"Look matters"-will New windows phone with Ultra premium metal finish design make a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
"Look matters"-will New windows phone with Ultra premium metal finish design make a change?

Windows 10 phone concept.jpg
why iPhone still gains market share despite being sold at very high price for what it gives?just because of its premium look and the half bitten apple at the back.it wouldn't hurt MS to try that.windows is a really powerful phone and most reliable,but because it lacks the premium look it doesn't look much to many and doesn't look a worth buying device.The colourful back panels are really fancy and durable but gives cheap look at times.Even flagship lumia 1520 doesn't have metal cover.Look really maters.having a premium looking phone in hand makes it more reliable and standard.Plastic really don't mean much even though it offers high specs under the hood.With premium metal cover and metal windows logo at the back would really give a great feel in the hand.People will love buying windows phones and definitely windows phones will gain good traction in the market.now even after buying the high end windows phone you get nothing but plastic.so you don't feel anything special or premium about it even with lumia 1520 for that much of money.lot of people are concerned much more about their phone having premium look these days.that's the reason many still buy iphone these days.If MS gives importance to aesthetics little more then sure it will make a big change.windows phone now has everything that a person needs except the look.MS should include metal in some form in all the windows phones from high end to low end.for high end devices it should be full of metal.and all the windows phone must have some consistency in shape as well,example,all windows phones should have simple slim look with sharp edged corners rather than some having sharp edged and some round edged corners.maintain the unique shape in phones something to symbolize the live tiles may be.Even cheap chines phones have premium look these days.windows phone being so much reliable and with unbeatable hardware sure it will gain more market share than ever before if it makes the premium look for the phones.Please give your opinion on this..will windows phone be a winner if MS makes it more premium?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Look matters"-will New windows phone with Ultra premium metal finish design make a change?

That looks interesting.

I've moved the thread to the Concepts and Dream Devices forum.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Look matters"-will New windows phone with Ultra premium metal finish design make a change?

Looks like dozens of Chinese made knock offs that are all metal and super thin! I don't think it will sell in the U.S. because Apple will sue Microsoft for the design!

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

this looks fake.. but i do agree, that while MS made a lot of changes with win10 (trying to make MS cool again) i have high hopes, that they are really putting a lot of work into the looks of the new flagship :)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Looks matter but if you use a case most of it is gone.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Its true i have seen a iphone user talking postively about the windows phone tile interface he said that iPhone nd android start screen doesn't give a new look like windows but he says that he need a premium look device because he wants to maintain that look.he dont want this fancy colorful phones.hope MS understands

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

No it wont but it'll be a nice addition. I'm totally fine with polycarbonate. Metal looks sleek but Nokia/Microsoft's designs are in no way cheap looking. I actually prefer the design of Lumias over iPhones. Design is really subjective.

Most people I know tend to look down on "plastic-y" phones because it looks cheap (I'm looking at you Samsung) but I never had anything say that about my 920 or 1520. Both look really premium. My 920 was the most eye catching phone of the two. That red just screams attention but then again I have a black 1520. If I could pick colors, I'd get yellow phones but then again when I bought my 920, it was only red and when I bought my 1520 only black is available. I'm really satisfied with both and both are two of the greatest phones I ever used even more than my iPhone a couple of years back.

Tl;dr design isn't a problem with Lumias as they are one of the best looking phones out in the market right now.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the above - the design of the phone is one of the main things that drew me to the 920, and makes me want a 1520! I think polycarbonate black looks very professional (especially as its so minimal, in keeping with the metro spirit) and I have never been called out on its looks by an iPhone user.

Remember, there are benefits to polycarbonate:

Wireless charging!
The phone doesn't get freezing cold when used outside in winter!
Arguably more durable!
Trickier to get those nasty hairline scratches that plague pretty much any phone with a full metal back and no case.

I would be cautious about steering away from polycarbonate, vivid colours are available for those who desire them (I have a red 520 as a backup and it is sublime) whilst black is available for those who require a more subtle look. Switching to metal would make Lumias look like every android (especially cheap ones) available - leading to an increase in people saying "what Samsung is that?".

Tl;dr stick with polycarbonate to retain differentiation. If apple copied Nokia by going down that path with the 5C then Nokia must have been doing something right.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes even i love this colorful phones thats why i'm using a lumia bt for many premium means a different look and MS should also take them into considerations because they are windows phone admirers but they are expecting something different.i know black colored models look more premium but for some people premium means a different

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

of course poly-carbonate is better in many ways over metal.But most people I have known not willing to go for windows phones just because they think that it looks cheaper.I mean lets face it,we all fall for the look in some way.coca cola wouldn't have been as popular as it is today if it came in a plastic pouch.Many wouldn't buy Ferrari if it looked like beetle.Don't get me wrong,I don't mean to say that current windows phones look ugly,in fact I personally like it,but for many it doesn't look appealing or doesn't reflect their social status which many are concerned about.The beauty of the device is purely subjective so definitely not every one will love the windows phones plastic look.I am not saying to completely replace the colourful polycarbonate versions of the phone with metal versions,but they can make metal versions as well for those who prefer more "premium look".that way windows phone will reach to more people.I personally think this will greatly influence the market share of windows phone in a positive way.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

No apple can't sue MS for this design.Have you seen any iphone looks like this before?come on Harry .this phone doesn't look like iphone in any ways.it just looks like Lumia 735 with metal casing,that's it.Apple can't sue for this.keep your iphone away and have a look at the pic again:p

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

No apple can't sue MS for this design.Have you seen any iphone looks like this before?come on Harry .this phone doesn't look like iphone in any ways.it just looks like Lumia 735 with metal casing,that's it.Apple can't sue for this.keep your iphone away and have a look at the pic again:p

I think it was meant more in jest than anything!

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I strongly agree with you, Lumia phones aren't well made, most of them are cheap plastic and feels like crap. Having different colorful choices dont fix it and from what I think high end Lumias are just rip off because you dont get that much quality you are paying for, (no I'm not bashing MS, I do own Lumia 1020 and is my daily driver). No wonder people choose iPhone, Samsung , HTC and Sony because they are mainly competing in giving the best specs if not, they're in the best looks lineup just like the Apple products. I haven't seen a real flagship phone from Nokia/Microsoft that can pleased every user. Simple things like water proofing, IR blaster, shock absorbers, on board headphone amp/dac, front facing speaker, better quality headphone jack and better USB port, higher battery life, removable baterry/storage or the somewhat gimmicky somewhat useful fingerprint scanner can make a user well satisfied. Unfortunately Lumias dont offer much than a better quality camera that's why its not boosting on sales because they're not a well spent devices. IOS and WP are pretty similar but iPhones made on top, its the hardware and especially design that makes it more interesting same goes for android devices. So basically before MS lose more of their believers they have to come up with a high end device that can fit all our needs and wants.

So Microsoft, to please your woman you should learn everything about her and apply that knowledge to her, give her what she fantasize or she'll cheat on you and leave you with a better man.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Well I strongly agree with you, Lumia phones aren't well made, most of them are cheap plastic and feels like crap. Having different colorful choices dont fix it and from what I think high end Lumias are just rip off because you dont get that much quality you are paying for, (no I'm not bashing MS, I do own Lumia 1020 and is my daily driver). No wonder people choose iPhone, Samsung , HTC and Sony because they are mainly competing in giving the best specs if not, they're in the best looks lineup just like the Apple products. I haven't seen a real flagship phone from Nokia/Microsoft that can pleased every user. Simple things like water proofing, IR blaster, shock absorbers, on board headphone amp/dac, front facing speaker, better quality headphone jack and better USB port, higher battery life, removable baterry/storage or the somewhat gimmicky somewhat useful fingerprint scanner can make a user well satisfied. Unfortunately Lumias dont offer much than a better quality camera that's why its not boosting on sales because they're not a well spent devices. IOS and WP are pretty similar but iPhones made on top, its the hardware and especially design that makes it more interesting same goes for android devices. So basically before MS lose more of their believers they have to come up with a high end device that can fit all our needs and wants.

So Microsoft, to please your woman you should learn everything about her and apply that knowledge to her, give her what she fantasize or she'll cheat on you and leave you with a better man.

very well put.I totally agree with you.I couldn't have said better than that.At least with windows 10 MS should try making stunning devices something better than the concept pic on this post,that will knock iphone,samsung,HTC sideways.With windows 10 it's crucial moment for MS and WP,MS should definitely try this.people will love WP in a new premium look.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

very well put.I totally agree with you.with windows phone 10 this is the right time for MS to make stunning looking devices better than the one on this post,that will definitely knock iphone,samsung,HTC sideways.This is really a crucial moment for MS,they should definitely try this and make not only great looking flagship phones but also really good, metal finish, sleek mid-range phones.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Looks and designs only matter in the total sum of all things. Meaning the complete package.

Looks alone will not change a thing. Windows 10 alone will not change a thing.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Looks and designs only matter in the total sum of all things. Meaning the complete package.

Looks alone will not change a thing. Windows 10 alone will not change a thing.

Oh look doesn't matter?and windows 10 features doesn't matter? so what do you want on a phone?jam on it?

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

This is an argument that you just can't win. Iphone hatters (including me, my 930 looks way better the any iphone by far) would say that design is bad and this applies to window hatters as well. Its is just impossible to make a device that is good for everybody. Looking back to the Lumia line up you can't say that there is a ugly phone so MS probably will stick with this tipe of design devices.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Oh look doesn't matter?and windows 10 features doesn't matter? so what do you want on a phone?jam on it?

I think you may want to re-read what typed and try to understand it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3