Are we going to get Snapchat ever ?

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Again, a lot of you seem to be confusing an immature college dropout who made an app with someone with years of training and experience in business. If you think he couldn't possibly inject his own anti Microsoft vendetta into his business, you're delusional. He refuses to be publicly interviewed because he knows they'll expose him for the genuinely awful person he is (way beyond just blocking us out, he's a gross sexist) and everyone will realize anyone could have made snapchat and he isn't special. The app doesn't even make money, he got rich because investors just threw money at him.
This is actually a horrible trend with online startups that needs to stop, especially now that everything is app based instead of web based (as was the case with Facebook etc) because it gives pricks like Spiegel and every other silicon valley dbag who makes a "trendy" service, power to sabotage Microsoft or any other company they don't like by artificially limiting access to what may become a service the other 90% of the world becomes reliant on. I'm tired of having to explain to my friends why I can't use snapchat and telling them to use something else just isn't an option, but I'm not going to change platforms unless it is 100% on my own terms. I won't be bullied into it by a smug a-hole.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that the snapchat developer in himself isn't special, after two weeks on an iPhone, I can tell you the app gap is real. Let's ignore the missing titles, the actual experience in each Windows Phone app is years behind the experience on iOS. So, I doubt us getting snapchat is top priority. Top priority is getting ANY first party app that is up to par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually, SnapChat was released for Windows Phone just this morning. Well, in an alternate reality. Reality number 72596 of the 72+ Billion alternate realities that I've been tracking through a dimensional rift that appeared inside my closet. I've been investigating Windows Phone progress in many of these realities. In many, Microsoft never made a phone, never got past XP, and is bankrupt. However, in 72596, Microsoft is a world-wide Monopoly. There is no Android or iOS, just Microsoft. Everyone walks around wearing a HoloLens that has a 6 week battery life, and is the size of a standard pair of sunglasses (even looks like standard sunglasses.)

The Hololens is, of course, the phone, computer, fitness tracker wearable, etc. They do have a Microsoft Band, but it's not a fitness tracker. It's fitted with Mic, Speaker, and a 3D camera system so that you can do skype in 3D with your friends and they can see you when you aim your wrist at yourself, in full 3D glory.

Unfortunately, the SnapChat in that particular reality is in pretty bad shape. Shortly after being put up on the Microsoft Store, security holes were discovered due to Spiegel putting code in the app to steal credit card information for identity theft purposes. He was arrested, tried, and convicted this afternoon, and will face a firing squad tomorrow morning. I'll see if I can get a video of the event brought over to our reality. I'm sure several here would like to see that.

Yeah, yeah, if anyone here believes any of this, then I've got a great idea for a startup that I'll sell you for the bargain price of $20 Billion dollars. You don't even need to know what it is or what it does, just take my word for it. ;) I'll let you know what it is as soon as the funds are safely in my account. Yeah, that's it.

I wonder how many people choked on a sandwich or spit their coffee out when they read the first sentence of this post?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you think he couldn't possibly inject his own anti Microsoft vendetta into his business, you're delusional.

I think the delusion runs both ways if you ask me.

So are you more upset that you own a third tier OS that has a track record of not getting apps, not having apps updated, having apps removed and not being able to rise about 5% market share or do you just think everyone is out to get Microsoft? The poor gigantic ridiculously rich company that should be taking care of this mess? Yes, MS is a company, not a person. I don't feel sorry for MS one bit. I don't feel sorry for the owners of WP one bit.

Let me guess, you got in to WP because of Nokia didn't you? Like most other people, not because you understood the OS.

If I was a developer of a popular app I probably wouldn't bother with WP either. There is little incentive to do so.

Yes, WP is a great OS, yes it runs great on low end hardware but that's it. Without market share that means absolutely nothing.

Whether the Snapchat CEO is a jerk or not is irrelevant. From a business perspective it doesn't make financial sense to make a WP app at this point in time. That's what people don't seem to get. Why is this so hard to understand? So he made comments about WP and MS. So what? If WP was at Android level of popularity or iOS the devs would be bending over backwards to get an app made. But WP doesn't have that. Maybe never will. We don't know.

I find it hysterical how many people don't know or understand MS's track record of being nasty.

At the end of the day it's your choice which ecosystem you went with. If you didn't understand or refuse to accept that WP is 3rd, has a major image problem and that it doesn't get the latest and greatest apps when iOS and Android get them that's your fault. Don't blame the developers for your choice.

All the people crying about Snapchat and other missing apps are wasting their breath. Beating up on developers and calling them names isn't going to change their perspective either. It gets rather tiring to constantly see thread after thread of people having a whinge.

Do your research next time and buy something that suits your needs. If you want the latest and greatest apps or the one's your friends are using you're on the wrong ecosystem. Doesn't mean it won't change but here and now is not that moment time.

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the delusion runs both ways if you ask me.

So are you more upset that you own a third tier OS that has a track record of not getting apps, not having apps updated, having apps removed and not being able to rise about 5% market share or do you just think everyone is out to get Microsoft? The poor gigantic ridiculously rich company that should be taking care of this mess? Yes, MS is a company, not a person. I don't feel sorry for MS one bit. I don't feel sorry for the owners of WP one bit.

Let me guess, you got in to WP because of Nokia didn't you? Like most other people, not because you understood the OS.

If I was a developer of a popular app I probably wouldn't bother with WP either. There is little incentive to do so.

Yes, WP is a great OS, yes it runs great on low end hardware but that's it. Without market share that means absolutely nothing.

Whether the Snapchat CEO is a jerk or not is irrelevant. From a business perspective it doesn't make financial sense to make a WP app at this point in time. That's what people don't seem to get. Why is this so hard to understand? So he made comments about WP and MS. So what? If WP was at Android level of popularity or iOS the devs would be bending over backwards to get an app made. But WP doesn't have that. Maybe never will. We don't know.

I find it hysterical how many people don't know or understand MS's track record of being nasty.

At the end of the day it's your choice which ecosystem you went with. If you didn't understand or refuse to accept that WP is 3rd, has a major image problem and that it doesn't get the latest and greatest apps when iOS and Android get them that's your fault. Don't blame the developers for your choice.

All the people crying about Snapchat and other missing apps are wasting their breath. Beating up on developers and calling them names isn't going to change their perspective either. It gets rather tiring to constantly see thread after thread of people having a whinge.

Do your research next time and buy something that suits your needs. If you want the latest and greatest apps or the one's your friends are using you're on the wrong ecosystem. Doesn't mean it won't change but here and now is not that moment time.

Many of us got the phones, and into Windows Phone well before Nokia. With that being said, there is no denying that one major issue Microsoft faces is that of biases. Android and iPhone are deeply embedded into the minds of people. Because of this, even interested buyers are turned away. Does this mean percentage points of market share lost? I don't know. But don't be delusional and avoid the fact that it's a superior operating system that has never been given the proper treatment.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Many of us got the phones, and into Windows Phone well before Nokia. With that being said, there is no denying that one major issue Microsoft faces is that of biases. Android and iPhone are deeply embedded into the minds of people. Because of this, even interested buyers are turned away. Does this mean percentage points of market share lost? I don't know. But don't be delusional and avoid the fact that it's a superior operating system that has never been given the proper treatment.

I never said it wasn't a great OS, nor am I delusional. Matter of fact I prefer the original WP8 to the new Android like WP8.1 and W10 that's coming. I'm speaking from experience as I own a WP.

At the beginning of WP8 there were quite a few unhappy people and all wanting Android like features on the phone. Not saying WP8 was perfect either, but it's sad to see the original concept go.

Also nowhere did I state that every user of WP came to WP because of Nokia. I was referring to that particular person. The are many people who prefer Nokia to WP OS. That's a fact.

All I've been doing is pointing out realities but people seem to not get the point. At this moment in time WP is a niche device. Less than 3% worldwide usage. You are not going to get the latest apps nor the popular ones right away. That's the reality. If that's what you want you're in the wrong ecosystem. Complaining about isn't going to change anything. It's up to MS to do something about it. They're the big company with money last time I checked.

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
You are guys right.

Yet...

I've had numerous discussions about the application called SnapChat and the youngsters are all about it, and for those who can't get it now, well, they're steering away from Lumias. Sad.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You are guys right.

Yet...

I've had numerous discussions about the application called SnapChat and the youngsters are all about it, and for those who can't get it now, well, they're steering away from Lumias. Sad.

Well you should say WP, there are more than just Lumia's. Right now Snapchat is the 'in' thing. Just like Instagram was when WP8.0 came out.

Some things go out of fashion, especially with the younger crowd. As soon as something else comes along that's more 'fun', Snapchat will be like Facebook. :p

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Here it's either Lumia, Samsung or Xperia, and there's also the budget/ feature phone section, so you're right saying there's more to WP than just Lumia, but here you'd be wrong.

Back to the subject - how would you rate its future longevity? I give Snapchat 2 more years.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well you should say WP, there are more than just Lumia's. Right now Snapchat is the 'in' thing. Just like Instagram was when WP8.0 came out.

Some things go out of fashion, especially with the younger crowd. As soon as something else comes along that's more 'fun', Snapchat will be like Facebook. :p

Facebook has been the largest social network ever for years now.

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Since Snapchat will never happen...why doesn't Microsoft add a similar feature to Skype? It shouldn't be too difficult to implement..and as far as I know Skype has a larger user base and most young people have it installed already. Snapchat would essentially be useless at that point.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Since Snapchat will never happen...why doesn't Microsoft add a similar feature to Skype? It shouldn't be too difficult to implement..and as far as I know Skype has a larger user base and most young people have it installed already. Snapchat would essentially be useless at that point.
Isn't that what Skype Qik was supposed to be? At a glance it seemed to offer similar features, but since it was released as a standalone app instead of integrating it into the Skype app I never cared to look into it.

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Sadly it wasn't. It only allowed video messages, no pictures. It was also it's own app as you said and it didn't even use Skype user names. Good idea, but extremely poor execution. It wouldn't require much work, but they would have to do these things...

1) Don't make it a separate app, it needs to be integrated into Skype.
2) Support video AND pictures (with the usual snapchat features like adding text etc)
3) Make the app at least as good as it is for ios and android, which they didn't.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sadly it wasn't. It only allowed video messages, no pictures. It was also it's own app as you said and it didn't even use Skype user names. Good idea, but extremely poor execution. It wouldn't require much work, but they would have to do these things...

1) Don't make it a separate app, it needs to be integrated into Skype.
2) Support video AND pictures (with the usual snapchat features like adding text etc)
3) Make the app at least as good as it is for ios and android, which they didn't.

IF Microsoft were to do these things, then yes, it is possible that it could take away some of the SnapChat user base. I honestly don't think it would make a very large dent, however, because Skype is a fee based service, whereas SnapChat is free. Let's face it, the vast majority of SnapChat users are teenagers that don't have an income. How in the world SnapChat ever intends to monetize it is beyond me. They will have to figure out something, though, because investors won't wait much longer for cash to start rolling in before they jump to the next big thing, then SnapChat will be history. The user base matters not. If they can't monetize it, it will collapse under its own weight.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
IF Microsoft were to do these things, then yes, it is possible that it could take away some of the SnapChat user base. I honestly don't think it would make a very large dent, however, because Skype is a fee based service, whereas SnapChat is free. Let's face it, the vast majority of SnapChat users are teenagers that don't have an income. How in the world SnapChat ever intends to monetize it is beyond me. They will have to figure out something, though, because investors won't wait much longer for cash to start rolling in before they jump to the next big thing, then SnapChat will be history. The user base matters not. If they can't monetize it, it will collapse under its own weight.
Snapchat will most probably try to sell their company to a bigger company. This is the exact same strategy pursued by Instagram, they did not have any income stream when Facebook bought them over.

Facebook was willing to pay billions of dollars for the service. It's the same thing snapchat will be looking to accomplish.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Snapchat will most probably try to sell their company to a bigger company. This is the exact same strategy pursued by Instagram, they did not have any income stream when Facebook bought them over.

Facebook was willing to pay billions of dollars for the service. It's the same thing snapchat will be looking to accomplish.

Interesting. That may very well be SnapChat's plan. However, Facebook's Messenger has a user base that makes SnapChat look like a minnow in a sea full of Blue Whales. If Facebook or Skype either one integrated "SnapChat-like" features, which would not be very difficult to do without buying SnapChat, then it would be a very real danger to SnapChat very quickly. If both integrated the features, it would be the death knell of SnapChat, and suddenly the usage would reach the adult world. Facebook could take SnapChat's user base away from them quite easily if they really wanted to. They probably already have the entire user base, they would just kill SnapChat in implementing it. Facebook doesn't need to buy it. It would literally only cost a few thousand dollars to develop it and they would save billions while killing off a competing messaging platform.

The only value SnapChat has is the user base. However, the user base, unlike Instagram, is mostly people too young to target for advertising in a legal manner. Instagram has a large adult user base. SnapChat has a small percentage of adult users. It doesn't make the same attractive buy-out situation.

Google's been known to throw money at silly notions and abject failures, perhaps they will buy it.

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. That may very well be SnapChat's plan. However, Facebook's Messenger has a user base that makes SnapChat look like a minnow in a sea full of Blue Whales. If Facebook or Skype either one integrated "SnapChat-like" features, which would not be very difficult to do without buying SnapChat, then it would be a very real danger to SnapChat very quickly. If both integrated the features, it would be the death knell of SnapChat, and suddenly the usage would reach the adult world. Facebook could take SnapChat's user base away from them quite easily if they really wanted to. They probably already have the entire user base, they would just kill SnapChat in implementing it. Facebook doesn't need to buy it. It would literally only cost a few thousand dollars to develop it and they would save billions while killing off a competing messaging platform.

The only value SnapChat has is the user base. However, the user base, unlike Instagram, is mostly people too young to target for advertising in a legal manner. Instagram has a large adult user base. SnapChat has a small percentage of adult users. It doesn't make the same attractive buy-out situation.

Google's been known to throw money at silly notions and abject failures, perhaps they will buy it.

This is all true, except I don't think you understand the teenager's mindset when it comes to snapchat. The reason every teenager has a snapchat is not because they can send self destructing images, they have a snapchat because everyone else has a snapchat. It's a trend. So offering another app that does the same thing would not work 99/100 times you try. Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

They already have much of the functionality in Messenger already (drawing, capturing and sending photos right in the app)
Maybe if they add a tactical self destruct/cleanup feature or mode (with the same ol' screenshot alert) and captions on the photo, they'll be in good shape. (as well as something to rival stories)

This is all true, except I don't think you understand the teenager's mindset when it comes to snapchat. The reason every teenager has a snapchat is not because they can send self destructing images, they have a snapchat because everyone else has a snapchat. It's a trend. So offering another app that does the same thing would not work 99/100 times you try. Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.

Am teen.
Can only semi-confirm. As of now the ease-of-use, featureset and "cleanliness" is unrivaled my any player with enough inertia to unseat the incumbent.
Self-destructing has an appeal. (not many want to save or clog up phones with pictures of random dogs and food, but doesn't mean one doesn't want to see what others are up to/share what theyre up to)
Its just another communication channel that many don't want to miss out on, maybe because its "cool" and we're sheep but not necessarily.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.

Following the crowd doesn't make you cool. It just makes you a lemming, or a sheep. Lemmings have been known to follow each other off cliffs.

Cool is being the one that leads and introduces new things that are good for everyone.

If, when I was in High School, I had "followed the crowd" and done exactly what everyone else did, then I wouldn't have had multiple dates every Friday and Saturday night, and girls waiting in line asking when I'd take them out.

Of course, my version of SnapChat back then was to include a chisel and hammer tied to the stone the note was chiseled on, with the instructions to chip the rock into small unrecognizable pieces when they were done reading the pic art on the stones. Yeah, it's been that long since High School. Maybe the girls just liked me because I was one of the few guys that wasn't a complete Neanderthal. Maybe it was because I bathed regularly, and the Neanderthals didn't. Maybe it was because my grunts were cute.

Later, young'uns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99