Gameloft wp8 games due soon

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that the European S III has the 320 GPU in it. All of the information is on the Wikipedia articles for both devices. The phones had the exact game SoC model number (MSM8960, I think it was?). They're both the Krait S4 with the 225 GPU. The European/Korean version has something different (quad-core Exynos CPU and Mali 400 GPU), but I have never really studied anything about cellular chips, so I don't know how a Mali 400 compares to an Adreno chip (though I've heard that the S4 is better than the Exynos, despite have 2 fewer cores).

They could have pushed for the Adreno 320, and we see it out there. The Chinese Lumia 920T has the 320 GPU in it, and I think that it was said the CPU got a boost from a 1.5 GHz clock to 1.7 GHz. It's always better to get more, but I'm thinking there just weren't enough 920T chips available for the world, and they wanted to push their top stuff to China (where there is more of an open playing field without heavy Apple intervention), which maybe resulted in the later release date for the 920T in China over the 920 in the rest of the world.

But yeah, the internals are basically the same for the S III and 920. However, if Mango vs. Gingerbread showed me anything, Microsoft's platform seems to utilize hardware more efficiently. I know 4.0 allegedly improved that to a strong degree, but my Droid Incredible on Gingerbread was a sluggish joke, while I never heard my cousin complain about chugging with his Focus or Lumia 900.

Oh, and remember that Microsoft and Nokia are pushing a pretty substantial update to WP8 this month, just 2 months after release. It took about a year after I had my Incredible before it got an update, and that was the only legitimate one it got in the 2 years I had it. Microsoft's more likely to keep things going forward on current device, as well as legacy devices.

I had the American Galaxy S III, which has the exact same SoC as you said: Adreno 225 GPU and CPU (though CPU wouldn't really matter when it comes to gaming so much). I played the games they announced that are coming, and the gameplay for both Modern Combat 3 AND N.O.V.A. 3 was so terrible that I sold the device. It made me so angry no optimization had been done for the highest American Android flagship models. Unless they have some awesome optimization going on with these games for Windows Phone, these games are going to run terrible. Again, I am speaking from experience with using a handset with the exact same chip as ours right now, so that is why I'm going on these assumptions. The Adreno 225 could do just fine with less graphically intense games, but first person shooters are going to run horrid...

Bruno Tavares1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the American Galaxy S III, which has the exact same SoC as you said: Adreno 225 GPU and CPU (though CPU wouldn't really matter when it comes to gaming so much). I played the games they announced that are coming, and the gameplay for both Modern Combat 3 AND N.O.V.A. 3 was so terrible that I sold the device. It made me so angry no optimization had been done for the highest American Android flagship models. Unless they have some awesome optimization going on with these games for Windows Phone, these games are going to run terrible. Again, I am speaking from experience with using a handset with the exact same chip as ours right now, so that is why I'm going on these assumptions. The Adreno 225 could do just fine with less graphically intense games, but first person shooters are going to run horrid...

That has everything to do with the OS optmization.
Take as an example, games with linux versions. The Windows version are alot smoother than the linux counter parts, because drivers are much better optimized for windows. As long as they have the 225 optimized for WP8 we will not have such issues...

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think most people in this thread are comparing Android vs WP wich is wrong, yes some phones like US S3, US One X and others have the same chip, but Android has many different Soc's to work with like Exynos 4210,4410,5250, Qualcomm S1,2,3,4, Mediatek with different variants, Tegra 2,3 both with different variations and many more! Also you have so many different screen resolutions, and many different OS versions. This makes develloping on Android difficult and Gameloft makes games on both iOS and Android the iOS versions are good without many bugs and optimised, the Android versions however are very bad but they have to work on all variations and they do but not with good graphics etc. I think WP8 is easy one chip S4, 3 resolutions to support so not many variations like iOS can be a good thing. (this was just an example i hope Devs make good use of the hardware in WP8 devices)

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think most people in this thread are comparing Android vs WP wich is wrong, yes some phones like US S3, US One X and others have the same chip, but Android has many different Soc's to work with like Exynos 4210,4410,5250, Qualcomm S1,2,3,4, Mediatek with different variants, Tegra 2,3 both with different variations and many more! Also you have so many different screen resolutions, and many different OS versions. This makes develloping on Android difficult and Gameloft makes games on both iOS and Android the iOS versions are good without many bugs and optimised, the Android versions however are very bad but they have to work on all variations and they do but not with good graphics etc. I think WP8 is easy one chip S4, 3 resolutions to support so not many variations like iOS can be a good thing. (this was just an example i hope Devs make good use of the hardware in WP8 devices)
Aren't there only 2 resolutions? As Lumia's resolution can use WVGA.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
That has everything to do with the OS optmization.Take as an example, games with linux versions. The Windows version are alot smoother than the linux counter parts, because drivers are much better optimized for windows. As long as they have the 225 optimized for WP8 we will not have such issues...
This is my hope. Because Gameloft (and other companies and developers) only have one SOC to target, I'm hoping this will benefit us to enable the full gaming experience without having the scale the graphics back. I know that on the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus I had (both Sprint), they had the graphics turned up on the S3 (to where all the particle effects, smoke, high resolution sharpness, etc. showed up on the game), whereas the Galaxy Nexus had stuff scaled back, but the Nexus ran smoother (still laggy though, but not as bad as the Galaxy S3).I have no doubt that it's possible that the game can run 60 fps smooth on Windows Phone because of optimization, but I'm wondering if they can truly have the games running with FULL graphics and not having to scale back for 60 fps. I just know that Adreno 225 was DESTROYED by even the iPhone 4s GPU, and that the chip isn't that powerful in comparison to the competition...

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing Modern Combat 4 on my Nexus for a week or so using a MOGA controller. It's been amazing.

Along with the games, I'm hopeful that there will be a MOGA like controller accessory for WP8. Microsoft could even do it themselves given their foothold in console gaming.

It makes the whole experience much better.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Windows has 90% of all the good apps that android and apple - except when it come to high quality 3D gaming/RPG/MMORPG/RTS
I'm sorry, that's straight up BS. WP8 is far deficient in every app category, including gaming.

There will be a tipping point for apps on WP8, and Gameloft may well be it, but don't gloss over the largest issue that many, many people have with WP8. It doesn't serve any purpose at all.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Dude the iPhone 4S is now over a year old. If you want to compare, compare it with iPhone 5 or Galaxy S III or the new S4 Pro Android phones due to come this month. Windows Phone is ONCE AGAIN well behind the curve in terms of hardware, and high quality games with gorgeous graphics will need all the powerful hardware they can get.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
http://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_s4_chipset_benchmarks_promise_amazing_performance-news-3860.php"GLBenchmark however tells a different story - when run in offscreen mode (so that it can be forced to render graphics at 720p resolution, regardless of the actual screen res), the Adreno 225 beats the Mali-400MP4 inside the Galaxy S II (but not by much) and falls quite short of the SGX543MP2. It lags behind the Tegra 3's GPU too."1. Please grow up and stop using the word "trolling"; seriously...2. I am simply re-iterating the same research you've brought here and tried to use to say (once again, like a child...) that I'm "trolling". I only want the best for Windows Phone to succeed, as an early adopter and customer, getting hardware that is behind the curve again is the Windows Phone 7.X cycle again.Perhaps I was wrong in saying that it DESTROYS the 225, but it still doesn't outperform the CURRENT competition (iPhone 5, for example).

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude the iPhone 4S is now over a year old. If you want to compare, compare it with iPhone 5 or Galaxy S III or the new S4 Pro Android phones due to come this month. Windows Phone is ONCE AGAIN well behind the curve in terms of hardware, and high quality games with gorgeous graphics will need all the powerful hardware they can get.

My reply was to jrdatrackstar1223 who stated that the iPhone4s GPU destroyed the A225 which as you can see is false. As far as Windows being behind the curve in hardware, well that's just BS because there are and will be plenty of high quality games with gorgeous graphics that will run just fine on Windows Phone 8.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
My reply was to jrdatrackstar1223 who stated that the iPhone4s GPU destroyed the A225 which as you can see is false. As far as Windows being behind the curve in hardware, well that's just BS because there are and will be plenty of high quality games with gorgeous graphics that will run just fine on Windows Phone 8.
They will be gorgeous, but not nearly as gorgeous as the ones on Android and iOS. Why? Because the hardware there is much more strong. It's simple logic.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having come from Android, I'd say Windows Phone is in a better place than Android was about two years ago. But that isn't saying much as Microsoft now has to face two competitors with very robust marketplaces. Android is further helped by the fact that plenty of SDKs are available to facilitate the porting of games from iOS. I'm not banking much on Gameloft because although they've got decent production values, their games are far from being anything noteworthy. Some of the best games on iOS come from smaller developers.

There are some decent games on Windows Phone, but I'm always reminded about how stark the difference is when I fire up the iPad and visit the App Store. Every couple of weeks there's a deluge of new, legitimately good games. The quality for a lot of these games is incredible. Within every genre there are countless options.

It's an inevitability. Developers go where the userbase is strongest, where success is more of a sure thing. It's hard to commit to an unknown quantity. Windows Phone is just now gaining real traction, which means the games will start showing up later in the year. But the problem is that Microsoft should have pushed harder to bring more to the platform. I can't even find much news on what's coming. I mean, the news of new games from Gameloft go back to early 2012. Those games should have been available in time for the launch of WP8. And what about all the games that have been delisted because of incompatibility with WP8? We're a month and a half in and I think maybe 2 of the 25+ games have been patched and relisted.

The problem is that currently most of the top Windows Phone games come from EA and Gameloft. These are two developers notorious for half-assed ports and then providing atrocious post launch support. I'm not optimistic some of those delisted games will ever be patched. The hope is in the smaller, indie developers but I haven't seen an indication those guys are coming. So far, too many of the indie games on WP phone are crap.

There is good stuff out there, just not enough of it. Thankfully everything else about Windows Phone is good; it makes it easier to be patient. But if Microsoft wants to build it's userbase they're going to work a lot harder and leverage what they've got with the Xbox.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Having come from Android, I'd say Windows Phone is in a better place than Android was about two years ago. But that isn't saying much as Microsoft now has to face two competitors with very robust marketplaces. Android is further helped by the fact that plenty of SDKs are available to facilitate the porting of games from iOS. I'm not banking much on Gameloft because although they've got decent production values, their games are far from being anything noteworthy. Some of the best games on iOS come from smaller developers.

There are some decent games on Windows Phone, but I'm always reminded about how stark the difference is when I fire up the iPad and visit the App Store. Every couple of weeks there's a deluge of new, legitimately good games. The quality for a lot of these games is incredible. Within every genre there are countless options.

It's an inevitability. Developers go where the userbase is strongest, where success is more of a sure thing. It's hard to commit to an unknown quantity. Windows Phone is just now gaining real traction, which means the games will start showing up later in the year. But the problem is that Microsoft should have pushed harder to bring more to the platform. I can't even find much news on what's coming. I mean, the news of new games from Gameloft go back to early 2012. Those games should have been available in time for the launch of WP8. And what about all the games that have been delisted because of incompatibility with WP8? We're a month and a half in and I think maybe 2 of the 25+ games have been patched and relisted.

The problem is that currently most of the top Windows Phone games come from EA and Gameloft. These are two developers notorious for half-assed ports and then providing atrocious post launch support. I'm not optimistic some of those delisted games will ever be patched. The hope is in the smaller, indie developers but I haven't seen an indication those guys are coming. So far, too many of the indie games on WP phone are crap.

There is good stuff out there, just not enough of it. Thankfully everything else about Windows Phone is good; it makes it easier to be patient. But if Microsoft wants to build it's userbase they're going to work a lot harder and leverage what they've got with the Xbox.

This. I know Windows Phone 8 is only 2 months old, but they should've learned A LOT from Windows Phone 7.X, and it appears they haven't. All they've done is said "HEY....we've made porting from other platforms available now, and a lot of stuff open to make apps. Now you guys do all the work and we will sit back and watch the apps flood in"; you can't do that. They have to stand out to developers to get them interested in coming to this platform. With all the cash they have, they are not approaching the marketing (to both developers and customers) the right way. They should be offering huge cash prizes for getting apps to the store, as well as cash incentives to get people to trade in their current phone for a Windows Phone device. Tell me ONE person who wouldn't take, say, 25 bucks to trade in their current phone and try Windows Phone for 2 weeks, with the option available to go back to their old phone and keep the money if they didn't like the OS.

Microsoft is, IMHO, being very lazy and expecting the small (VERY SMALL) interest that was paid to Windows Phone 7.X to take off now that Windows Phone 8 "offers more" and push the platform. Add to the fact they are getting rid of the exclusive services/apps we DID have, and they just don't seem to have faith in this platform, and only see it as a 3rd option to just EXIST in the mobile world...

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
MSFT should be offering iOS and Android users $50 in free apps. Highlight key pay apps (Garmin, Navigon) and games. I would also think they should push a decent free trial of Xbox Music, perhaps 3 months.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is, IMHO, being very lazy and expecting the small (VERY SMALL) interest that was paid to Windows Phone 7.X to take off now that Windows Phone 8 "offers more" and push the platform. Add to the fact they are getting rid of the exclusive services/apps we DID have, and they just don't seem to have faith in this platform, and only see it as a 3rd option to just EXIST in the mobile world...

lol

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Am I lying though? I mean look at the "better marketing" they promised and broken promises they haven't delivered. Skype isn't even working well, games promised aren't available, etc. They don't even seem like they're trying. I will give credit where it's due, as they did push the first OS update quickly...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3