Why aren't apps closing?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

HI ALL! I purchased a Lumia 950 on Friday. I've been noticing that even when I back out of an app or a screen (hit the back button until i'm at the home screen), the program is still open. When I hold down the back button, all the apps and programs are still open. Is this a change in Windows 10 or am I doing something wrong?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it's a W10 change, but this happens to some apps on WP8.1 as well, like FB Messenger. The only way to close it is holding back button and slide the app down; just pressing back button will suspend the app in background. Apparently the developer can choose to implement this on the app.

andyey

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
after using my 950 for over a week now, I'm really curious about this. In 8.1, if you backed-out of most apps, they would close and not run in the background. However, in Win 10, all apps stay open until you long press the back arrow and close each one individually. What's the difference? This happens on all apps, including Windows programs

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The annoying part is that it seems that ALL MS apps don't close out. And because MS is treating things like text messaging and people contacts as apps (a decision path MS took so that theoretically they can update more often without having to update the entire OS), text messaging and people contacts don't close out when you back out of it. It annoys me.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It's an API change that was made possible in an 8.1 update, before "Update 2" I think. Anyway, only apps that have been updated to use it function that way.

It makes sense for some apps, others it doesn't.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it does make some sense for just some apps, but it's quite annoying for apps that don't need it. I just want an app to close out once I hit the back button unless its necessary to have it paused for some quick resume functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786