Why I keep so many weather apps running.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a screenshot of my Weather folder, opened...showing all the live tiles:

WKfpX78.jpg

You'll notice the live tiles are radically different.

The apps in the left column are:

Atmosphere (paid, full version)
Weatherbug
Weathr (paid, full version)
Vieather

Right column apps are (obviously):
Accuweather
Cortana's weather interest (Bing weather)

All live tiles are set to update as frequently as possible, when possible in the app, and before I took this screenshot (6:53PM yesterday), I launched all the apps to try and update the live tile.

For the record, Weatherbug, Cortana, and Weathr are the ones to trust here.

Vieather says the live tile last updated at 11:23PM. What it doesn't tell you is that as of yesterday at 6:53PM, Vieather's live tile had last updated Friday at 11:23 pm.

Accuweather's live tile is quite far off, and Atmosphere...well, I love the look of the app, and if it had a better radar it might be my go-to weather app....but its live tile is about 16 hours off.

Weatherbug updates the live tile very frequently, has a fabulous radar, a couple cool features inside, and would be my go-to app, but they haven't updated in months, and I don't expect to see a transparent live tile from them anytime soon.

As I said, Weathr is better lately, but as of a week or so ago, its live tile was just as bad as the others...not sure I can trust it yet.

Cortana's live tile is close, has a good forecast, but also that blank "Weather Near Me" side that tells me nothing.

I love all these apps for different reasons, but live tiles that don't update for 12, 16, 36 hours? These are apps that are supposedly optimized for WP8.1, and its ability to update live tiles every minute...even on 8.0 they could update every 15 minutes...

On the upside, seeing all those weather tiles slide around the live folder tile is pretty cool :)

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting! For my own use I've found that 4castr is almost always spot on and agrees with Cortana within a couple of degrees.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I use amazing weather HD for its lockscreen forecasts and simple app beauty. I also have 4castr running because it has a simple and accurate transparent tile, not to mention the action center audio notifications are just too damn awesome.

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
just looking at the difference in forecast
between the different apps
I use
Amazing weather HD
Melbourne weather
weather to go

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
For the record, Atmosphere Weather was updated today, and one of the fixes was the live tile. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon