Not AGAIN?! New features for OneDrive for IOS while Windows Phone waits

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has once again shot itself in the foot and updated the OneDrive app for IOS with new features, ahead of Windows Phone. See the link below.

Microsoft updates OneDrive for iOS, Windows Phone updates coming soon - Neowin

I don't understand it. What does Microsoft really think of its loyal base of long suffering WP fans because this is unacceptable IMHO. We wait and we wait and we wait. Yet, they want more adoption of WP, they want more official apps from the devs, they want more traction from OEMs and better support from carriers, this does not help. It's small, it's subtle but it's entirely the wrong message to be sending out and it's so simple to fix: Put. WP. First.

What does the community think, should Microsoft be putting WP first in everything, even the little things?

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the updated features is something to be up in arms about. I understand that as a MSFT device it should get the update, but to be honest I don't feel as if the update iOS just received is something to be bent out of shape about. The feature will come eventually.

As to answer your question, I don't know really and at the same time I care very little. I hardly pay attention to what features other OS have when it comes to MSFT apps. I only care that the app is functional and works as intended. Parity between the three is of little importance because I don't care what another platform app may have because I I don't use said platform. It is like the great poet Sean "Jay-Z" Carter once said, "What you eat does not make me defecate."

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the updated features is something to be up in arms about. I understand that as a MSFT device it should get the update, but to be honest I don't feel as if the update iOS just received is something to be bent out of shape about. The feature will come eventually.

As to answer your question, I don't know really and at the same time I care very little. I hardly pay attention to what features other OS have when it comes to MSFT apps. I only care that the app is functional and works as intended. Parity between the three is of little importance because I don't care what another platform app may have because I I don't use said platform. It is like the great poet Sean "Jay-Z" Carter once said, "What you eat does not make me defecate."

This is a wrong way of thought... WP users keep cutting them slack and really minor things like, oh, being able to attach locally stored, non-picture files to an EMAIL is lacking on WP! They really are on the wrong track here.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, it's not so much what you or I think as users, frustrating as that is for me, (granted, not for you Aresjr21). It's more about the general perception that it promotes as it's splashed over the front pages of Techblogs - Windows Phone seemingly ignored by its in-house development team in favour of other platforms yet again. Put simply, it allows devs etc to continue dragging their feet with WP support when the platform needs all the help it can get at this time.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
This is a wrong way of thought... WP users keep cutting them slack and really minor things like, oh, being able to attach locally stored, non-picture files to an EMAIL is lacking on WP! They really are on the wrong track here.

It may not be right and I understand what you are saying, I am saying for me I just look for functionality and the app to just work hands down.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It may not be right and I understand what you are saying, I am saying for me I just look for functionality and the app to just work hands down.

To be honest, I'm still waiting for the functionality that I had in Live Mesh. Just like Windows Phone, Microsoft rebooted the entire architecture in response to Dropbox and Google Drive which, at that time, emerged long after Live Mesh. And now here we are, fighting for relevance all over again.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

And that is what has been keeping WP alive, really. The things that *do* work, really work very well.
But the slow addition of new features and being able to do more is what's keeping WP down.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't care much if they updated it on iOS as Apple plays fair with MS.
I would have definitely irked if they had updated in on Android first.
Reason -
Google plays unfair with WP users by not porting their apps.MS should treat Google as they treat us. I am almost sure that Android is next in line as long as update is concerned but MS should revisit their attitude towards WP users as well!

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I'm still waiting for the functionality that I had in Live Mesh. Just like Windows Phone, Microsoft rebooted the entire architecture in response to Dropbox and Google Drive which, at that time, emerged long after Live Mesh. And now here we are, fighting for relevance all over again.

What functionality was that by chance? I came to Windows mobile late 2008, don't really remember live mesh mainly because I didn't use it but I do remember my phone.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to see you go, which WP are you saying goodbye to?

Lumia 920.... Which I'm happily going to keep hold of to see if windows phone actually does improve like Microsoft says it will. The apps just aren't good enough, quality wise.

What phone do you have?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't care much if they updated it on iOS as Apple plays fair with MS.
I would have definitely irked if they had updated in on Android first.
Reason -
Google plays unfair with WP users by not porting their apps.MS should treat Google as they treat us. I am almost sure that Android is next in line as long as update is concerned but MS should revisit their attitude towards WP users as well!

They already did: Microsoft updates OneDrive for Android, gets improved search, new sharing view, and more

:grin: :grin: :grin:

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920.... Which I'm happily going to keep hold of to see if windows phone actually does improve like Microsoft says it will. The apps just aren't good enough, quality wise.

What phone do you have?

I've got a 930 and I absolutely love it. Still got an HTC 8X too which I now use as a work phone. I don't think I could ever switch to IOS, even when Microsoft sometimes falters like this. There's something completely compelling about the OS and the way it integrates and is uniquely personal in ways neither IOS nor Android can touch.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
What functionality was that by chance? I came to Windows mobile late 2008, don't really remember live mesh mainly because I didn't use it but I do remember my phone.

Live Mesh was able to sync multiple local folders of your choice across multiple desktops. While it's great to have cloud storage, there are plenty of scenarios where you'd like to keep your stuff in a local folder structure. I store only a few select documents on OneDrive but they are also duplicated on my local file system. I don't want to break that file/folder structure and move it all into the local OneDrive folder in order for it to sync to the cloud. Live Mesh was able to do just that - selectively add local file/folders to sync, keeping your data structure in tact. Simple and effective.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Live Mesh was able to sync multiple local folders of your choice across multiple desktops. While it's great to have cloud storage, there are plenty of scenarios where you'd like to keep your stuff in a local folder structure. I store only a few select documents on OneDrive but they are also duplicated on my local file system. I don't want to break that file/folder structure and move it all into the local OneDrive folder in order for it to sync to the cloud. Live Mesh was able to do just that - selectively add local file/folders to sync, keeping your data structure in tact. Simple and effective.
Aww tthat's pretty cool. It does sound very similar to what you can do in OneDrive now. Just a precursor to OneDrive it sounds. Still pretty cool.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 930 and I absolutely love it. Still got an HTC 8X too which I now use as a work phone. I don't think I could ever switch to IOS, even when Microsoft sometimes falters like this. There's something completely compelling about the OS and the way it integrates and is uniquely personal in ways neither IOS nor Android can touch.

I see where your coming from and time will tell if it was a good investment. I will put on a some type of review comparing both OS features.

What features do you think set Windows Phone apart?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786