as an option under "Workouts". If that option is available in the Pro version, I'll probably upgrade. I noticed the Endomondo app offers the option to set goals. It would be a nice feature to have.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, rdubmu! Don't quite get why that lock/unlock feature is even necessary. Don't see why someone would need to lock the map. It seems to me that if you run outside the map area shown on the app, you would need to unlock the map to see where you are.

So if I don't tap on "Follow Me", the app will only calculate the distance traveled, but not show the route on the map? Do you have to tap "Follow Me" if you want to save the route? It would be nice if the app came with instructions.

The follow me is turned on by default.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon