With Google killing GoogleVoice, what are other options?

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So I can either leave windows phone and go back to iOS, or try to find a work around with google voice. Is there another program/app that will work similar to gv where I can forward my gv # to? Would I be able to forward my gv# to say Skype? I'd even be willing to pay for another app if needed, something like phonebooth. Anybody have any suggestions?

xenogodusa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
So I can either leave windows phone and go back to iOS, or try to find a work around with google voice. Is there another program/app that will work similar to gv where I can forward my gv # to? Would I be able to forward my gv# to say Skype? I'd even be willing to pay for another app if needed, something like phonebooth. Anybody have any suggestions?

There's a couple of options.

For outbound calls - Get a Skype Out subscription and setup the caller ID using your Google Voice number as the caller ID number. Just do the the text verification works with Google Voice and within a few days it should be working. For every call you make using the Skype program it will show the Google Voice number as the caller ID. Just be sure to add the people in your address book into the Skype address book. Then combine (or merge) what ever contact entries are the same so you don't have a bunch of repeat contacts listed. This also makes it easy then to dial a contact using the Skype application.

For incoming calls - These are setup on the Google Voice website, so when your at a computer make the necessary changes.

Web browser calling/texting - You can also access the text message/calling functionality by using your phone's web browser. Only limitations are that you don't get a "dialer" screen you can use, but if you dial your google voice number you can easily use the automated process to place a call. If you figure out how (I forgot how I did it) you can make shortcuts to commonly used numbers for texting or calling... I can text someone I know by using a bookmarked web address that has there phone number in it.

Low Tech Way - Edit your contact lists so that they all follow the format: "{google voice number},,2,{phone number to dial here},#". Of don't use the quotes, substitute "google voice number" with your actual Google Voice Number, the "phone number to dial here" with the actual phone number your going to dial and if necessary edit the sequence with your PIN number in the correct place. The "," are pauses between the dialing sequence

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2