Do you ever pay for games?

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy to pay for games and apps. I hate in-app purchases on principle and ads are even worse. I've also developed a little and I know how much work it takes, so coughing up $7 for a top-tier game that I'll play and I know took a couple thousand man hours is a no-brainer. I've actually bought a fair number of apps and games knowing I will rarely use, simply to support the developers.

Note: I have a BlackBerry Z10 and follow WPCentral for Xbox and Windows 8 stuff rather than WP, but I still thought it useful to weigh in here. My number of $7 is because that's generally the high end for game prices on BlackBerry.

electromatt

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I've ever paid to play a game on WP.

I did do about $50 in micro transactions on my 900 for a few games, too bad they didn't carry over when I switched to my 1020 :(

juliusgy

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm from a country that has no copyright and so paying for software isn't something that happens here.

However as a programmer, I understand how much work goes into making games and so if I really like a game I will pay for it.

I've bought Fruit Ninja (twice), Asphalt 7&8, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope...and I've also spent a fair bit of money on in game purchases for Rule the Kingdom.

I also play Dota 2 on Steam, and I've spent a bit of money (about $50) on cosmetics etc.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally i don't know why people pay for expensive games like GTA. Why would u want to play that on your phone, especially when the battery will probably go flat after 45mins of solid play.

andresalviar

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I actually would love to, but in my country there are not many payment options, only with credit cards, so here people usually don-t have credit cards and we are very limited in that way, until we have more options maybe, but for now I don-t.

SocalTouch

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I buy games all the time. I am actually not even a gamer and buy games that I think my kids will like when they play with my phone. But there are caveats -
1. I somehow cannot justify a price higher than $2.99 for a game (maybe the fact that I am not a gamer plays a part in this).
2. I seem to mostly only buy games that either have -
a) Great ratings in store
b) Equivalent offering on iOS and Android (to encourage more devs to bring their offerings to WP)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I will gladly pay for a game as long as the quality and support is there. It doesn't matter if it's a 1st party game or an indie game as long as it's quality and the price is justifiable.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Price is always a factor comparing 6.99 vs .99, I'm always looking for longevity/quality so of its there I'll pay for it. I hardly ever spend over 2.99 though and when I do its because of a price cut. Just my .02

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I pay if I like the game after I play a free trial or if the game has amazing graphics and gameplay. I usually will buy any game that pushes the hardware that I am currently using. I don't like Grand Theft Auto, even for consoles but I bought it just to see how it runs on my 1020 and future devices. I don't mind paying to play and I try to keep around $15 set aside for games over a 3-6 month span of time.

Some games, ones that I have been waiting on or that I am a huge fan of the genre are basically insta-buys, such as Asphalt 8, the combination of graphics, sound, controls and an established franchise that I actually like meant that I would have bought it even if it was $6.99 as I was eagerly awaiting it.

Build hype for your games and people will be more willing to buy them and yes, the free trial is a must and separates Windows Phone from other OSes.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don?t like to play in my phone or any handheld console. Honestly almost all the games I have in my WP are because they got free for a limited time. Now in the other side of the coin I don?t like apps with ads? I hate adds.

I would gladly pay for games like MonsterUp Adventures in which the artwork and the music are cheerful. Also, in my personal experience Marios (developer) is a good guy and I don?t have problems in buying the game even if I?m going to play no more than five minutes. My wife like the games too and she has her onw copy of the games.

About the app in purchase in F2P. No, I do not pay for those transactions and neither does my wife. I do not consider a game with microtransactions worthy of playing.

Bottom line, I would not mind to buy a game that I will not play if the work worth the money and the developer seems to be good person/company in the WP ecosystem. My wife plays and buy games she likes but not at prices like Final Fantasy games (less than 5 dlls is acceptable).

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I buy a lot of apps, fewer games. I prefer to pay for things up front, but I am not averse to trying something and then unlocking all features/removing ads/etc through IAP. I also don't mind subscriptions or paying for upgrades. I avoid apps/games that have the continuous trickle of IAP. It all comes down to value.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I buy games that don't suck. i probably have 40, but don't really play any on my phone. idky i buy them. if it's a good game, and it doesn't even have any reason to buy i'll buy just to support a guy.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I pay if its a good quality game and the price isn't expensive (like $0.99, $1.49 is pushing it for me). I think one of the major hurdles is the fact games can be delisted and people who paid essentially lose the app when they get a new phone or need to reinstall. I like ads in games but I do get annoyed when the ads are in the way of game play. Ads don't need to be showing all the time imo, just put them in the level select menu to guarantee they are displayed during use of the game.

reprod3

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I've paid for about 15-20 apps in the Windows Phone and Windows ecosystems. If the app is solid with regular updates I always support the developer. I am a developer myself after all.

leoniDAM

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The Games are not my first interest on smartphone so i'm not very interested to buy games.
But there are some exceptions, when i find an interesting game, like iStunt 2, Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope, i've bought those games, i also bought some credit in Asphalt 8.
But it is rare that i buy a game becouse i don't play very much on my phone (and also becouse now my wallet lacks of money), for this generally i put my attention on free and easy games

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
In third-world and on development countries you simply cannot offer an app paid-only because in these countries getting a credit card is very difficult, and don't ever think about international cards. I can get a credit card here in Chile, but it was very difficult to get an international one to be able to use it for MS services.

The only option to please everyone is offering a free ad-supported version alongside a paid one without ads or as IAP. But in terms of revenue, I prefer the ad-supported since I could get a constant flow of revenue independent of the amount of people buying the app each month which would be none or few after the first months. Another option would be a subscription model, but I'm afraid there is no support for said model and it would be impractical due the low prices users are accustomed to with mobile apps.

Hate it or love it, from a developers standpoint a DLC-based model is a great model also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6