Using Microsoft Band app without paired Band

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm going to switch over to my HP Elite x3 as my daily driver for a little while, and just trying to plug some of the holes in the app gap with Microsoft's offerings. Although I know there are quite a few things I will not be able to replicate with the current state of Windows Mobile I had a question about the Microsoft Band app for those of you who use it without a paired Band or other fitness tracker.

Based on testing it out with my Lumia 950XL it looks like step count and calorie data are relatively spot on, but is there a way to track a walk/run/hike via GPS in the app without having a Band or other device paired to the app?

This is possible with several apps in the Android space, and I have just been using Google Fit when I am on an Android device.

I don't have enough hands-on experience with the Band app to know for sure here, so just looking for some advice.

If it's not possible, what are the best apps specifically for tracking a walk/run/hike via GPS? I know it isn't necessary, per se, when the pedometer is working just fine, but I like to do it for my own reasons and most to track pace.

Thanks!

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The Microsoft Band app only useful for counting steps without a Band. You can't really track runs or hikes itself. Most people I know use Runtastic for that, even if they have a fitness band. Caledos Runner is also an excellent app for that.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Based on past experiences I believed that to be the case. Just wanted to make sure there haven't been app improvements.

I have been checking out the other apps today and will probably try Runtastic, Caledos Runner or Run the Map. ANy recommendations between them?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used any of those apps, but based on ratings, Caledos has a 4.7, Run the Map has 4.6, and Runtastic has 4.5. The reviews show that most people rave about Run the Map.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99