Do you ever pay for games?

TheWinPhan

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Without a doubt, I will pay for games! I also encourage my family and friends to do the same. I couldn't care less if it's a XBL game in all honesty. If its a well designed game, that matters more. My son who is a GAMER feels the same. Would love to see more US centric sports games make it into the store, it's one of the important game genres that needs to be addressed if the US marketshare is going to increase.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
No. I don't find it easy or enjoyable spending too much time playing games on small handsets and tablets at all. I prefer to play on large television screens with much better graphics, speed and features.

ernonewman

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the game, the most likely way I ever become aware of indie game is it's reviewed on a site like WPCentral or I happen to wander into the store on the phone. If it has a good review I'm willing to try it but at this point it's good if it has a trial available. If it can keep my attention for 10 minutes then I'll buy it.

Denegar

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to pay for apps, games included, to get rid of advertisements. In fact, it bugs me when an ad-supported app doesn't have an ad-free paid version. However, I almost only ever purchase apps if they have a free ad-supported or trial version so that I can find out if they are worth it first.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I will immediately pay for a good app after trying it. If it is not good, I will erase it. If I can't try it, I will probably not buy it.

I'm not being cheap as I believe the developer needs to be compensated. I hate apps that have adds ans I hate fremium apps... I would rather pay for no adds ans 75% or all core content or I will not try/buy/install at all...

Again, I am not cheap and time is money... The adds and so called premium content is a waste of time ans therefore makes the app of little value to me.

I purchase more tool/apps than games on my phone, but more games on my surface as it pretty much has all the functionality I desire.

I love apps that sync data to SkyDrive, has controller support, etc.

mike tirtis

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Until now, I have never bought an app.
My biggest fear is that I may switch phone or have a factory reset and then I would have to pay again for my apps. I don't know if this is what would happen or if the store would actually let me re-install an app unlimited times...

The only scenario I can think of me paying for an app is, an imaginary world where the app would be available on wp8 store AND available on Windows 8.1 store, and with a small payment I could have the same game installed on my laptop and my phone, that would be cool... Or paying one publisher one time, and then have unlimited access on his downloads all his apps :smile:

jpspiderman

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
It depends on what the cost is and the replay value of the game. The more good reviews you can get the more likely people will pay. On the flipside you also have to hit a critical mass of users to have people feel comfortable with paying sometimes. Me personally that's why i think a try mode is a good way to go on the wp app store.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For me it all depends on the style of game. Of course if it doesn't peak my interest I won't purchase or play.

However, I have already spent a good amount on games/apps to either purchase or remove ads.

If I have the ability to try before I buy, it'll also give me more of an idea if the game/app is worth my purchase.

Overall, I do try to support native developers of anymore as much as possible, even if it's purchasing a app than deleting it.

myrandex

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
I've bought some games but not too many on WP. And I've bought zero for my Android tablet. I just don't spend a lot of time playing games on my phone. Touch screen controls have never been something I've enjoyed for starters, so only certain types of games I'd ever consider buying. I paid for a Final Fantasy game and with that being a slower menu based game that would be doable. I would pay for a FF Tactics conversion easily. Then I've bought a couple of others (fruit ninja, and cut the rope, but most of the ones I play on mobile the couple of times I play them are free.

Mac Morrison

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow, great comments. And honest ones too. I hear you about xbox live enabled titles sadly its close to impossible for an indie to publish an xbl title, even Disney games aren't !

I've got achievements built in but they will probably only be seen in ios and android versions os game centres.

my game is a tiny title so I've little to lose but its a big issue generally for pro game devs.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
to answer the topic, yes.

I've definitely purchased more games/apps on WP. Sometimes just to support the ecosystem, since there are some highly rated games that I purchased and have yet to even load. On my ipad I have not spent any money buying games, but there is one f2p with iap game, puzzle & dragons, where I've spent perhaps way too much on. If that ever comes to WP, I'll probably spend even more.

Ads in games are definitely annoying, but it if it doesn't get in the way, it's ok. In a location based game like QONQR, I've purchased IAP stuff once or twice, which lets you disable the Ads for a month or so, but even when the ads are there, it's not as intrusive given that the game is not at all graphic intensive.

ultimately, my mentality with mobile games that are already cheaply priced (no thanks to apple's app store) is that I should be able to at least tip the developer a couple bucks to buy a beer. I can skip an overpriced coffee here and there to do that.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I mostly play paid games. I guess in last months I have spend around 20 - 30 bucks on games for my phone. If the trial is enjoyable and game costs 1$ I usually don't even think about purchasing and just hit the buy button.

If there is something I hate it is In-app purchases. Especially when you buy game for 3$ and there are IAPs (Gravity Guy 2 for example and others).. Problem with IAPs is that in most cases they are here to mine another money of you. If you don't pay gameplay is much harder or you cannot even play...

micha_beck

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
NO! F2P are mostly pay to win! I had inapp purchases. I spend money on quality games. Paid for a bunch of indie games. They just need to be good :)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've paid for several. If the game is good, I'm happy to pay $1-2 for it. I prefer a free trial, or ad supported game, that I can then pay to remove the ads. Games that are F2P, I typically get tired of quickly b/c you usually can't be any good at a game without buying the 'good stuff'.

ex. Hill Climb Racing...(F2P) normally I wouldn't buy the coins...but b/c I like the game, and wanted the ads gone, I paid the $1.99 to support the developer and remove the adware.

Brandon57

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I rarely pay for games, however there are some exceptions. Part of the reason I don't often pay for games stems from the fact that I don't really play that many games since I am in school and working at the same time. I do pay for a game after playing its free trial and finding that I would like it. If a game doesn't have a free trial then it is hard for me to justify buying it since I don't know for sure how well I am going to like it or not. I sometimes justify buying a game if it was reviewed by WPCentral and even then mostly only after watching its video to determine it really looks like I am going to like it.

I sometimes buy IAP for games that I really like as well, depending on what the IAP does. Usually I don't buy them for currency or disposables, but for more levels or removing ads. Sometimes a game is so good (and the ads don't really interfere too much) that I have paid to remove the ads simply to show appreciation and to support the developer even though the ads weren't a problem.

If you are going to make a free game or app, I think it would still be a good idea to include a way for users to donate even if it only gets them satisfaction knowing that they showed appreciation to the developer.

Main point for me is that if you are going to charge for a game (or app in general) you should be sure to include a free trial.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've spent way too much money on games, more than I should. Mostly from in-app purchases. I try to purchase Xbox games as much as I can, but some indie games are too good to pass.

SinfulKnight

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This is a really good subject. As a Gamer and a Developer I look for quality in my game, ether story or gameplay. Their are far to many free to play games out there that are filled with adds or in-app purchases. I just bought a game the other day that had in app purchases which makes multiplayer completely unbalanced.

Right now I'm sort of hooked on Simpsons Tapped out. A city builder game with in-app purchases. While you can buy stuff to progress faster the other purchases are more cosmetic and for fun. Now this being a big EA game they have the resources to push good quality games out while smaller devs need to work harder for no name titles.

I like the idea of getting something free for nothing but I would be more inclined to pay for something that was fully flushed out. I've been on Apple since 08' and have spent so much money on app's and maybe about a year ago is when I stopped caring because that market is over run with so many games and apps. Since getting my Lumia 1520 I have started caring about games and app's on my phone again. I haven't picked up my 3DS or Vita in a few weeks. I do have more Xbox Live games on my phone vs non-Xbox games but I have paid for like the Zombie card game Shelter, into the dead and Clockwork Tales. Games I feel that have a great idea and the dev's worked hard on (as per the games description, screenshots and reviews).

In some cases I think demo's for good games are still a great idea, and for free to play games making the in-app purchases something more of just cosmetic and fun. Making a game where I have to constantly spend money to progress a little bit is a horrible design.

Kotaku also ran an article about how in-app purchases are ruining some games and it shows a good example of bad in-app purchases. A Cancer Thats Eroding The Market - Reactions To EAs Dungeon Keeper

b_wilson

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm cheap.
Only pay for it if it has lots of good reviews.
Free trial system works well, but sometimes I quit playing, even if I like it, just because I don't want to pay.
I never do in-game purcahses. They drive me nuts. Why should someone else be "better" at a game just cause they throw in the money.
$1 isn't a lot of money, I shell out $30-$50 for a full-sized game. But in the world of FREE, $1 feels like a back-breaker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans