Are there any 720p high definition games or 16:9 aspect ratio games?

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
With Windows Phone 8 some devices now have high definition screens (768 x 1280) or (720 x 1280) this means all games are now blurry/pixelated or have black gaps on the taller screen size. New games have been released like angry birds space and angry birds Star Wars and those 2 in particular have gotten rid of the black gaps but neither have used HD graphics so the games are still blurry/pixelated. Are there actually ANY games that have HD graphics or ANY other games that support the taller screen instead of showing black gaps?

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
YES! There finally are 2 games that are High Definition and that both also get rid of the black bars and fill the entire screen! Those apps are both from Disney and are "Where's my Water?" and "Where's my Perry?" Now hopefully there will be many more apps to follow!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In general, the "snazzier the graphics are" (particularly fast 3D games with complex scenes) the lower the resolution will be at which the game renders it's graphics. We are likely never to see fast 3D games running at HD resolutions on WP8, but we are likely to see many such puzzle games.

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
@a5cent. I disagree. We will see Modern Combat 4 on wp8 and soon. Its 3D and looks great. Its a boon that every wp8 device has the same chipset. This will allow games to look better and be better optimized.

With that said, I really want controller support for my device. Its a missed opportunity for the "xbox" brand. An otg cable and Xbox 360 controller should work. Its sad that android has so many different solutions to play with a controller. It has the aforementioned solution, Bluetooth with ps3 dualshock support, MOGA, etc.

I want Halo and Forza on my device. There is no excuse for not having these exclusives and more.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
@a5cent. I disagree. We will see Modern Combat 4 on wp8 and soon. Its 3D and looks great. Its a boon that every wp8 device has the same chipset. This will allow games to look better and be better optimized.

With that said, I really want controller support for my device. Its a missed opportunity for the "xbox" brand. An otg cable and Xbox 360 controller should work. Its sad that android has so many different solutions to play with a controller. It has the aforementioned solution, Bluetooth with ps3 dualshock support, MOGA, etc.

I want Halo and Forza on my device. There is no excuse for not having these exclusives and more.

yeah, well, did you read my post before disagreeing with it? Your post is fine, but it doesn't address any of the issues I mentioned, nor does it relate to the topic at hand.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I also disagree with your post.

Why? WP has been consciously engineered to do exactly what you think it doesn't/shouldn't. WP includes both API and hardware support for the concepts I mentioned, in fact this is standard procedure on WP. It appears to me, that you don't understand what you are disagreeing with.

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Judge Dredd and Guns 4 Hire, both from the same publisher, are 720p and HD. They are in my opinion, the best looking games graphically on the marketplace. They both have 3d graphics with big explosions and super smooth menus with almost no loading times.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
In general, the "snazzier the graphics are" (particularly fast 3D games with complex scenes) the lower the resolution will be at which the game renders it's graphics. We are likely never to see fast 3D games running at HD resolutions on WP8, but we are likely to see many such puzzle games.

iOS supports such 3D games at native HD resolution so why is WP8 any different? WP8's core is much more powerful so will be able to play games of a higher standard than iOS and android. Asphalt racing games are 3D with amazing graphics and the latest one will be out soon at full native resolution (1280 x 768)

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Who told you Modern Combat 4 or Asphalt 7 would be sub-hd? Windows Phone 8 is brand new- Guns 4 hire and Dredd vs Zombies is HD. There will be many more HD games, not just puzzle or 2D. Frankly I'm not too worried about 3D games in HD. Most console games are sub HD and look great on large TV. You won't be able to tell too much of a difference on a phone with much higher pixel density. Only 2D games will you be able to notice much of a difference. Also, I want Rayman Jungle Run darn it...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wish Microsoft had mandated that all Windows Phone 8 devices run at 1280x768. That's the same aspect ratio as 800x480 so it would make scaling up from older devices easy. Instead, we've now got three standards; the two mentioned above and 1280x720.

We're kind of in a weird situation with the current crop of WP8 phones; while our CPUs are more powerful than the one found on the iPhone 5 the GPU has been shown to be slightly inferior to what's found in the iPad 2. While one could compensate for the other that rarely is the case when it comes to processing graphics. Whether that proves to be a problem remains to be seen; there aren't been enough games out there pushing the limits of the hardware.

Honestly, I don't see any reason why we should ever face performance issues, except that many of our games are ports. Outsourced developers are notorious for doing an inferior job and the lack of quality is often quite evident. I wont be surprised if, with the more demanding games, they just cheat their way out of optimizing code by sticking with the lower resolution, taking us back to the initial problem.

I do think the smaller developers are more likely to invest the necessary effort needed in getting things right. It's the big names, like EA and Gameloft, we need to worry about. They're the ones likely to do the bare minimum to get a game on the platform. The game may be crap, but at least they can proclaim they support Windows Phone.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my taller screen. I'm glad Microsoft added the 1280 x 720 option and it easy for an app maker to support all. As long as its a windows phone 8 app not 7 then it automatically scales for all the resolutions. You include only the high res imagery and the phone automatically scales it down depending on its resolution

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786