Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So when I first read the title if this thread I thought:

Windows phone 7 needs Rocket Propelled Grenades.... and I thought... sure does...lol :)

bichon_1er

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Pokemon!!! I loved playing those games back in the day :). But really, I think any good turn based JRPG would be perfect for mobile gaming.

Lol. That sounds impossible (nintendo games on Windows ? Maybe in 30 years) but something like Final Fantasy could be nice.
"Fable" would be great !

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
You know the ironic part is these touchscreen devices are perfect for a good old school turn based RPG and there are practically none between all the main mobile OS's.

The harvest is a decent start for WP7 though. A bit more action than RPG but at least it dont use the awful joystick controls so many games do.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think people are just too focused on creating very specific types of RPG's for the platform, or other genres period. Even if you look at the iPod, it's not exactly a mystical dragon hording a pile of wonderfully gold role-playing games. There's a handful of decent RPG's for it, at best, and very few of them are traditional. The only company really making a decent attempt is Square.

It's surprising on one hand, because you'd think the popularity of the platform would dictate a need for RPG's somewhere. But on the other hand, it's a lot less time consuming and profitable to make another Tower Defense game.

I wish someone would make a decent attempt though. Chaos Rings should have been the start of something far greater, but sadly little has followed. Not even strategy RPG's, the number one type of RPG I'd think the system would work well with, have really cropped up with much frequency.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
iOS has Final Fantasy 1-3, Chaos Rings, several other games by SquareEnix, Phantasy Star II, Vay, Lunar, Doom RPG, Wolfenstein RPG... Come on, it has quite a decent number of RPGs.

This site tracks a lot of 'em:
http://www.rpg-site.com/index.html

Most of those are ports of existing titles, many of which have forced on screen controls. And several of them are fairly old and haven't exactly aged very well.

I think most people would prefer new and exciting titles built specifically for phone systems, such as Chaos Rings, than play the largely outdated Final Fantasy 1 yet again at Square's ridiculous price range.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Most of those are ports of existing titles, many of which have forced on screen controls. And several of them are fairly old and haven't exactly aged very well.

I think most people would prefer new and exciting titles built specifically for phone systems, such as Chaos Rings, than play the largely outdated Final Fantasy 1 yet again at Square's ridiculous price range.

You make a habit of complaining about the classics, dontcha? Tsk, tsk.

But I do agree about the Final Fantasies; Final Fantasy 1 & 2 are boring. FF3 wouldn't even be that exciting if not for the new stuff they added to the DS and iPhone versions, and even then it'll never be in the same league as FFIV.

As the mobile market grows, we may see more professional RPGs developed. But DS and PSP games are orders of magnitude more profitable (you can charge $30-40 for them), so that's where the majority of portable RPGs will continue to be released.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
:p Hahahaha, I was complaining about the old arcade games for different reasons!

Honestly I love the classics as much as anyone. Gaming for me began with the NES and ended with the Playstation 1.

I think my deal is I just tend to agree with the camp that believes developers should be creating unique experiences designed specifically for these platforms. You know they're just trying to make a quick buck when they port something easy to the system and lazily slap a digital d-pad on the surface. Especially when it's with titles like FF1-3 which, you and I both agree, simply haven't aged gracefully.

I think there are a number of classic titles that would work great on the platform... they just need to be rebuilt for it. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be playing Star Control 2, X-Com, Final Fantasy Tactics, or anything similar, but with redesigned control systems.

Regardless, at the end of the day it'd be nice to see some fresh content too. Classics can only take you so far.

I agree the money is a problem though. Square can offer FF3 on the iPad for the current asking price because they already made their money back on the DS version, and are now able to spend a small amount of cash on porting it in order to make even more money. But to have built that from the ground up and offered it for $16 day one on phones alone? Not feasible.

Still... here's hoping for the future :/

Kitsune5tails

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a Phantasy Star Online game. Phantasy Star Portable 2 would be nice. I like Lunar, Grandia, and the Shining Force series (old school tactical RPG from the Genisis and Saturn days, Final Fantasy Tactics is similar) rereleased on this platform would be great. There are alot of Saturn titles that would be good on this system, like Albert Odessy, Dragon Force would be good too. I think if the Saturn RPGs made it to WP7, it would be awsome gaming. Jet Set Radio would be nice. The Sega Saturn had alot of great games in Japan, and some made it out in the US (though a few were ported to the PS1). I think with Sega starting to rerelease games on the Xbox arcade, we might be able to get a petition going and see some awsome games.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I would love to have a Grandia game for my WP7. Something like Grandia 2, a good ( and I mean good ) Pokemon clone or a nice tactics games. RPG's used to be my favorite genre.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
A Grandia game on Xbox Live would be far more realistic. But oh, how I would love to play Grandia II on XBLA or WP7! That would be the gaming highlight of my year.

Kitsune5tails

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to have the original Grandia. I have the Sega Saturn edition. I have part 2 on the Dreamcast, I wouldn't mind seeing Arc the Lad, Vay, Lunar 1, 2, and 3, and Popful Mail. I think the Shining Force series would be awsome also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3