[Blog Post] Upcoming WP8 / W8 RPG - Demon's Bane

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
No prob.

I've found another way to reduce memory usage for the animations to practically nothing. I'm hoping this will be enough. If this fails, I really have no idea what I can do to further optimize the game.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I've found one way that might get the game to work on low memory devices. Rather than compressing everything to the point where it looks bad on all devices but runs on low memory devices, I could limit the character choices available on low memory devices from 18 to perhaps just 6? Keep the main character classes available only (a wizard, a fighter, a healer, etc.) and leave the full character roster only available on high memory devices. That approach combined with some fairly heavy heavy optimization should allow it to run without crashing. What are your thoughts on that approach?

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, back from a few days of travelling. Sorry for lack of updates.

I've done some optimizations but it's not yet enough to get it working reliably on 512MB devices. I think the plan at the moment is to use a temporary solution that will allow only 6 characters to be used on low memory devices and not have the full choice of 18 available. That way, low memory devices can still play the game while I try to figure out a solution. I'll select one of each major character type for the low memory team. Probably something like:

- Basic Fighter (female duelist)
- Big Fighter (minotaur or giant)
- 2 of the mages
- Thief character
- Elf Archer

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Quick update ... still working through various things to optimize the core game for mobile and low memory devices. It's really a struggle as even though I'm using similar kinds of 3d models as I did in Gun Frenzy, my previous release, the hex grid really adds a lot of overhead that Gun Frenzy didn't have to deal with.

Worst case scenario is that I have to release two versions in the app store of this game. A normal one for 1GB and above devices and a "Lite" version for low memory devices that will have only 6 to 8 characters available to play. I hate the thought of having two games to maintain though in the windows store ... blah. :crying:

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I think I've found a way for it to now work on 512MB devices. My memory profiler software says that the game hovers around 160MB of RAM usage now with 6 playable characters rather than the full 18. I'm going to try to release it and see if it works or not. Should be out sometime today.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Uploading the next version now. It doesn't include any noticeable updates so those on a 1GB or 2GB device can probably ignore this update. The changes are under the hood and relate to trying to get it to work on 512MB devices.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I might have to give up on getting this game to work on 512MB devices for now. After a huge amount of effort to compress files, animations, textures and everything else I can think of ... my profiler software still shows me using 190MB of RAM on the gameplay levels. The limit of 512 MB devices is only 180MB and I can't think of anything else I can do to reduce the memory requirement.

I'm going to shift gears now and get back to developing the game under the assumption that it'll be available only on 1GB and higher devices. I'll take another stab at getting it to work on 512MB devices before I release it but I'm just not able to put more time and effort into it now. Hopefully, I'll learn some other trick by then but for now, I need to focus on getting the game developed. Sorry guys.

ahmadsamhann

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
waiting for 1GB version. this game looks promising! if those 512MB ppl wants to play games so bad, they should upgrade :)

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess so ... it's so frustrating that Microsoft doesn't allow for an app to use more than 180MB of RAM on low memory devices. Anyway, I'm not ruling it out entirely, what I think I should be able to do is make the game for 1GB devices and then make a "Light" version for low memory devices that is the same game but has fewer characters on the screen at one time. Instead of a choice of 18 characters for the player to choose, I'll just pick 3 (fighter, mage, and thief or something) and then reduce the number of enemies on each level so it isn't too hard. That should work, I think. However, it'll be after this game releases and reaches a stable level with post-release patches / improvements. That way, if there are fixes I need to apply after the release, I don't have to do them on two separate games.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm going to focus now on adding some more levels and adding new abilities to the existing characters. Next release will also have the final character class ... which will be a thief character. However, I may shuffle things around to add a Knight in there somewhere.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Quick preview of the new Halfling Explorer which will be a crossbow wielding thief / explorer that isn't very tough but will be a good missile unit and have the following abilities / traits:

1 - Ability to enter concealment mode where they are harder to hit and their chance of doing a critical hit in melee or magic increases.
2 - Ability to place explosive traps on an unoccupied ground tile that will cause damage to anyone (friend or foe) that stops on that tile.
3 - Able to search a section of tiles for hidden treasure (gold, gems, potions, etc.) using their excellent eye sight and knack for finding hiding spots.
4 - Automatic reduction in prices when buying from the vendor and automatic increase in gold received from selling to the vendor.
5 - Quick and nimble so has a fast movement and is hard to lock into melee (high pin evasion stat).

Behold ... the Halfling Explorer in all his glory. Who wants to have Minotaur, Demonic Vampire or Half Giant in their party when could have this guy?

Halfling Explorer Unit Selection.jpg

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Here are some new pics of the new level I added this morning. The game now has a complete initial quest that consists of 6 linked levels. This I the final level for this quest and includes a battle with a nasty demonic spider.

Spider Scene 2.jpg

Here's a close up of the Demon Spider. It has the legs and main body of a giant spider but has a demonic head as a thorax. Very scary stuff.

Spider Scene 1.jpg

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Added several new abilities to the Orc Berserker, Dwarf Stone Priest and Halfling Explorer. Will work on adding some abilities to the existing character classes and then release an updated version with the new content next week.

Also regarding low memory devices, I'm going to make a companion game to this shortly after this releases that has only 3 playable characters and just contains 30 or so levels with battles against the various bosses. I'll re-use most of these assets and make it into a more casual gameplay and make sure that not too many character models are in a level at one time. That should make it playable on low memory devices and should also be a fun game to boot. The only thing really stopping this main RPG game running on low memory devices is the number of characters on screen at one time ... and I don't want to compromise that as it would ruin the experience for those with 1GB or 2GB phones and tablets.

Regarding pricing, this game will likely be paid with a trial option while the low memory version will be free with ad-support. Again, the low memory version will be a different game with a separate story line but will have similar gameplay and the same core game engine / game rules. Once I complete this core game, making the low memory version shouldn't take me more than a few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon