Do they make an App that reads to you?

jwckauman

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I want an app that reads to me. Whatever I have up on the screen, I want to hit a button and have it read it back to me. This is so I can listen to blogs while I run. Do they make anything like that?

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes they do. They have been in the store for a while now. I use share to speech, **** there are a couple more (read aloud I think).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, SoundGecko is shutting down. Now I really hope we'll be able to ask Cortana to read things to us. Have any new good text to speech apps shown up, preferably with some kind of 'share to' function that also works from a desktop browser?

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
As the author of the Share to Speech app, I can tell you that it is unlikely that SoundGecko like app will appear. As you are probably aware, it was not withdrawn from the Windows Phone Store, but from all platforms.

If you quote their service provider NeoSpeech (or any other good service like Ivona), you will see that it is pretty expensive game to offer such service. They offered too much for free and it didn't make sense for them to continue (my guess, official reason is that they want to focus on Omny Radio, but why would they shut down their service if it was making money for them as long as it worked, and especially for the app that has less than 10 downloads per day on Android).

So, it is likely that every app that appears (well not just for WP but for every phone out there) will have to use phone's speech engine, which is probably better on WP than on other platforms. But there comes another catch. If you want the screen to be off during the speech, you have to implement the background player. So you are limited to something like 20 MB of memory, and the speech is memory intensive, so things become tricky. And then the background player is completely different app from UI app, and as in the speech changes happen quickly, it turns into the nightmare to sync them. All in all no one implemented that till now except me, and from financial side I think it has not paid off, but it was still an interesting effort.

Things that you can realistically expect - no new cloud speech apps, maybe some app with background player, and more likely just some new apps that use local engine with screen on (which is pretty easy to make and it is strange there aren't more of them).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As the author of the Share to Speech app, I can tell you that it is unlikely that SoundGecko like app will appear.

And for that reason I'm thankful you developed Share2Speech!

I agree that the NeoSpeech pricing looks crazy. They should probably offer some kind of low cost mobile access deal. Right now they're just not getting any money, being way too expensive for the typical mobile user (and developer).

I have some hope (but not for you of course :) ) that MS will offer Cortana cloud TTS API's. Seems like a no brainer, but I haven't heard any movement on that front.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers