Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    One thing that scares me on the skullsofshogun homepage is that it describes " if you own the game on multiple platforms". That screams buy same copy for.every w8 device you own.

Yes indeed, and no bundle discounts..... Sad times. They are missing the chance to tie in multiple platforms for each user. Paying for Xbox Live gold membership should really entitle you to some discount. I am aware that MS provides a great service, but come on, throw us a bone.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post

Skulls of the Shogun
    isn't a 3D game though, is it? It's a 2D, turn-based game. Compared to Mario Kart, it's very simple. Even though Angry Birds might not be AS advanced, remember it actually has to have some semblance of physics for impact and movement and such. It's basic, but it's not like Skulls is on the level of a Mario Kart-level title, either.

And, as you might have noticed, when I suggested price changes, I even left the WP8 version at $7. I won't simply buy a phone game for $7, not happening. If they would give a discount on a multi-license purchase, I'd buy multiple licenses. Since they don't, I'm not buying any licenses. I'm trying to point out that a combo deal would increase sales.

Stop twisting my words on this stuff. I said that Angry Birds is $1, so this really shouldn't be $7. To say that my statement about Angry Birds' pricing meant I think all games should be priced the same is just idiotic. I'm saying $7 is way too much, and $5 is pushing it. I could tolerate $5, but not $7. At not point did I say ALL games needed to be $1, so to then throw Modern Combat on top of it...the nicest thing I can say is "stop being stupid about this."

However, you decided to throw the conversation in this direction, so I'll follow. Modern Combat looks really good, especially for a mobile game. How much is it? $7 on iOS. So, if THAT is $7, how can anyone justify $7 for Skulls of the Shogun? That Modern Combat is $7 just furthers my argument that $7 is WAY too much and $5 is borderline too much when we're comparing a turn-by-turn, 2D game to a real-time, 3D FPS.
    look, im not going to argue the worth of a game that hasn't been released with you. I brought those games up to point out that phone games do reach that high. We have no idea what kind of depth this game has, or how fun it will be. It could be a game that has everybody hooked and makes people want to buy and play it on other platforms..in that case it could be worth the $37. On the other hand, it could be like that toy soldiers game that got really boring after about 30 minutes which imo wouldn't be worth $1. If it's too much money for you, that's fine there are more important things you could spend your money on, but trying to assign a value to a game based on a few videos is silly and premature.

And yes it might sell more if they had a bundle pack, but I don't think the marketplaces are set up for those types of purchases.

Also, the angry birds trilogy for xbox is $34 on amazon right now. If you add the $3 for what you would pay on iOS for the three games it comes out to be $37 not too far off from this game, except the game carries over with skulls. Yes its three games, but its kind of the same game with a lot of levels, to me at least.
    Yes, and Angry Brids Trilogy offers Kinect integration and is from an ESTABLISHED developer. That's the benefit form having an established consumer base: you can make more and earn more. Skulls of the Shogun lacks that following, which is why I've said I don't think this game is worth the cost. I have nothing to go on, in terms of a track record of quality. Look at the Lumia devices--Nokia doesn't have a foothold in the smartphone market right now, so they sold their flagship devices for HALF of what a flagship typically sells for, then they gave you a free accessory on top of that.

Also, I'm not advocating the cost of that Angry Birds Xbox game. I don't like that franchise, as the games never really entertained me.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    This game is lower quality than Halo? That's like saying Final Fantasy 5 was lower quality than the latest call of duty... Graphics aren't everything

Global Posts
    8,064 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    Yes indeed, and no bundle discounts..... Sad times. They are missing the chance to tie in multiple platforms for each user. Paying for Xbox Live gold membership should really entitle you to some discount. I am aware that MS provides a great service, but come on, throw us a bone.
    Microsoft doesn't provide any pathway for the developer to do this.

I'm having trouble comprehending how anyone could have an issue with the price of Skulls of the Shogun. Barely five years ago a comparable game on the PC or Mac would have easily cost $20. The same game on a console, let's say the PSP or DS would have been $30 to $40. But here we with people complaining about spending $7 on a game.

In the case of a mobile environment it comes down to volume. A developer can charge less in iOS because they can be confident the game will sell in significant numbers. This is currently not the case with Windows Phone. Have you compared the number of reviews for games on iOS and WP? That alone reflects the scale of the respective marketplaces.

As for comparisons to Angry Birds, I've long felt that the game is one of the most overrated games in history. I don't understand the appeal, nor the continued success of the rehashes. But then I tend to find challenge-oriented, physics-based puzzle games obnoxious. Inevitably the game devolves either trial-and-error guessing at the unintuitive solution, or knowing the solution but having to be pixel perfect with the controls. Any game that isn't Angry Birds is easy worth double the price.
    Paul Acevedo and havox22 like this.

I don't see a problem in price either. If I really enjoy the game I will be getting it for my windows phone, surface, and Xbox.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts
    It's just that iPoo has people expecting phone games at the 0.99 or 1.99 price point.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It's just that iPoo has people expecting phone games at the 0.99 or 1.99 price point.
    Not really the "ipoo" has tons of games at 5.99-7.99, however the graphics are at least 3 times this and offer real multiplayer action with voice like Xbox live.

Skulls of the Shogun!

Were a week away from the Skulls of the Shogun Release date, and today we here at 17-BIT have a little surprise announcement! When Skulls of the Shogun is released on January 30th, 2013, the game will be discounted for a limited time for Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone! WAT!
    The Windows 8 and Windows Surface version will launch at $9.99 (normally $14.99) in the Microsoft Store, and the Windows Phone version will launch at $4.99 (normally $6.99) in the Windows Phone Marketplace!
    Mark your calendars! One week to go until you can start eatin Skulls!
    The official press release is below.
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN TO DEBUT WITH SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICING
    The Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone versions of Skulls of the Shogun to launch at a discounted price
    SEATTLE, WA (January 23, 2012) Indie developer 17-BIT today announced that when Skulls of the Shogun is released worldwide on January 30th, 2013, it will be discounted for a limited time on Windows 8 PC, Microsoft Surface, and Windows Phone. The Windows 8 and Windows Surface version will launch at $9.99 (normally $14.99) in the Microsoft Store, and the Windows Phone version will launch at $4.99 (normally $6.99) in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
    Weve heard from the community that they want to get Skulls of the Shogun not only on their Xbox 360, but on all of their Microsoft devices, said 17-BIT Founder and CEO, Jake Kazdal. By discounting the Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone versions of Skulls, we hope everyone can dive into the Skulls Anywhere asynchronous single-player and multiplayer gameplay.

This is my knife. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Global Posts
    2,883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I Spiritus I View Post
    Skulls of the Shogun!

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Guess that makes it a 3 device buy then!

Anyone knows if this game has competitive multiplayer matches after single player/ coop campaign is over? If yes it would have great replay value and then i will be getting it as soon as it launches.
    Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

It has up to 4 players online mate. Quite a few online achievements :).

Quote Originally Posted by I Spiritus I View Post
    It has up to 4 players online mate. Quite a few online achievements :).
    thanks. grabbing on launch day then :) cya all online.
    Developer

Now, do I get it on surface or win phone. Im not buying on both, that would be greedy...
    Windows Phone/XNA Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonBlob View Post
    Now, do I get it on surface or win phone. Im not buying on both, that would be greedy...
    You should get both, its not greedy, its smart.

Buy for your surface to have a better experience at home and one on the phone for on the go.

II'mbuying for all systems

I already cashed in my bing points so Im going to get this on launch day for sure now that its going to be $5. The first live game written with native code for wp8. After playing guns for hire & robotek (simple but fun) I think devs have more room to make better quality games, plus we havent had an xbox game in a very long time...I hope it doesnt disappoint
    I was really displeased with the initial pricing, but I am pleased to see the lower prices for launch. I'll be using my first Bing Rewards Microsoft Store card for this. I won't be getting the Windows 8/RT version, as My Windows 8 PC is a desktop, and I wouldn't want it on there. I would get it on Xbox 360, but I think $15 is still too much for it when I can get it for $5 on my phone, then play it on my Lumia 920 while browsing the web on my PC (my PC is connected to my TV, so using my Xbox for the game would mean no using my PC at the same time).

If they would have made this 800 Points at launch, I would have probably gotten it, but the $5 WP8 version is still a great deal, so I'll be going with that, most likely.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    IF the game is awesome then yes I will buy all three. Lets see I can get the WP8 version with my Bing Rewards, 360 version with my MSP card, and the Windows 8 version with a Visa Gift card. Part of me wants to buy all three just to support this type of functionality. Hurry up Wednesday!
    Writer

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I'm enjoying the XBLA game very much right now. Can't wait for Wednesday so I can make a go at the other versions!
    Games Editor - Windows Phone Central, Android Central, and iMore
    Email: paul.acevedo@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/EastXtwitch - Please subscribe to my channel and tune in for broadcasts!

Lucky you! Can't wait for tomorrow :).

its live on wp8~!

It is now on wp7 also!

Just bought it. Really to support development of Xbox games. If the game is good even better. Plan on trying it later tonight.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast