How a 5 inch surface Phone/Mobile can replace your Laptop/Desktop and be a Great Surface Mobile

robert beadles

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I have been listening to the idea of the Phone shifting to a new category much like the Surface Pro has become a device that does more. With this in mind what is a surface Mobile, what could it be? Looking at some of the information that we know about right now it will have
? continuum (More below)
? x86 platform abilities two paths
o emulator like the HP Elite 3X or
o new hardware (intel, QUALCOMM)
? Great Hardware
? Accessories (Docks, audio, keyboards and Mice) VR/AR
When Continuum first came out with windows 10 Mobile, the idea of having a Phone replace your tablet/laptop/Desktop especially for travel sounded wonderful, however the problem that your run into is how do you find a screen to work on, not every Hotel has a HDMI port ready for the phone to dock to, mirocast or correct aspect ratio. Replacing a laptop you would still have to have a lapdock or other screen to use. This is where I think VR/AR becomes a solution to the problem, if the surface Mobile is VR/AR capable (with the low requirements Microsoft just shared) your 5 inch Mobile becomes Dual 27 inch virtual monitors. VR/AR is the solution to Continuum?s need for a screen, using the phone screen itself as the VR headset or through an accessory for AR, the Surface Mobile could become a better visual experience than even a laptop, performance could be another story. Add a good Mobile mouse and keyboard and your have a Desktop/Laptop experience everywhere.
x86 focus on businesses, now that you have a device that can give you a desktop experience in a Mobile package you need to have the software and performance. Using a emulator or cloud computing you would have all the software and with cloud the performance.
Mobile + VR/AR + x86 = new category device (Surface Mobile)
Other options could also include a 7-8 inch Plus/Pro with Pen support. Notepad for meeting notes, editing.
? E-ink screen option? Save batter, better on the eyes
Tell me what you think. Do you see the Surface Phone/Mobile differently?

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely no to E-ink, latency is still a problem for any interactive function (reading has prolonged periods of no change so it works there).

I would say 6 inches with a Surface pen is ideal for mobile. Then allow continuum dock to larger tablet or lapdock (revisit Padphone concept or have a dummy tablet wirelessly).

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I can't see a 5 inch surface phone replacing a laptop/Desktop. Maybe for an average user but definitely not for someone like me that needs very powerful hardware to run resource hungry applications, with a good size screen.

I could see myself using it in a case where I would be using some smaller applications.

Charis Ntouroutlis

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Johnathan Dalipsingh
attachment.php

Just my 2 cents

??????? 🤔

anon(10215379)

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Josiah23. For true productivity you need a bigger screen even for an average user. On the plus side though, it might be a boon for emerging markets and developing countries especially if OEMs make mobile computers much, much, much cheaper than traditional ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12