Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    I HAVE SPENT HOURS TRYING TO GET THIS TO WORK. IVE TRIED RESETING MY PHONE AND LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER THINGS. I KEEP GETTING ERRORS ABOUT NO STORAGE OR NOT AVAILABLE FOR MY PHONE!

is there any way to download apps via usb?
    1. You can lower the "other" folder by throwing a BUNCH of music (or videos, whatever) on the phone via the Windows Phone app on the PC (not sure if doing the drag-and-drop sync will do this). This will force the phone to decide against keeping unneeded files in that section, then you can delete the music.

2. Some people said using your PC and going to windowsphone.com to send the download to your phone has a better chance of working.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I just bought the game but couldn't install it because of the storage issues.

I had over 2gigs free (and another 2gigs in others) and it downloaded half way and halted. The worst part is, it ate up my storage because now I only have some 900megs free while the Others have jumped to 3.2GB!!!
    I got rid of all my apps for this one game, I paid for it, and I don't have space to install this on my brand new phone (820) I bought two months ago??
    F*** you Windows Phone and F*** Microsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Rahman Noor View Post
    I just bought the game but couldn't install it because of the storage issues.

I had over 2gigs free (and another 2gigs in others) and it downloaded half way and halted. The worst part is, it ate up my storage because now I only have some 900megs free while the Others have jumped to 3.2GB!!!
    I got rid of all my apps for this one game, I paid for it, and I don't have space to install this on my brand new phone (820) I bought two months ago??
    F*** you Windows Phone and F*** Microsoft.
    Because reading the multiple posts on these threads and the story of the release on how to solve that issue was just TOO hard. Again, you can lower the size of the "other" section by syncing a bunch of music via the Windows Phone app, and people said they can get around the storage error via the web browser install method.

Then again, you're always on here complaining, so it's not like telling you really matters.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Because reading the multiple posts on these threads and the story of the release on how to solve that issue was just TOO hard. Again, you can lower the size of the "other" section by syncing a bunch of music via the Windows Phone app, and people said they can get around the storage error via the web browser install method.

Then again, you're always on here complaining, so it's not like telling you really matters.
    I don't know (or want to know) why you're stalking my posts but just so you know: I DID read the posts and try everything mentioned. It didn't work: I don't have any music on my phone at all and the web browser method didn't work.

I am a customer who bought this device with 380 of my hard-earned money and I have the right to complain about it when it doesn't work the way it's supposed to (and the Others folder hogging up storage is most definitely something that's NOT supposed to work this way).

If you have a problem with that you can just go away and not reply to my posts.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    The Others folder is a problem that Microsoft NEEDS to address, and I'm sick and tired of fanboys who keep saying it's not.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I think this game may be the straw that breaks the camel's back with this 'other' issue. People who haven't hit the wall so far may well do now with this being such a high profile release and competitively priced. For my part shrink storage did nothing for me (though I understand it does for others). I've got all my music and videos on my SD card (have an L820). Done everything I could think of to free up space, removed apps, deleted maps, cleared cache. No joy. Last night I reset my phone as a last resort so bye bye all saved game information. After restoring the phone and apps I ended up with more 'other storage' than I had before the reset and still can't download the game. 79p donation at this point as far as I can see.

So I have 8gb internal storage of which 1.9 is OS. That's fine. I knew that before I bought the phone and it met my requirements but when I've got 2gb of apps but only have 300mb of space after a phone reset with 'other' running at 3.1gb the phone isn't as advertised. I'm not getting around 6gb of storage to play with for apps which was what I expected when it's being sold as having 8gb of internal storage with expandable SD card.

I had the storage issue too but now the game is playable. It seems the that the low storage memory issue can be bypassed by installing a the game via your PC's web browser version of the MS store. Of course you need to sign in with your MS account first. After that the game just added itself to my installed games list without any warning on the phone. My guess is that it used the cache on the PC to install the game.

Game itself is good as long as long as you don't use the accelerometer to turn:).

edit: another method for a low-ish memory phone is to download the installation file on your PC and put it in your SD card. After that the phone version of the Store shows you an "SD-card" option which let's you choose the file manually.

Sent from L820
    Last edited by Miekk4; 02-28-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Well, this game's on non-Windows Phone platforms as well, and has been for some time, so not really something to "show off." The only game you can really show off, when it comes to Xbox LIVE titles, is Skulls of the Shogun, which is a very-impressive strategy title.
    Oh, it is when your friends are android geeks, who won't believe that a Lumia 920's specs are sufficient to run demanding apps. As you know, they are used to quadcore chips and so on... :/
    I downloaded Skulls of the Shogun as well, but I didn't catch me so far. I don't know if SotS is the best kind of game to show off in 1-2 minutes. I'd say SotS's strengths are more in the details.
    Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 (unlocked)
    I don't know (or want to know) why you're stalking my posts but just so you know: I DID read the posts and try everything mentioned. It didn't work: I don't have any music on my phone at all and the web browser method didn't work.

I am a customer who bought this device with 380 of my hard-earned money and I have the right to complain about it when it doesn't work the way it's supposed to (and the Others folder hogging up storage is most definitely something that's NOT supposed to work this way).

If you have a problem with that you can just go away and not reply to my posts.
    Yep, you come into a thread I'VE already commented in, act like an obnoxious child, then I'M a stalker for replying to your post, again, n a thread I ALREADY POSTED IN.

So you don't have any music on your phone...how is that doing everything mentioned when I said that when I overloaded the phone WITH MUSIC, it cut down on the other section of the phone? I mean, tell me it doesn't work all you want, but after doing it about 4 times, I'm going to go ahead and say it's working. Ehh, why don't you do yourself a favor and just sell your Windows Phone and go back to whichever platform you were on before, rather than continuing to complain? I mean, I can't say I'm at all sorry for your problems with the platform when you openly allow them to persist.

And just for the sake of your saying my suggested method doesn't work, I'll go do it again right now.

EDIT: For the record, after doing it, I dropped my other section from 3.55 GB to 3.31 GB. It's not as much as usual, but it's still a decent 240 MB or so. I just did this about a week ago, so that kind of shows that there must be a limit to what the phone can/will delete.
    Last edited by Keith Wallace; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Yep, you come into a thread I'VE already commented in, act like an obnoxious child, then I'M a stalker for replying to your post, again, n a thread I ALREADY POSTED IN.

So you don't have any music on your phone...how is that doing everything mentioned when I said that when I overloaded the phone WITH MUSIC, it cut down on the other section of the phone? I mean, tell me it doesn't work all you want, but after doing it about 4 times, I'm going to go ahead and say it's working. Ehh, why don't you do yourself a favor and just sell your Windows Phone and go back to whichever platform you were on before, rather than continuing to complain? I mean, I can't say I'm at all sorry for your problems with the platform when you openly allow them to persist.

And just for the sake of your saying my suggested method doesn't work, I'll go do it again right now.

EDIT: For the record, after doing it, I dropped my other section from 3.55 GB to 3.31 GB. It's not as much as usual, but it's still a decent 240 MB or so. I just did this about a week ago, so that kind of shows that there must be a limit to what the phone can/will delete.
    Exactly what part of if-you-have-a-problem-with-my-complaining-then-go-away do you not understand??
    I never asked for your opinion.
    Who forced you to solve everyone's problems that you're sooo worked up with my phone's storage issues?

But since you have, let me state my view on this:
    This whole fiasco with the Others storage is a PROBLEM. I'm not saying there's no workaround for it; but the user shouldn't have to do this.
    If I wanted to root my phone and micro-manage memory allocation and app usage, I would have bought an android. But unlike some people, my life doesn't revolve around my phone (or computer) for me to spend hours on gadget housekeeping.

I expect things to work the way they're advertised. And when they don't, I will complain. And unless you're the sole owner of WPcentral, this isn't your house to say I what I can and can't. I hope we're clear on this.
    Exactly what part of if-you-have-a-problem-with-my-complaining-then-go-away do you not understand??
    I never asked for your opinion.
    Who forced you to solve everyone's problems that you're sooo worked up with my phone's storage issues?

But since you have, let me state my view on this:
    This whole fiasco with the Others storage is a PROBLEM. I'm not saying there's no workaround for it; but the user shouldn't have to do this.
    If I wanted to root my phone and micro-manage memory allocation and app usage, I would have bought an android. But unlike some people, my life doesn't revolve around my phone (or computer) for me to spend hours on gadget housekeeping.

I expect things to work the way they're advertised. And when they don't, I will complain. And unless you're the sole owner of WPcentral, this isn't your house to say I what I can and can't. I hope we're clear on this.
    Again, I was posting in here before you came in here with your horrendous attitude, so no.

So you SAY you tried workarounds, but then say you didn't, then complain that they're offered? Name me a SINGLE product without problems. I mean, since you care to dump on Windows Phone, why don't you enlighten us all to the perfect platform that has no issues and always works as-intended, right out of the box? I mean, with the way you're acting like this issue has murdered your family, there must be platform that does everything without fail, every single time you try, and it's ONLY Windows Phone that has issues in its second major iteration, right?

For all of the complaining, you never:

1. Suggest fixes (or even take those from others, I guess)
    2. Offer up another platform without issues

I have nothing against complaining (I mean, I've made several complaints about the platform on this forum), but you come in with the absolute WORST attitude of any member of the community I've seen, and it's pretty moronic. If you're having such a bad time that you need to come onto a forum and act like this, you're doing yourself a disservice by even staying with the platform. So, I guess I'll just put it this way: If you have such a HUGE problem with the platform, leave it, and stop acting like any other platform is full of benevolence and perfection, because I can list a BUNCH of problems encountered with iOS and Android devices that bother me MUCH more than simply having to sync extra music every couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by sueha View Post
    Oh, it is when your friends are android geeks, who won't believe that a Lumia 920's specs are sufficient to run demanding apps.
    This speaks to my big problem with the tech press in general. Every new phone that's released people freak out over like it's the next big thing. But the fact is that the actual hardware features only incremental updates. It's the same kind of spec wars we were seeing through the 90s and early 00s. The one big disruptor today is the OS. Back then you'd have an OS for several years, with updates being guaranteed but not crucial. With smartphones, you're lucky if your phone is supported a couple of versions out.

The North American version of the Galaxy S3, the HTC One S and some in the Nexus line feature hardware identical to the Lumia 920. A couple of the top tier Android phones have better hardware, but the improvements are decidedly incremental. And for gaming quad-core processors are irrelevant, what matters is the GPU. That's why the iPhone 5 has such a consistent edge in graphics performance despite a CPU that spec-wise is inferior to most other devices on the market.

The HTC 8X and Lumia 820 in particular, likely have the edge in graphical performance because both have to push fewer pixels. But the problem besetting top tier Windows Phones is two-fold.

The first is that we're at the end of the development chain. Initial development targets iOS first, and maybe even Android. That means they get all the optimizations that guarantee good performance. Our ports get dumped on some third-party who routinely lack the skill, budget and time to produce a comparably polished product. That results in the perception that Windows Phone isn't up to the task even though the devices are every bit as capable.

The second problem is that the Lumia 920, HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S are all using hardware that is on the trailing end of this generation. The GPU, in particular, is a weak point. The next gen variants of our hardware are barely months away, but coming for Android first of course. We should have at least gotten the hardware in the Chinese Lumia 920T. It's been shown in benchmarks that the Adreno 225 is barely on par with the GPU in the iPhone 4S/iPad 2. So Apple's done a better job of future-proofing their hardware. But then it's hard to argue with the price point of Windows Phone 8 devices. And even with better hardware you're still stuck with the issue of second-rate development. There's no real reason not to have gaming performance on par with anything else on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    This speaks to my big problem with the tech press in general. Every new phone that's released people freak out over like it's the next big thing. But the fact is that the actual hardware features only incremental updates. It's the same kind of spec wars we were seeing through the 90s and early 00s. The one big disruptor today is the OS. Back then you'd have an OS for several years, with updates being guaranteed but not crucial. With smartphones, you're lucky if your phone is supported a couple of versions out.

The North American version of the Galaxy S3, the HTC One S and some in the Nexus line feature hardware identical to the Lumia 920. A couple of the top tier Android phones have better hardware, but the improvements are decidedly incremental. And for gaming quad-core processors are irrelevant, what matters is the GPU. That's why the iPhone 5 has such a consistent edge in graphics performance despite a CPU that spec-wise is inferior to most other devices on the market.

The HTC 8X and Lumia 820 in particular, likely have the edge in graphical performance because both have to push fewer pixels. But the problem besetting top tier Windows Phones is two-fold.

The first is that we're at the end of the development chain. Initial development targets iOS first, and maybe even Android. That means they get all the optimizations that guarantee good performance. Our ports get dumped on some third-party who routinely lack the skill, budget and time to produce a comparably polished product. That results in the perception that Windows Phone isn't up to the task even though the devices are every bit as capable.

The second problem is that the Lumia 920, HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S are all using hardware that is on the trailing end of this generation. The GPU, in particular, is a weak point. The next gen variants of our hardware are barely months away, but coming for Android first of course. We should have at least gotten the hardware in the Chinese Lumia 920T. It's been shown in benchmarks that the Adreno 225 is barely on par with the GPU in the iPhone 4S/iPad 2. So Apple's done a better job of future-proofing their hardware. But then it's hard to argue with the price point of Windows Phone 8 devices. And even with better hardware you're still stuck with the issue of second-rate development. There's no real reason not to have gaming performance on par with anything else on the market.
    I agree on MOST of what you say. However, there are things I disagree with, and will point out just a couple:

1. I've actually heard that the manufacturing process used in the iPhone 5's CPU makes it a bit BETTER than what we get from the S4, but haven't seen anything to clearly back that up one way or the other.

2. I disagree that Apple's doing a better job of futureproofing hardware. They keep leaving out features in their devices, like skipping LTE in the 4S and NFC in the 5. I mean, think about the fact that there are MILLIONS of people who won't be able to access LTE on their devices until this fall, once those 4S contracts expire. Then consider that if NFC takes off this year (perhaps right after an NFC-enabled iPhone launches), those who just got the 5 last fall won't be able to access NFC until NEXT fall. The core components might be a bit more future-proofed, but the devices as a whole aren't. I mean, consider that NO iPhone has provided users with an HD-resolution screen yet.

The main thing I agree on, though, is the GPU in the 920. They released a superior alternative in China right after, so they should have just stuck the 920T's SoC in the regular 920, though it's possible they simply weren't able to get enough of those together. Even then, I wouldn't mind (too much) if Nokia simply started shipping the 920 with those newer chips, so they could give the device a bit longer life cycle.

Heck, in a perfect world, Nokia would let you purchase a hardware upgrade, meaning you send them your phone and $50, then they slap the 920T chip into your phone. That'd be pretty sweet, but it's never going to happen. I'd buy into that business model though, ESPECIALLY since we have to invest 2 years into these phones.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Again, I was posting in here before you came in here with your horrendous attitude, so no.

So you SAY you tried workarounds, but then say you didn't, then complain that they're offered? Name me a SINGLE product without problems. I mean, since you care to dump on Windows Phone, why don't you enlighten us all to the perfect platform that has no issues and always works as-intended, right out of the box? I mean, with the way you're acting like this issue has murdered your family, there must be platform that does everything without fail, every single time you try, and it's ONLY Windows Phone that has issues in its second major iteration, right?

For all of the complaining, you never:

1. Suggest fixes (or even take those from others, I guess)
    2. Offer up another platform without issues

I have nothing against complaining (I mean, I've made several complaints about the platform on this forum), but you come in with the absolute WORST attitude of any member of the community I've seen, and it's pretty moronic. If you're having such a bad time that you need to come onto a forum and act like this, you're doing yourself a disservice by even staying with the platform. So, I guess I'll just put it this way: If you have such a HUGE problem with the platform, leave it, and stop acting like any other platform is full of benevolence and perfection, because I can list a BUNCH of problems encountered with iOS and Android devices that bother me MUCH more than simply having to sync extra music every couple of months.
    What's wrong with you man?
    All I did was make a complaint and you're turning a mole-hill into a mountain. Perhaps you just need to take a deep breath and realise not everyone thinks WP8 is as perfect as you do. And do yourself a favor and stop answering my posts.
    I'm done arguing with you.
    Last edited by Abdul Rahman Noor; 02-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    What's wrong with you man?
    All I did was make a complaint and you're turning a mole-hill into a mountain. Perhaps you just need to take a deep breath and realise not everyone thinks WP8 is as perfect as you do. And do yourself a favor and stop answering my posts.
    I'm done arguing with you.
    Well, you decided to come into a thread and derail it with anger and profanity over the matter, then dismiss suggestions on how to fix the matter. You decided I'm a stalker because you came into a thread I was already in. You keep bashing the platform in a thread about one game, and you seem perfectly content with just complaining without end, and it's pretty terrible when you try to drag down other threads with it.

Again, I offered a solution to you, legitimately trying to help, but you decided it wasn't worth your time to fix the problem. Even then, I'll show you this that I just found in another thread, so feel free to try it if you want:

Shrink Storage | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

The app does what I already suggested: It overloads the storage on the phone so the software convinces itself to dump unneeded files, then deletes the added files, all in an attempt to clear the bloated section of the storage.

Again, we're not fanboys because we're finding workarounds and saying it's not the crippling apocalypse you treat it as. Every OS has its growing pains and its general problems, so what I'm trying to get at is here is a SECOND chance to help you solve the problem. If you refuse to take 5 minutes to use either method I've suggested (manually adding files or using that app), you can't sit there and yell that Microsoft is causing you problems when there are two clear solutions right in front of you.
    I got it to work. :)

now I just need to load all my media and apps back onto my phone...
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Yeah, I'm in the process of doing that as well, not because I needed room to install this game (still waiting on getting it), but because I wanted to clear some space off of my "other" section. Cleared about 300 MB after all was said and done, I think.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sueha View Post
    Oh, it is when your friends are android geeks, who won't believe that a Lumia 920's specs are sufficient to run demanding apps. As you know, they are used to quadcore chips and so on... :/
    I downloaded Skulls of the Shogun as well, but I didn't catch me so far. I don't know if SotS is the best kind of game to show off in 1-2 minutes. I'd say SotS's strengths are more in the details.
    Problem is, this isn't a demanding game. It's available for the iPhone 3GS , and later, and a ton of Android phones. There isn't a 1gb of RAM requirement on other platforms.

The 920 is more than capable of running demanding stuff, there just isn't anything available.

Hows the framerate on Asphalt 7 for the Lumia 820? It appears to be running at native res on the 920 and It's a dog, I have to goto bumper cam just to get it smooth.

loaded fine and plays great on my 822!!.......99 cents what a buy and graphics and game play are great

Quote Originally Posted by Letros View Post
    Hows the framerate on Asphalt 7 for the Lumia 820? It appears to be running at native res on the 920 and It's a dog, I have to goto bumper cam just to get it smooth.
    Works great if you manage to scrape enough space to actually install it.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I have used Shrink, and only scraped 200Mb back. Leaving me with 2.23Gb on Other. with about the same available to use.

Couldn't install Asphalt from the Store as not enough memory apparently.

Sent the game to my handset from windowsphone.com and it started to download, then i got the memory low error, and the game stopped downloading.

I cancelled the installation, rebooted and used shrink again to try purge the game install file out of my other folder.

I'm now stuck with only 656Mb available and my Other at almost 4Gb.

Shrink isnt working at all now....
    Quote Originally Posted by lnsertName View Post
    I have used Shrink, and only scraped 200Mb back. Leaving me with 2.23Gb on Other. with about the same available to use.

Couldn't install Asphalt from the Store as not enough memory apparently.

Sent the game to my handset from windowsphone.com and it started to download, then i got the memory low error, and the game stopped downloading.

I cancelled the installation, rebooted and used shrink again to try purge the game install file out of my other folder.

I'm now stuck with only 656Mb available and my Other at almost 4Gb.

Shrink isnt working at all now....
    Which device do you have? Just wondering for sake of space available. I'll offer 2 suggestions:

1. The way that I clear space from other is by syncing music to my phone (via the Windows Phone app, not sure if the phone reacts the same way with a drag-and-drop sync). I pick more music than my phone can hold, then it'll start clearing stuff as the memory gets low during the sync. It only clears AT MOST 300 MB now, but my first time doing it cleared about 1.5 GB.
    2. If you can't get the installer fromAsphalt 7 cleared out that way, you could delete a bunch of apps, complete the install, then delete Asphalt 7 and reinstall your other apps/games. That would almost surely dump that extra 700 MB that is likely the partially-installed Asphalt 7 installer/game.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123