Do you ever pay for games?

Mac Morrison

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I launched a free game today (PENKU)
in teh past i would of put it up at 69p / $1
but it seems that that is the sure way to get 10 downloads

even the big titles are all F2P (with the odd exception in the xbox live zone)

I hate in app currency/energy systems.

Though I'm thinking of adding in a different game mode that is a one time purchase to unlock.

do you every pay or do you only play for free.

its depressing that people think months of work is worth less than a candy bar.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Depends. I've not yet paid on WP8 but then again I've only been here for 5 days.

I pay for games on Android though. One very good thing is the 15 mins auto refund window. I can confidently try unknown/less-known games. Has helped me unearth some hidden gems. Used to get around 5 paid games a month in addition to Humble Bundles.

I'm also on Steam. Get around 5 games a month. Plus Humble Bundles too.

So yeah, I set aside a little a month on games. I'd DEFINITELY buy a mobile game if: a) No in-apps (with some exceptions) b) It is a unique concept c) It's a brand that I'm already familiar with (such as Rayman)

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Games are tricky. I have used IAP's. I have also bought games (mostly gameloft titles) the problem with games are you don't NEED them. I have bought way more apps and even spent money to disable ads on some free apps because they are great apps with great developers and I need the app. 6tag, 6snap, simple calendar, and ProShot are great examples. I used Rudy's apps to get a feel for them in the beginning but don't use them now. I bought them because I believe in him and what he does. Great apps will find followers. I'm sure great games will too but they generally don't make my life any easier.

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Only 3 till now (Have Lumia 1020 around 2 months) :

Asphalt 8
Skateboard Party 2
Into the Dead

If game is good i will pay. But i usually wait for some price cuts.

Edit: And that Penku game you did looks fun, i will try it. Did you get any money for it? You should.

Puneet Kohli

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I do pay for games generally especially Indie titles that are good, just to support indie devs like me.

We launched Pastry Push just a day ago, and we seem to have got some conversions from trial to full version. But I can't tell you the exact numbers as it's confidential and plus the store takes 3 days to update us with the exact nos. WPCentral also did an article on it

But anyways, I tend to buy games made by devs such as myself to support them and the indie gaming scene :)

Generally though I dont buy big titles as they come out for free/sale more than once through out the year

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought Radiant Defense recently. Paid 2.99$ :)
If app/game is worth spending money... Then.. why not! Personally I love when stuff is free and includes advertising (with iap to remove) or donation button.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Looking through the games I have, I paid for three of them and made an in-app purchase in one. I am not much of a gamer, but $2.99 for Contre Jour is worth it. Phone games are cheap.

It baffles me when I look at the reviews of $0.99 games and people comment, "Make it free!" I can't imagine a game worth playing that is not worth $0.99.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So far I haven't paid for any games on WP8. I have taken advantage of different games being on free offers.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll pay if I like them game, but typically ill need to have tried a demo of it. If there's no demo than I probably won't pay. f there is a developer I have strong support for, I will pay regardless if I'll use it or not. I use all of Rudy's apps except I'm not a Tinder user. I purchased it anyway as he deserves the support.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
On my iPhone and Android, I've never pay for games since I can download the .apk.
For my entire life, the games I bought are:
PC: Dragon Age Origin $1.00 (the rest are downloaded in skidrow etc. for free)
Windows Phone: Asphalt 7 and NOVA 3

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I love these cheap games, it's getting back to the days when I could buy games from the local shop on cassette (for younger users, cassettes were kind of like those old floppy disks your Dad used to use, only cut into long strips of 'tape' and wrapped around two reels). I will always buy a game in preference to getting a game covered in ads. Hate those. Thing is, with only 8gig storage on my 820 I'm not going to buy many WP8 games as it just doesn't add up. Now, on my Win8 tablet I'm much more likely to buy a game. If I was a dev I'd concentrate on Win8 rather than WP8 in the first instance. More storage on devices equals more chance of your game being bought. Your game will have to compete hard to win any of the meagre space on my phone. That's just the way the maths work, it's an equation.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have spent probably $60 + on wp games. I never bought android games because you don't have to. I have an iPhone now as my daily driver and they give away free games and apps daily. So I can get some apps / games for free, where in windows phone I would have probably paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I pay for games and apps. I believe that if we want more apps in the store we have to support the developers. When they see games and apps sell they will be encouraged to make more games and apps for WP. Games and apps are generally cheap so I see no reason not to pay for them.
I, personally, prefer paid apps to apps with advertisement. I am always happy to purchase a pro version if such is available.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I pay for apps all the time. But, I will say that if there is a free trial I will be more prone to try them out and buy them if I like them/get real use from them. Also, I don't mind in app purchasing, it gives me the choice of playing on/faster or just having to do it the hard way.

It's important that people get paid for their work, and whatever model they choose to do it with good with.

I'm tired of everyone thinking everything should be free. Support your devs, it's crucial! And devs, support your base with trial modes.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I'll gladly pay for quality apps and games. As far as I'm concerned the time and effort put in by devs is worth a few bucks at least. And ya, I think supporting the devs will only bring more of them to WP.

ThinkFast81

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
For me I really do pay for both apps and games especially if they worth it, however, some of them have reasonable prices which is a good deal to go for.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't pay for Windows Phone games, but I don't really bother with free games either. I'm a PC gamer (Steam). Mobile games just don't interest me.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't pay for Windows Phone games, but I don't really bother with free games either. I'm a PC gamer (Steam). Mobile games just don't interest me.

Well that's some mature response.

Either way, I went from mobile gaming (mostly Android) to PC gaming (Steam). And yes, PC gaming is miles ahead, but as long as you have a decent phone/tab, there are a good number of premium mobile games worth playing as well.

Also, to point out, in recent months, there has been a great convergence between mobile and PC gaming. I have lost count of the number of games launching on Steam that were mobile games originally, and vice versa. Also, a number of games have had simultaneous launches on both platforms.

So yeah, don't be too dismissive. Have an open mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)