Developer needs ideas for a new app

Protrek

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have a good working roadcam. Mount The Phone in Your windscreen and start recording Your drive. If u crash The app would save (gsensor) last couple of Minutes. Or u tap The screen to manualsave. If u do nothing The video Will be deleted. I would also love to save The video easy on my computer... Its a couple of This apps Out, but no one is resent updated, and do not work good. (one cant delete videos, one cant send via mail, and one makes Your Phone freeze.)

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
An app that displays all the most requested apps [for instance: instagram] with, if known, the release date.

ex:

instagram - unknown
youtube - 1/1/13

etc with nice icons and such

Fritz Blackburn

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
With all the WP8 / Nokia problems of excessive battery drain that are fixed by power cycling the phone.....
How about an app that kills all running / background apps (except the ones authorized in BACKGROUND), clears the memory, clears the music history on the volume bar.
The equivalent of turning the phone off and back on.

Fritz

Charles Barnhart

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How about a video player that allows simple edit (length, brightness, color balance) and, more importantly, slow motion playback at a variety of speeds including step or fram-by-frame?

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
With all the WP8 / Nokia problems of excessive battery drain that are fixed by power cycling the phone.....
How about an app that kills all running / background apps (except the ones authorized in BACKGROUND), clears the memory, clears the music history on the volume bar.

Fritz

IMO This is a big NO for WP8 as this essentially turns WP8 into Android and opens the floodgate of malwares.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well being in Italy, may not be of interest to you to do this one, but Fantasy Football (NFL) is huge in the US. There does not appear as of yet to be a fully featured app that allows you to manage your Yahoo Fantasy or CBS Fantasy teams. There is no CBS one for sure, there's not one for that at all. The Yahoo one, there are ones that allow you to manage, but if there's a way to look at and add a player from the free agents list, I haven't seen it, thus, not full featured. Speaking as someone who does Fantasy Football every year, the ability to add a player from the free agent list, as opposed to just moving players off the bench, is something I'd pay for in an app as long as the app was a good one because it's the difference of being able to be out of the house and make changes and running home to do so.

I can second this. Actually I'm in the beginning stage of making my own Yahoo FF app before I discovered StatGnome - Football. It has almost identical UI in my mind, and it has 99% of what I want to do EXCEPT adding/dropping players. Still debating whether I should redo 99% of what others have done and just add this 1%. Doesn't sound right somehow.

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
As always, thank you for your help!
I'll reply to everyone's ideas :)

I want an app or some kind of plug in to my email accounts that lets me send a specific email to my Tasks or Calendar as a new item. So if I get an email that basically means I need to call a meeting, I can send the email with all the text to my Calendar, set the date and time, attendees, etc and save to my calendar, with all the info included in the notes/description field. Ditto if I send the email to my Tasks folder...the email body gets sent to my new Task in the notes/description field and I set the due dates/status etc.

Just as good but not as essential, the same functionality with text messages.

Before digging into your idea, I've got to say that there's nothing we can do with text messages as we're not allowed to read them.
This may be happening in a near future but chances are pretty low.

Now, coming to your idea, I'll try to see if I got it right.
You mean something like a mail client which reads from 2 folders, one named Tasks and another one named Calendar and, based on the working folder, it parses the emails to create a new calendar entry (I'm not sure of what you mean with Tasks on WP!)?

If so, I need to see if there's a good IMAP library available on WP (the Windows 8 one should work but I'm not that sure). Having this library, it should be relatively easy.

I'll investigate it ASAP.

I would like a beatport.com app, not a single one exists and I want one on WP :) please

I've spent some time in trying to figure out a good UI for a Beatport app because I loved the idea (i'm a DJ and producer :D) but today I've found out that they have closed the access to their API, requiring a registration and a something like 14 days of waiting to give you an answer.
This means that I cannot test anything at the moment and making the app will require a little bit of extra time (I'm still trying to design a good UI though!)

what if we put the songs in the images folder??? will the app be able to import them then???

Unfortunately, we can't access those folders.
The only way that we have is to use the MediaLibrary class, which won't let us work with files.
So, if there's a mp3 in the Pictures folders, this will be simply ignored by the MediaLibrary class :(

I heard that Nokia will release a File Manager soon, maybe this will be an opportunity to have some basic file access API!

Thanks for the reply.

I have actually tried that app and it's not that great tbh.

Anyway, here's another suggestion but I'm not sure if it is possible to be implemented due to the nature of the OS.

Since I've had my WP, I (and many other users) have had regular issues with live tiles not updating and having to manually open the apps in order for the tile to be updated. It's most probably related to the number of background tasks enabled in the settings which is easy enough to check but in some occasions, an app will be set to allow notifications but it won't be on the list so troubleshooting which apps need to have their settings changed can take a lot of time.

It would be great if there was an app that could list every single app on the phone that has a setting to allow live tiles and background notifications and whether it is enabled for those apps. When the live tiles fail, it would be handy to work out if any apps installed recently need to have any settings changed or whether and other apps aren't need to have that feature enabled.

I hope that makes sense.

Windows Phone API doesn't allow us to access the list of installed apps so there's no way to let it work!

Can you please tell me why the app that I linked is not that great? Just to understand if I can do better :)

I would like to have a good working roadcam. Mount The Phone in Your windscreen and start recording Your drive. If u crash The app would save (gsensor) last couple of Minutes. Or u tap The screen to manualsave. If u do nothing The video Will be deleted. I would also love to save The video easy on my computer... Its a couple of This apps Out, but no one is resent updated, and do not work good. (one cant delete videos, one cant send via mail, and one makes Your Phone freeze.)

This sounds quite cool.
I'll see what I can do and I'll let you know!
What I can say now is that, probably, you can't attach the video to the email but I think that it can be saved into SkyDrive so we still have some kind of "backup" option!

An app that displays all the most requested apps [for instance: instagram] with, if known, the release date.

ex:

instagram - unknown
youtube - 1/1/13

etc with nice icons and such

Something like a "coming soon" app?
Though this can be done, there's one problem: where do we get the data?
Maybe a partnership with the developers will help in doing this app, I'll tee what I can do!

An app that diagnoses problems your phone may be facing, and solutions available.

Even if this has already been said, this is kinda impossible.
Some OEMs have their diagnostics apps (and the Samsung one did the Interop Unlock!) but there's no way to access all those infos!

A fast and simple browser that supports flash..

Yesterday I got this app for free but I've not tested it yet, maybe is what you need!
FlashVideo | Store di app e giochi per Windows Phone (Italia)

Fritz

Unfortunately there's nothing that we can do for this kind of stuff!
Our can't touch anything in the system!

How about a video player that allows simple edit (length, brightness, color balance) and, more importantly, slow motion playback at a variety of speeds including step or fram-by-frame?

This is an interesting idea but WP has a limitation: apps can't access video library.
This means that we can build a video editor, but we can just edit videos registered with the app (and saved in our app's folder).
BTW, recording a video and editing it before saving it to the media library could be an interesting thing but I'm not sure if I can do this!

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There's no proper Gmail app in the app store. Most, if not all, of them are wrappers around the mobile site. The OS mail app is decent but it doesn't handle some Gmail only features. Would be nice if you could develop one.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have one for you!

I would love an app to track movies I'd like to see. Basically, I open the app up, see what's currently playing/coming soon, mark it as "Want to see" and then exit the app to find a counter showing the total number. (Maybe you could go as far as ANY movie, maybe anything listed on Imdb or something?) Basically, if you've seen Rudy Huyn's "TVShow" app, I'd love the same thing only for movies.

y2bd

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have one for you!

I would love an app to track movies I'd like to see. Basically, I open the app up, see what's currently playing/coming soon, mark it as "Want to see" and then exit the app to find a counter showing the total number. (Maybe you could go as far as ANY movie, maybe anything listed on Imdb or something?) Basically, if you've seen Rudy Huyn's "TVShow" app, I'd love the same thing only for movies.

This is probably the first doable idea in this thread! OP, if you have a design sense this might be for you. Hook into IMDB for the info.

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There's no proper Gmail app in the app store. Most, if not all, of them are wrappers around the mobile site. The OS mail app is decent but it doesn't handle some Gmail only features. Would be nice if you could develop one.

Can you please tell me more about those features?

I have one for you!

This is quite a nice idea but, unfortunatel, IMDB doesn't allow any API access.
There are some third party API but they're limited to 30 requests per hour, making impossible to develop a serious app.
So I'm asking you, since I don't use those services, is it the same if the app will work with Netflix or Rotten Tomatoes?

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you please tell me more about those features?
features like archiving, priority inbox, labels (though this is available kinda).

if you've an iOS device, try installing the Mailbox app which is a third party Gmail app much better than the native Gmail app.

Ayush Upadhyay

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Almost all the google services have some 3rd party alternatives in WP. However, the Hangouts (video + Chat Integration) feature of Google is not yet on any app in Windows Phone. Googe Talk is handled fine by most of the apps like IM+. But no Hangouts. If you could make an app that would provide thw whole hangout experience, It would be awesome. Maybe later you can add facebook video call option in it.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
An app that gives the names and locations of fishing holes in your area along with types of fish in said areas. I think that's just a little bit of my redneck side talking and I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such a big database. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire