Wp8 gaming is such a disappointment

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Could somebody explain at what point of the day do people play these mobile games? I have just personally never figured it out.

I have PC and PS3 for gaming, but never in my life have i played a game on a mobile phone, not to talk about some horrible 3D game made for touch. MS certainly needs to fix it as there's demand for. Just don't understand the need of mobile phone games.
Its really a disappointment because;
-There are no good games except plants vs zombies, contre jour, dredd vs zombies and guns 4 hire
-Prices are very high compared to other platforms
-Some new games have performance issues (example: where is my water) because they are probably written in C# XNA
-The platform lacks support for Unity, Unreal Engine and other popular game engines
-Nobody wants to develop for Windows Phone 8 because sales are bad
-The processor of Lumia 920 aka Snapdragon S4 is slow compared to GS3 and iPhone 5

If Microsoft won't do something about the lack of games and applications, Windows Phone will die and people will #switchback to other platforms

processor is no problem at all actually. Because of the unification of hardware across WP8 and it starting with relatively strong SoC (same as GS3) there could be games with better graphics than you see over at Android with the miss match of hw configurations. This is the same effect you see on consoles or iOS family that can run graphically much more impressive games even as some Android phone might have way more stronger SoC.

Quin452

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Could somebody explain at what point of the day do people play these mobile games? I have just personally never figured it out.

I have PC and PS3 for gaming, but never in my life have i played a game on a mobile phone, not to talk about some horrible 3D game made for touch. MS certainly needs to fix it as there's demand for. Just don't understand the need of mobile phone games.

Gaming on the go - something to pass the time when travelling.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Apologies, but to put it succinctly: "you're all wrong".

The single biggest problem with WP8 gaming is WP8, and MS product managers. Specifically, WP8's lack of support for OpenGL ES. OpenGL ES (or OGLES) is the single most widely used standard in mobile gaming, supported by iOS, Android, Symbian, Maemo, Meego, BB10 and a few more. This means that a game written using OGLES can be easily ported across any of these platforms. Temple Run 2, for example, is built with OpenGL. That's why they can launch an iOS version today, and an Android version next week.

For reasons known only to Ballmer, WP8 insists on using DX11, which is mainly used in creating PC games.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 has the Qualcomm S4 but the US Note 2 has a Quad core Exynos 4412 processor/Mali 400 GPU

My mistake, not sure what made me say that, haha. However, here is a Wikipedia list of phones using that specific model of the S4:

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (3G/4G version),[SUP][45][/SUP] HTC Windows Phone 8X(US/LTE Version), HTC Evo 4G LTE,[SUP][46][/SUP] HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE,[SUP][47][/SUP] HTC One XL,[SUP][39][/SUP] HTC One X (North America),[SUP][48][/SUP] Motorola Atrix HD,[SUP][49][/SUP] Nokia Lumia 820,[SUP][50][/SUP] Nokia Lumia 920,[SUP][51][/SUP] Panasonic Eluga Power,[SUP][52][/SUP] Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8960 MDP/S,[SUP][53][/SUP] Samsung Galaxy S III (select versions),[SUP][52][/SUP] Samsung ATIV S, Sharp Aquos Phone sv (SH-10D),[SUP][52][/SUP] Sharp Aquos Phone Zeta (SH-09D),[SUP][52][/SUP] Sony Xperia GX,[SUP][54][/SUP] Sony Xperia SX,[SUP][55][/SUP] Sony Xperia V, Toshiba Regza Phone (T-02D),[SUP][52][/SUP] ZTE V96,[SUP][56][/SUP] Motorola Droid RAZR M, Motorola Droid RAZR HD, Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, LG Spectrum II 4G (VS930), LG Escape (P870), LG Optimus LTE II, LG Motion 4G , ZTE Avid 4G , LG MS870

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with the WP8 games choice. Sure some things are missing, but most games I want I can get on WP8.
Also, there are less FREE ONLY games, I prefer to buy and to do without ads and spyware games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon