Games In Need Of A Permanent Price Drop

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm cheap. Really cheap. This is why I'm loving all the permanent price drops we're seeing lately. And while not all of the games are top quality, $1 is hard to argue with.

Now that MS has started the ball rolling, I thought I would post my list of the other games that need the ninety-nine cent treatment and why.

Hexic Rush (age)
Rocket Riot (age)
Flight Control (to match iOS pricing)
Tetris (uh, it's Tetris)
Uno (uh, it's Uno)
Guitar Hero 5 (age...I'll even go $1.99 on this one)
Women's Murder Club (It kinda sucks)
Oregon Trail (to match iOS pricing)
Parachute Panic (to beat iOS pricing)
I Dig It (to match iOS pricing)
Harbor Master (to match iOS pricing)
Need for Speed Underground (age and a sequel on the marketplace)

Got any others you want to see drop (besides all of them)?

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Games should and should not be cheaper on WP7.
Developers work on those few minutes of fun you have for months or years and they must get payed for it. You cannot compare prices with other platforms where prices can be cheaper because of the quantity of users that are buying them.

Developers on IOS earn much more even if the app is cheaper.
If people don't buy and support developers a platform is as good as dead.
So cuck up and pay up...as soon as more developers come the apps and games will become cheaper. :D

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. Games should and should not be cheaper on WP7.
Developers work on those few minutes of fun you have for months or years and they must get payed for it. You cannot compare prices with other platforms where prices can be cheaper because of the quantity of users that are buying them.

Developers on IOS earn much more even if the app is cheaper.
If people don't buy and support developers a platform is as good as dead.
So cuck up and pay up...as soon as more developers come the apps and games will become cheaper. :D

If you charge more for games than they cost on competing platforms you'll never get the numbers of people required to make it so a .99 game can make millions of dollars. Can you imagine if games on the PS3 cost 3 times as much as games on the 360 when it first came out and they said it was because the 360 had been out longer and had more users so they needed to charge 3 times more to make it worth it for the developers? - wouldn't work.

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I really don't have an issue with the current pricing.
The games are far less expensive than any current console offering. And the inclusion of Xbox Live features and Achievements are worth (IMO) the extra price.

I always like how Microsoft offers a "deal of the week'
I'm a former iPhone user and I still feel that the majority of WP games are of higer quality and are just more fun than all the crappy amateur garbage you have to sift through on the App Store...

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Xbox Live is worth an extra dollar.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Why? Being serious here, I see zero value in being a live title. There is not multiplayer on most, they are never updated, and usually even look worse than the other OS counterparts. I go out of my way to buy non xbl titles personally.

You get a whole 52 xbl titles a year, wow lol. Just jumping out with quality titles at that rate, who needs more?

I personally will not pay more for a title on WP if it's available cheaper on another platform. Virtually all apps I get are at .99-1.29. For as little as I use the average title that is all they are worth to me anyway. There are exceptions, but they are few for me, but there are ones that are worth $3-$4 but they're super rare in my opinion.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think they should be in the price range of other markets. I can understand a little markup due to the shortage of users but, if you make a good app, it will sell.

I prefer the xbox live titles but, are they worth $1-$4 more ? No When they can actually play with people on xbox live and work like a internet connected game should, then maybe the price should be a little higher.

Seeing an app for $0.99 in the iOS/Android marketplace and see the WP7 version for $4.99(0.99 to $4.99 is not uncommon) or even $2.99 is crazy. Mark an item up to $1.49 for an app and you can make your difference.

That is what I hate, buying an app on our marketplace and seeing it $2-4 less in other marketplaces.

Keep the prices the same and in time, you will make your money back.

Last edited:

Terrin

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
pretty sure the price drop is also from the amount of new nokia phones being sold as we are seeing more and more user base the price drops just started coming in.

But I think we will see soon what the xbox does where with the user base going up we will probable have averaging 3 xbl titles a week (maybe more sense mobile apps are much easier to develop then a console counterpart)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
XBL is worth extra money to Gold subscribers. It's worth nothing to me as a PS3 owner. It's not like it's a $1 difference either - in most cases, I'm finding XBL titles are costing $3.50 whereas the same title runs for $0.99 on other platforms.

Games published in late 2010 / early 2011 should get a price drop. I'd imagine their sales have dramatically slowed, so why not?

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, maybe I'm different. To me, these games are not expensive. I think back to the days of my youth spent growing up playing arcade games. Back then, you paid 25 to 50 cents (PER PLAY), which added up really fast. So bearing this in mind, taking a chance on a $2 or $3 Windows Phone app is not a big bank breaker for me.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, maybe I'm different. To me, these games are not expensive. I think back to the days of my youth spent growing up playing arcade games. Back then, you paid 25 to 50 cents (PER PLAY), which added up really fast. So bearing this in mind, taking a chance on a $2 or $3 Windows Phone app is not a big bank breaker for me.
It's all relative to the competition and current market. AAA PC and console games cost $100 - should they cost the same on the phone?

I happily pay up to $5 for an app I use on a daily basis. The sad reality is that most games I have aren't opened for weeks on end - most get boring after the first few levels. I don't feel too comfortable dropping $3 on a game that I probably won't revisit past the first playthrough.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It's all relative to the competition and current market. AAA PC and console games cost $100 - should they cost the same on the phone?

I happily pay up to $5 for an app I use on a daily basis. The sad reality is that most games I have aren't opened for weeks on end - most get boring after the first few levels. I don't feel too comfortable dropping $3 on a game that I probably won't revisit past the first playthrough.

The games I buy over here in England are (PC Games) ?30... or $60 exchange rate. Does tax push them up?

And I think that high prices are also due to no second-hand market. They don't need their games competing in a shop ?30 vs ?10... Who would be mad enough to buy the new copy?

Hence the price is dropped.

I'd be willing to bet that games would cost 50 cents now, rather than the 79p/99cents they are now if they had a used market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans