Why am I getting an error code when I try to use Netflix 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Netflix 4.0 and the Q8156 Error Code

Using an AT&T L830 (which I love, btw) and downloaded the 4.0 update for Netflix (build 4.0.0.13 to be exact). Not using PfD.

Ever since the update I can sign in and view the menus, but I cannot play content. When I hit play, I get a screen about a DRM issues with error code Q8156-887A0004. Apparently Others have had this issue as well. It was mentioned several times in the comment section on WC's article on the Netflix 4.0 update, and there is one post about it on Reddit in which the user posted transcript of his chat with Netflix (short version from Netflix rep: it's broken/we're working on it/sorry.)

I have tried removing the SD card and doing a soft reset and I still get the same error. So I guess it's time to post it here. Any thoughts/suggestions/gripes/new info? (Other than: "This sucks, I'm buying an Android!")

Update:

Below is a transcript of my own Netflix support chat.(tl:dr=same result)

Netflix ***
Hi! This is ***. With whom do I have the pleasure of chatting?

You
Hello. I'm using Netflix 4.0 app on a Lumia 830 and I'm getting the Q8156-887A004 error code.

Netflix ***
Hey there! That's not good at all. Thanks for reaching out and I will definitely check to see what's happening and what needs to be done to have things fixed. :)

Netflix ***
Just a couple of questions. OK?

You
Sure.

Netflix ***
Do you get the error code immediately upon app launch or when you go to play a title?

You
When I play a title.

Netflix ***
Got that...does it happen with all titles or just one?

You
All. (I've tried four or five.)

Netflix ***
OK...thanks much. I did some checks and it is that our research team have been made aware that some of our customers using the Windows 8 app are getting the error code you mentioned. We do have some steps here that has resolved the issue for some of our customers and I would like you to give them a try as well...ready?

You
Sure.

Netflix ***
Great! Here goes...Hold the Power button and the Volume down button until the "Slide down to power off" prompt comes up..... Slide down to power off.... Hold Power button to power phone back on..... Try Netflix again and report in tracker below if this resolved the problem.

Netflix ***
Let me know how it goes...I'll be right here.

You
Same result.

Netflix ***
Oh no! That's no good. I'll just need some additional info from you so that I can send your info over to our research team so that they can know the steps didn't resolve the issue for you. OK?

You
OK.

Netflix ***
Can you provide the following info please? Your mobile carrier(eg AT&T, Verizon), the Netflix app version and the Windows OS version.

You
AT&T, Netflix build 4.0.0.13, Windows Phone version 8.10.14176.243

Netflix ***
Thanks much...one more thing...can you check on the firmware version please?

You

Netflix ***
Got you...did this issue start happening before or after you did an update?

You
Just after.

You
Have had it ever since the update.

Netflix ***
Thanks much...Does the "Settings" page say "Lumia Cyan" anywhere (close to the top of the page, and in blue color)

You
Per the "Extras + info" section, I'm using Lumia Denim.

Netflix ***
Thanks much...just to confirm, there is nothing about Cyan...is that correct?

You
No. Lumia 830s come with Denim out of the box.

Netflix ***
You have been very help. Thank you so much for the info. I have forwarded the info over to the relevant department. It will assist our research team greatly. I must also apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused and I can definitely say that it is actively being worked. At this time, I'm not seeing an ETA but I do ask though that you try streaming again later. OK?

You
Sure. Thanks for your help. They new app looks nice, btw.

Last edited:

GCsabai

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Same issue on my side (Lumia 830 + DP = Q8156-887A0004), I just had a chat with a member of the support team from Netflix:
"Thank you for the wait Gabriel, good news! I was able to find out for you that this is an ongoing case with Microsoft and Netflix, my techs are looking into this matter and working along side with Microsoft, now I will advice you to please expect a firmware update, this may come from us or Microsoft itself, I have send a report on your case and will just ask you to give us some time to work on this please :D"

Wait & See :)

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Netflix 4.0 and the Q8156 Error Code

Would be kinda nice if all their paid subscribers with no relatives, friends or such burdens, would be able spend their cold lonely Christmas with watching and glowing in the warmth of Netflix..
But hell no, no hotfix whatsoever in several days. What's going on?

BrainCylinder

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this too. I'm using a proto device so I assumed it was just my weird build, and my error is slightly different: Q8156-C00D7175.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Is there any way to downgrade the app? Or sideload like on Android or BB10?

If you can find an installer package on the net and developer unlock your phone then yes you can side load an old version of Netflix. Otherwise you'll have to wait on a fix.

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site

For the last ten days subscribers have been unable to view the content they pay for because of Q8156-887A0004 error code.
What is unacceptable is that there's no word from Netflix's part. Chances are they do not know of this issue or they simply don't care enough. My subscription renews in few days time, do they expect me pay for a product that does not work and possibly won't start working in any time soon?

Ten days with no official comment from the company?? Tsk tsk, very poorly played Netflix.

gregsedwards

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I tried playing a video shortly after I completed the Netflix update. The app launches and navigates just fine, but videos won't play at all. I'm getting the same error code that other Lumia 830 users have reported.

So, I called Netflix and spoke with a very helpful customer service rep, who collected my information and said he'd have someone look into it. About 2 days later, I got a call back from another extremely pleasant rep, who guided me through some basic troubleshooting (all of which I'd already tried). She also seemed unaware of any updates beyond Cyan. I explained to her that the 830 came with Denim pre-installed. She said they'd look into it further, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I happen to still have my older Lumia 822, which was running Cyan, and it played Netflix videos with the new app version just fine. Interestingly, Verizon rolled out the Denim update to the 822 a few days later, and it still plays videos just fine.

The Netflix reps were surprised that the error code I reported started with a "Q," as they said the Windows Phone errors typically start with a "P." That leads me to think that the app thinks I'm using a Windows (as opposed to a Windows Phone) device. I am running the Developer Preview. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Anyway, I'm getting mildly annoyed by this point. I have about a dozen other devices I can use to get my Netflix fix, but I would like to be able to use my new phone as intended.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site

I have Developers Preview on my HTC 8S and the new Netflix works fine (despite very weak cpu/ram). And my 830 is running the stock software and get the error message. I'm getting annoyed too because I see no use of Netflix on my PC (icefilms, streamallthis and sidereel.), but it was mainly for my phone. So I am technically paying for no reason.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Likewise, I have 830 in UK and getting error code whilst trying to watch content. Its time Netflix realised the enormity of the problem and fixed it. We should get a free months subscription!

Shane 47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
i have a 620 running the developer preview this has updated to cyan running netflix 4.0.0.13 everything works fine

also have a 735 running denim out of the box also using netflix 4.0.0.13 i get the same error code as the OP nothing can be watched

hope they fix this incompatibility error soon its quite annoying
and also makes netflix and WP seem unprofessional as this issue is most likely affecting all denim users ?

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
****sake, it's now been down and out for two weeks.
I tried to contact Netflix customer service but their chat doesn't work with WP / Android. Can anyone contact them and let them have it, or ask when it's going to be fixed? I'm 100% they've heard of this issue by now.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
****sake, it's now been down and out for two weeks.
I tried to contact Netflix customer service but their chat doesn't work with WP / Android. Can anyone contact them and let them have it, or ask when it's going to be fixed? I'm 100% they've heard of this issue by now.

These mother yuckers! I'm going to yuck em up!

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yup same issues since the update here's my transcript with the Netflix

Thank you for contacting Netflix customer support.

Here is the transcript from your recent chat with customer support:

Netflix San-Dean
Hey! I am San-dean, What can I have the pleasure of helping with today?

You
I am receiving an error when trying to play a video on my windows phone 8.1 it gives me an Q8156-887A0004 error

You
The app was recently updated yesterday

Netflix San-Dean
Ah I see, Glad that you reached out to us on this .. We have been investigating a few customers getting this error not too long ago.. Is this Lawrence I am chatting with ?

You
Yes

Netflix San-Dean
Nice to meet you Lawrence,, My research team will be taking it from here so no worries,. They will be getting it resolved from our end and just ask that you try the app again later on .. I have a few questions here to help them get you back up and running if you don't mind ofcourse

You
ok

Netflix San-Dean
Great, Can you provide me with the make and and model of the device please?

You
Yes it is an Nokia Lumia 830

Netflix San-Dean
Thanks and the app version that you are currently using ?

You
Version 4.0.0.13

Netflix San-Dean
Cool, and our last question .. Did the error occur immediately after the update when you try to play or couple playback attempts later ?

You
It was immediately after the app was updated last night

Netflix San-Dean
Appreciate you filling us in Lawrence, Our team is working with speedy fingers here to get things back to normal for you .. They would like for me to let them know as well if it is possible for you to completely power off the phone, for 10secs, restart and then try the app again so that I can make a note of what happens?

You
ok will do stand by

Netflix San-Dean
Sure thing

You
I am still receiving the System Configuration Error

Netflix San-Dean
Alrighty, Just got all the info over to them and put a red flag on the device in the system so that they will know that you have been affected by this right away ... They will be taking it from here Lawrence so no worries.. we got you covered on this .. Just asking that you bare with us please and try the app again later on .. Really appreciate you taking the time out to let us know what's happening so that we can get you back up and running smoothly with the update

You
Ok thank you

Netflix San-Dean
You are most welcome Lawrence, It's the least that I could do. I can assure you that you are in good hands. Happy I could help.. Enjoy the rest of your day , thanks for chatting in. And one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind, please stay online for a one question survey.

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Wow San-Dean was really after his New Year bonus. Or a natural born browwnose. Or perhaps genuinely into customer service.

Netflix, how about a rollback till the issue is sorted out? Or an estimation when it's ought to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3