01-07-2013 03:36 PM
- Yeah great game and very challenging - I've posted an achievement guide over at x360a if you want to check it out.
Achievement Guide & Road Map - Xbox360Achievements.org07-25-2011 06:25 PMLike 1
- How far has everyone gotten in the game? I'm of the mind that after level 20 or so, the difficulty just gets extremely annoying. I was having a lot of fun early on, but the cruel level design just kills it for me. I'd like to know how other people who've reached level 20+ feel about it before writing my review.07-31-2011 09:20 PM
- I've finished the game and the last 10 levels are very hard, this game makes you learn the levels but is very unforgiving if you make a single mistake.
I can see the frustration factor for casual gamers and even hardcore gamers being too much, achievement wise it keeps you coming back for the challenges.
I simply think the developers set the difficulty bar too high which could have been countered by using a health regen system or a health pick-up system. (You can get back a certain amount of health when eating pick-ups from killing enemies but this is not enough.)
This is definately an original game and complements the phone touch controls perfectly, I think the story and cut scenes were done very well.
The game itself is very good but should be marked down based upon it difficult learning curve but in the same breath should it be? Mobile phone games dont all have to be casual and I for one would like to see more hardcore games.
Good luck with the review Paul, I'll be interested to read what you post =D
Last edited by YIP YOO; 08-03-2011 at 04:12 AM.08-01-2011 04:29 PM
- I'm going to have to agree with the difficulty curve after the halfway point.
I've had absolutely no problems beating levels, but the stars are beyond frustrating to obtain. Once I resigned myself to the fact I was simply going to beat the game and never come back I felt a little better... But there's always that nagging feeling when you complete a level and all the stars are in the red.
The things that REALLY annoy me though?
- You get ONE SHOT at the challenges. WHY!? Why include these in the level this way? Why should I have to replay the entire thing when all I want to do is complete the challenge star? How come when I die and get sent back to the start of the challenge, it doesn't reset? I can get through a damage challenge no problems on the second go, but I have to reload the entire level to make it count? ARGH! Why even keep the time bar running when I die? It's obviously impossible to complete at that point.
- Controlling the eyeball can get awkward. One, because your finger(s) blocks the view, and two because his walking and physics are just strange. I like the IDEA, but it makes some portions really difficult to navigate through without very specific leg placements. Especially ones where bubbles are blowing you all over the place and knocking you into walls. It doesn't help that you don't control which leg moves when.
- You don't heal. Damage is permanent. That's incredibly annoying.
- The bubble walls of death levels. Moving fast enough is difficult, as is lining up the timing. I wanted to quit the game entirely when they started using those levels multiple times.
When I first started this topic I was seriously impressed with the game. Now I'm indifferent to it. My enjoyment fell off a cliff part way through. It's not HORRIBLE, but it certainly never lives up to what it promises within those initial stages. The game is more annoying than challenging, and that's what kills it IMO.
Last edited by Dark Mirage; 08-03-2011 at 02:23 AM.08-03-2011 02:12 AM
- Saw the front page. Glad to see an update is on its way. I just reached level 35 and I'm actually and tired of the game. Any level with bubbles is an absolute joke. The trial and error you would need to beat those stages in one go would never be worth the insane amount of effort and repetition.
PS: Adding to my pet peeves above? You can't grip walls while being damaged. That alone killed me countless times. It's especially annoying when you land in spikes and they take several seconds to kill you... Several seconds in which you are powerless to do anything but watch.08-03-2011 06:34 PM
- I finished it on day one, not bragging here but I didn't think it was that hard, sure the challenges are (um challenging?) but the general gameplay was fine, if I failed it was down to me and there was always a way to continue. (Starts rant about the good old days of the NES and how no one today is a "real gamer anymore")08-04-2011 02:12 PM
- Personally I've never felt that the level of difficulty a game carried has ever had anything to do with making someone a real gamer or not. Besides, a lot of those old games were only ever hard because they never had checkpoints, never allowed you to save, threw a million enemies at you at once, had terrible collision detection, poor level design, poor design in general, or were compensating for the lack of available tech during the era.
Ninja Gaiden has many modern features, such as checkpoints, saves, proper collision, and no lives, yet many consider it one of the most difficult franchises out there.
As far as I'm concerned, you can't tell me a gamer's merit is based on the difficulty of the games he completes. Especially when many of the challenges a player overcomes are through fault and bad design instead of actual, balanced challenge.08-04-2011 02:53 PM
- I finished it on day one, not bragging here but I didn't think it was that hard, sure the challenges are (um challenging?) but the general gameplay was fine, if I failed it was down to me and there was always a way to continue. (Starts rant about the good old days of the NES and how no one today is a "real gamer anymore")08-04-2011 04:28 PM
- 08-04-2011 06:15 PM
Tentacles doesn't give us a choice. It's just maximum difficulty the majority of the time. And remember, even the developers didn't mean for it to turn out that way. That level of difficulty doesn't add to the fun, for most of us at least.08-05-2011 02:31 AM
- It was, admittedly, a short game. And even with the difficulty curve, you could easily finish it in a day or two with enough persistence. The game is pretty generous with checkpoints outside of the chase levels. The only hard part is achieving three stars.
I honestly wish the platform had a few meatier games :/.08-06-2011 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD