Skulls of the Shogun

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This game also doesn't even of the quality of the original Halo, released back in 2001. To justify a $37 smartphone app with the statement "it's less than a $60 game with a campaign that lasts 6-10 hours, EXTREMELY deep and varied multiplayer, and much better graphics and gameplay" is a very poor comparison.

If you're going to compare it to anything, compare it to similar games--the 2-D games you find on smartphones and XBLA. The entry barrier is simply too high for a startup game, in my opinion. How much was Angry Birds when it first launched? $1? $5 for this is extreme, let alone $7. I personally think there should be a bundle discount, as many would be more willing to buy multiple licenses if this was the case. For example:

Xbox: $15
Windows 8: $10
Windows RT: $10
Windows Phone: $7

XBLA+WP8: $15
W8+WRT: $15
XBLA+WP8+W8+WRT: $25

If they did something more like that, I'd strongly consider $15 XBLA+WP8 license. Instead, I'm not going to be buying this at all. I could justify the $15 for the XBLA game alone, but I would primarily want this for my phone, and $7 is too much for a phone game. I just think they should have done like Nokia and priced their first go more aggressively, rather than having the most expensive game on the WP8 platform.

Halo is a game with a big budget & a console seller. How about we compare it to a 3ds game like Mario Kart 7 which sells for $38.22 on walmart.com right now. So, what you call a $37 smartphone app I call a game that allows you to play on your xbox, computer, and phone all for less than you would pay for some handheld games.

Hate to disappoint you but $7 isnt too much for a phone game, if it is a quality game. As a matter of fact, a few of the gameloft games that were announced & coming to WP8 are priced at $7 on apple's app store. Is this game worth it? idk, I think we'd have to play it before saying what its worth....at least the demo

Also, a game like Angry birds is very basic(popular, but basic), so saying because they charge $1 every other game should imo is wrong. For example, games like this(MC4) shouldnt be a $1 because the time it takes & the dev needs to make them isnt the same as angry birds....I would think its not the same for this skulls game, and also AB sells millions of copies, so they can afford to sell they game at a much lower price
Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour - Extended Reveal Trailer (Official) - YouTube

Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel that they should offer a bundle price. This has the potential to be a real head turner and a game changer. To link all area of the ecosystem and have them singing from the same hymn sheet is colossal and the way forward.

Sadly, the pricing (always an MS weak point) is out of whack. Fair play, if you are only buying one, it may not be too bad. But they really could clean up if they offered a second platform at a huge reduction. I am thinking 50% off subsequent purchases. They should relish the opportunity to sell the same game to the same person on multiple platforms.

I understand that they have worked on this for some time, but someone (either MS or Nokia) need to look at the bigger picture. If you sell one copy to a user, happy days. If you can then eek out a further small amount surely that is more desirable. And if the price is right I think people would do it. I would consider the Xbox version, but cant justify the double purchase at full price.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Windows 8 and Windows RT apps are from the same store so you do not have to fork out twice for this. There will only be the 3 versions of the game:

Xbox 360
Windows 8/Surface
Windows Phone 7/8

So the max your going to pay is $21.98 plus 1200 MS points. (Don't know how much that is in the states) Probably no more than $30 in total i imagine. For the amount of hours game play you will get out of it in comparison to a lot of retail xbox games at the moment, I think its pretty good! Most single player Xbox games campaigns only last about 8-10 hours and for the double of the price of the total of all 3 versions for this.

Ok, wasn't sure on the 8/RT license, thanks for clearing that up. 1200 MS Points is $15, meaning $36.98.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Halo is a game with a big budget & a console seller. How about we compare it to a 3ds game like Mario Kart 7 which sells for $38.22 on walmart.com right now. So, what you call a $37 smartphone app I call a game that allows you to play on your xbox, computer, and phone all for less than you would pay for some handheld games.

Hate to disappoint you but $7 isnt too much for a phone game, if it is a quality game. As a matter of fact, a few of the gameloft games that were announced & coming to WP8 are priced at $7 on apple's app store. Is this game worth it? idk, I think we'd have to play it before saying what its worth....at least the demo

Also, a game like Angry birds is very basic(popular, but basic), so saying because they charge $1 every other game should imo is wrong. For example, games like this(MC4) shouldnt be a $1 because the time it takes & the dev needs to make them isnt the same as angry birds....I would think its not the same for this skulls game, and also AB sells millions of copies, so they can afford to sell they game at a much lower price
Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour - Extended Reveal Trailer (Official) - YouTube

Skulls of the Shogun
isn't a 3D game though, is it? It's a 2D, turn-based game. Compared to Mario Kart, it's very simple. Even though Angry Birds might not be AS advanced, remember it actually has to have some semblance of physics for impact and movement and such. It's basic, but it's not like Skulls is on the level of a Mario Kart-level title, either.

And, as you might have noticed, when I suggested price changes, I even left the WP8 version at $7. I won't simply buy a phone game for $7, not happening. If they would give a discount on a multi-license purchase, I'd buy multiple licenses. Since they don't, I'm not buying any licenses. I'm trying to point out that a combo deal would increase sales.

Stop twisting my words on this stuff. I said that Angry Birds is $1, so this really shouldn't be $7. To say that my statement about Angry Birds' pricing meant I think all games should be priced the same is just idiotic. I'm saying $7 is way too much, and $5 is pushing it. I could tolerate $5, but not $7. At not point did I say ALL games needed to be $1, so to then throw Modern Combat on top of it...the nicest thing I can say is "stop being stupid about this."

However, you decided to throw the conversation in this direction, so I'll follow. Modern Combat looks really good, especially for a mobile game. How much is it? $7 on iOS. So, if THAT is $7, how can anyone justify $7 for Skulls of the Shogun? That Modern Combat is $7 just furthers my argument that $7 is WAY too much and $5 is borderline too much when we're comparing a turn-by-turn, 2D game to a real-time, 3D FPS.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
One thing that scares me on the skullsofshogun homepage is that it describes "? if you own the game on multiple platforms". That screams buy same copy for.every w8 device you own.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes indeed, and no bundle discounts..... Sad times. They are missing the chance to tie in multiple platforms for each user. Paying for Xbox Live gold membership should really entitle you to some discount. I am aware that MS provides a great service, but come on, throw us a bone.

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Skulls of the Shogun
isn't a 3D game though, is it? It's a 2D, turn-based game. Compared to Mario Kart, it's very simple. Even though Angry Birds might not be AS advanced, remember it actually has to have some semblance of physics for impact and movement and such. It's basic, but it's not like Skulls is on the level of a Mario Kart-level title, either.

And, as you might have noticed, when I suggested price changes, I even left the WP8 version at $7. I won't simply buy a phone game for $7, not happening. If they would give a discount on a multi-license purchase, I'd buy multiple licenses. Since they don't, I'm not buying any licenses. I'm trying to point out that a combo deal would increase sales.

Stop twisting my words on this stuff. I said that Angry Birds is $1, so this really shouldn't be $7. To say that my statement about Angry Birds' pricing meant I think all games should be priced the same is just idiotic. I'm saying $7 is way too much, and $5 is pushing it. I could tolerate $5, but not $7. At not point did I say ALL games needed to be $1, so to then throw Modern Combat on top of it...the nicest thing I can say is "stop being stupid about this."

However, you decided to throw the conversation in this direction, so I'll follow. Modern Combat looks really good, especially for a mobile game. How much is it? $7 on iOS. So, if THAT is $7, how can anyone justify $7 for Skulls of the Shogun? That Modern Combat is $7 just furthers my argument that $7 is WAY too much and $5 is borderline too much when we're comparing a turn-by-turn, 2D game to a real-time, 3D FPS.
look, im not going to argue the worth of a game that hasn't been released with you. I brought those games up to point out that phone games do reach that high. We have no idea what kind of depth this game has, or how fun it will be. It could be a game that has everybody hooked and makes people want to buy and play it on other platforms..in that case it could be worth the $37. On the other hand, it could be like that toy soldiers game that got really boring after about 30 minutes which imo wouldn't be worth $1. If it's too much money for you, that's fine there are more important things you could spend your money on, but trying to assign a value to a game based on a few videos is silly and premature.

And yes it might sell more if they had a bundle pack, but I don't think the marketplaces are set up for those types of purchases.

Also, the angry birds trilogy for xbox is $34 on amazon right now. If you add the $3 for what you would pay on iOS for the three games it comes out to be $37 not too far off from this game, except the game carries over with skulls. Yes its three games, but its kind of the same game with a lot of levels, to me at least.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and Angry Brids Trilogy offers Kinect integration and is from an ESTABLISHED developer. That's the benefit form having an established consumer base: you can make more and earn more. Skulls of the Shogun lacks that following, which is why I've said I don't think this game is worth the cost. I have nothing to go on, in terms of a track record of quality. Look at the Lumia devices--Nokia doesn't have a foothold in the smartphone market right now, so they sold their flagship devices for HALF of what a flagship typically sells for, then they gave you a free accessory on top of that.

Also, I'm not advocating the cost of that Angry Birds Xbox game. I don't like that franchise, as the games never really entertained me.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
This game is lower quality than Halo? That's like saying Final Fantasy 5 was lower quality than the latest call of duty... Graphics aren't everything

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes indeed, and no bundle discounts..... Sad times. They are missing the chance to tie in multiple platforms for each user. Paying for Xbox Live gold membership should really entitle you to some discount. I am aware that MS provides a great service, but come on, throw us a bone.

Microsoft doesn't provide any pathway for the developer to do this.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble comprehending how anyone could have an issue with the price of Skulls of the Shogun. Barely five years ago a comparable game on the PC or Mac would have easily cost $20. The same game on a console, let's say the PSP or DS would have been $30 to $40. But here we with people complaining about spending $7 on a game.

In the case of a mobile environment it comes down to volume. A developer can charge less in iOS because they can be confident the game will sell in significant numbers. This is currently not the case with Windows Phone. Have you compared the number of reviews for games on iOS and WP? That alone reflects the scale of the respective marketplaces.

As for comparisons to Angry Birds, I've long felt that the game is one of the most overrated games in history. I don't understand the appeal, nor the continued success of the rehashes. But then I tend to find challenge-oriented, physics-based puzzle games obnoxious. Inevitably the game devolves either trial-and-error guessing at the unintuitive solution, or knowing the solution but having to be pixel perfect with the controls. Any game that isn't Angry Birds is easy worth double the price.

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Skulls of the Shogun!

We?re a week away from the Skulls of the Shogun Release date, and today we here at 17-BIT have a little surprise announcement! When Skulls of the Shogun is released on January 30th, 2013, the game will be discounted for a limited time for Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone! WAT!
The Windows 8 and Windows Surface version will launch at $9.99 (normally $14.99) in the Microsoft Store, and the Windows Phone version will launch at $4.99 (normally $6.99) in the Windows Phone Marketplace!
Mark your calendars! One week to go until you can start eatin? Skulls!
The official press release is below?.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN TO DEBUT WITH SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICING
The Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone versions of Skulls of the Shogun to launch at a discounted price
SEATTLE, WA (January 23, 2012) ? Indie developer 17-BIT today announced that when Skulls of the Shogun is released worldwide on January 30[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013, it will be discounted for a limited time on Windows 8 PC, Microsoft Surface, and Windows Phone. The Windows 8 and Windows Surface version will launch at $9.99 (normally $14.99) in the Microsoft Store, and the Windows Phone version will launch at $4.99 (normally $6.99) in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
?We?ve heard from the community that they want to get Skulls of the Shogun not only on their Xbox 360, but on all of their Microsoft devices,? said 17-BIT Founder and CEO, Jake Kazdal. ?By discounting the Windows 8, Windows Surface, and Windows Phone versions of Skulls, we hope everyone can dive into the Skulls Anywhere asynchronous single-player and multiplayer gameplay.?

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone knows if this game has competitive multiplayer matches after single player/ coop campaign is over? If yes it would have great replay value and then i will be getting it as soon as it launches.
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3