Bad news for those using Metrotalk... Google says "no more"

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Third-party apps for Google Voice have six months to live. Google said today that it is ending support for apps that "are making unauthorized use of Google Voice" by providing calling and SMS services. "These apps violate our terms of service and pose a threat to your security," said Nikhyl Singhal, director of real-time communications, in a post on Google+. "So we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014."

Source : The Verge
Google Voice to deny access to third-party apps next year | The Verge

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Truly a sad day as I use Google Voice for work. That'll teach me for using their products.

On a side note, what's the chance that devs can still keep making a GV app? I mean MetroTube is still around even though there is no office Youtube app.

Last edited:

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Assuming MetroTalk does go away, here is a heartfelt thanks for providing an invaluable application with excellent support. Kudos Andreas and company, your app will be severely missed

I was just considering an android phone (nexus 5 or LG G2) as my second/backup phone to my Lumina 925. This will definitely enter into my consideration as a matter of protest. I just may have to port my GV# to a second Windows Phone.

gottago

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well even w/o an official youtube app from google, there's still metrotube. I'm sure Andreas can still make an app for GV if he so chose to.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, Google Voice or a 3rd party app like MetroTalk is essential for me. Throughout the day, I rely on the app to give me a notification that I received a text, call or VM. I don't have a texting plan, and GV works very well for me. Many of my contacts use my GV number. If it ends up that Google does not develop an app for GV and MetroTalk is gone by May 2014, I may be less likely to use WP OS.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, Google Voice or a 3rd party app like MetroTalk is essential for me. Throughout the day, I rely on the app to give me a notification that I received a text, call or VM. I don't have a texting plan, and GV works very well for me. Many of my contacts use my GV number. If it ends up that Google does not develop an app for GV and MetroTalk is gone by May 2014, I may be less likely to use WP OS.

thats (at least part of) the point

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

As painful as it would be, I'd give up GV before leaving WP. It's not just about the principle of it, but that definitely is a big part of it. Why can't Skype be ... more? :eck:

And GV on WP won't be completely inoperable. There are levels of survival I am prepared to accept ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas