Live Weather: User Interface Design Feedback

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I am currently working on a user interface design for a weather application which will be coming soon to the Windows Phone store.

I have inserted an image which gives a high-level overview of the app and its user interface.

As this app is still under development, any feedback would be appreciated, particularly with regards to features and the interface design.

Promo_Showcase.jpg

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this. Notifications and automatic location tracking are nice features and not all weather apps (I've got around 20 weather apps installed in my L1020) have these. Just a few questions, though:

What is the coverage of your weather app? Will the notifications work worldwide? (some apps only deliver notifications to certain countries)

What is the source of weather data?

Would it be possible to disable the weather background?

Can I set it as my lock screen provider (with custom images)?

Thank you.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
very few apps have "LOCK SCREEN & LIVE TILE" that display hour by hour weather details ... please consider putting that down ...
eg 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm ( weather details , conditions)

ps: check out Blue Skies (for hour by hour ), Amazing weather HD ( is three hour time span, eg, 3pm, 12pm, 3am, 6am)

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your feedback.:)

The app will use data from the Met Office, UK using their DataPoint API. We will have global weather coverage.

Regards the notifications, I will have to look into it. I am not coding the app but only making the user interface concepts. The notification system will work through the Met Office API. So, if the Met Office put out a weather warning, you will be notified. I will look into it further to see if the Met Office publishes international weather warnings or if they only post warnings for the UK.

By disabling the weather background, do you mean removing the image of clouds, snow etc. on the glance page?

The initial v1.0 release will not have the ability to set the weather app as a lock screen provider, but it will come in a future update. We really want to get the app release so we can get community feedback and tailor the app around the feedback we received and the most common usage scenarios.

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your feedback.:)

The app will use data from the Met Office, UK using their DataPoint API. We will have global weather coverage.

Regards the notifications, I will have to look into it. I am not coding the app but only making the user interface concepts. The notification system will work through the Met Office API. So, if the Met Office put out a weather warning, you will be notified. I will look into it further to see if the Met Office publishes international weather warnings or if they only post warnings for the UK.

By disabling the weather background, do you mean removing the image of clouds, snow etc. on the glance page?

The initial v1.0 release will not have the ability to set the weather app as a lock screen provider, but it will come in a future update. We really want to get the app release so we can get community feedback and tailor the app around the feedback we received and the most common usage scenarios.

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Alright, thanks for these info (data source). Nice to know that your app will have global coverage. Definitely a plus.

For the notifications, I think there are two ways on how to make the app deliver them:
The first is what you said, which is to get the weather alerts straight from the source and just push it through the app.
The second (in case weather alerts are not available worldwide) is to let the app recognize that there is, for example, some expected precipitation in the current location of the user (based on the weather data, not the weather warning). The app will then be "forced" to notify the user of the expected precipitation (or any other weather condition the user may want to be notified about). This might be a bit complicated to code, but I think it will give your app an edge.

Yes, I meant removing the images of clouds, etc. in the landing page... probably being able to replace it with a solid color?

Alright on the lock screen as a feature in future updates.

There's one thing I forgot to ask: does your app have meteograms? I'm not too familiar with the UK Met Office API and their data presentation, but only a FEW* apps have meteograms for international locations in the store.

Alright, then, looking forward to your initial release and wishing you and your team luck.

*- Less than 10 (I think - at least those that are in English:wink:), less than 5 of which are beautifully presented.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Alright, thanks for these info (data source). Nice to know that your app will have global coverage. Definitely a plus.

For the notifications, I think there are two ways on how to make the app deliver them:
The first is what you said, which is to get the weather alerts straight from the source and just push it through the app.
The second (in case weather alerts are not available worldwide) is to let the app recognize that there is, for example, some expected precipitation in the current location of the user (based on the weather data, not the weather warning). The app will then be "forced" to notify the user of the expected precipitation (or any other weather condition the user may want to be notified about). This might be a bit complicated to code, but I think it will give your app an edge.

Yes, I meant removing the images of clouds, etc. in the landing page... probably being able to replace it with a solid color?

Alright on the lock screen as a feature in future updates.

There's one thing I forgot to ask: does your app have meteograms? I'm not too familiar with the UK Met Office API and their data presentation, but only a FEW* apps have meteograms for international locations in the store.

Alright, then, looking forward to your initial release and wishing you and your team luck.

*- Less than 10 (I think - at least those that are in English:wink:), less than 5 of which are beautifully presented.

The initial notification system within the app will be very basic and simply support weather warnings from the Met Office. In a future update, we may add 'context-aware' notifications which can assess the weather data according to a number of parameters and then decide to issue a notification, just like what you described.

Yes, you will be able to remove the weather background images by going into settings. The background will then be set to grey.

I will do further research in meteograms and what the Met Office has to offer. I suspect if any meteograms are available, the would only be for the UK. In future, we may consider adding an alternative weather source or even offer the user a selection.

All this makes the app sound rather limited, but the intention is to get a first release out and then build on it. It is the first app I have ever designed a user interface for and the first app project I have ever managed, so I don't want to get the project bogged down in complexity. Post-release there will be a continuous stream of updates which respond to community feedback and add features. Hopefully everyone will understand my point of view.

Thanks for the best wishes with regards to the app and your input! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3