How many of you would want this?

ric2001

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So, most of us choose phones based on our use case. And, most of the time the phone we choose fits. However, what if you had more use cases that, perhaps, wasn't quite right and maybe you wished you had a different for that need? For example, I would love to have 1520 but, sure don't want to lug that along when I'm running. Something lighter with a 4" screen would be all I need.

Yes, you could have 2 phones and switch between them but, what if you wanted to have only 1 line? I don't want multiple numbers.

The idea here is to have line sharing between phones where one, and only one, is active at a time. Data, apps, etc. would always be sync'd. As soon as you make one handset active, it would automatically sync email, texts, data, etc. from the other phone while it was active. Obviously, you could do some of that with the cloud.

I think both phone manufacturers and operators would love to sell you at least a couple of phones. I can see myself having that 4xx/5xx series for working out, a 930 as my daily driver, and a 1520/XL-type for web browsing, movies, etc. Also, if one phone stops working for some reason, you have another. And, lastly, you could activate the other phone if one starts running out of battery if you find yourself in that position.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Then come and live in the Netherlands because here it can be done.
You can get 2 SIM cards with the same number and at every given time only one is active.
So technically it can already be done so it is up to providers to make this service available.

ric2001

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Then come and live in the Netherlands because here it can be done.
You can get 2 SIM cards with the same number and at every given time only one is active.
So technically it can already be done so it is up to providers to make this service available.

But how do you switch between them? Is it a matter of having one phone on and the other off? And what about the sync'ing part? Do you have the same texts, emails, etc. on both phones?

I don't think the technology to do this already exists. The process in making a phone active that I was thinking of would be an NFC tap that would sync and put one on the network and one off. Maybe even have the user choose what to sync.

Erwin0723

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
But how do you switch between them? Is it a matter of having one phone on and the other off? And what about the sync'ing part? Do you have the same texts, emails, etc. on both phones?

I don't think the technology to do this already exists. The process in making a phone active that I was thinking of would be an NFC tap that would sync and put one on the network and one off. Maybe even have the user choose what to sync.
Just go try to holland if you not believe it..!!! I'm from indonesia but i have a lot of duutch friend and i always hear about their experiences with two sim card but with one number..

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
@ric2001
Indeed i have the same apps on both phones so i need to keep them both "up to date" but for that you also can use wifi.

For the sim cards it works as follow.
The phone which is switched on, the first, will be the "active" one so you can make calls with it.
If you switch the other phone on you will get the "no SIM card icon) but you still can use it with wifi but you can not make calls.
If you switch off the "active" phone then the other phone will become the active one.

So it are actual 2 separate things.
A Use 2 phones with the same apps.
B Use 2 SIM cards with the same number (dedicated SIM cards from the provider) and the "technology" which simcard is active is not in the "phone" but in the "SIM card"

So the syncing is separate from the use of a double SIM card.
And if I for example play a game on one phone then the level of the same game on the other phone is not the same or i have to link the level to for example facebook.
So it is not 100% but good enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077