Wishful Thinking

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
This may be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that this will correct a problem I have where my phone (Nokia 928) will wake up in the middle of the night. It will ding and then the screen will come on for a few seconds - the same thing it does when you first place it on the charger. I have the phone on my wireless charger next to my bed and this has become a real pain! I think it is related to the wireless charging process. My theory is that the charger stops charging when the battery is full, but then it discharges slightly over time and the charger will then come back on, causing the phone to ding and wake up. I'm not certain, but I think it may have begun with GDR2. It will be sweet if GDR3 fixes this.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have heard my 920 on my desktop wireless charger do this a few times, and while it was after GDR2, I am not sure if it that is the issue. I felt that it lost connection with the wireless charger and then reconnected. It happened a few times a few weeks ago but haven't noticed it again since.

lowercontrol

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
928 here and I'll have that issue from time to time, not always but once in a while. What I've started to do is rotate the phone so it sights short ways (instead of long ways) on the wireless charger base. For some odd reason this seems to help.

There is nothing worse than getting that noise @ 5 o'clock on a Saturday thinking someone is trying to get a hold of you. LOL

Bibbleq

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 920 has been massivly sensitive to the wireless charging since the update & will quite often report 40% battery after an hour or so usage having been charged wireless. If you reboot the phone it goes back to 100%. Curious if this is addressed but i suspect not...

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have also experienced this, where the phone "disconnects" from the wireless charger after some time. This seems to have started with the Amber update, so it's unlikely GDR3 will fix. It will probably require a firmware update from Nokia.

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. My 928 dings when I put it on the charger and dings when it's completely charged. So at 1 A.M. DING. Then the phone discharges 1% sitting on the nightstand, the charger kicks back in and DING! Then a short time later when the phone is completely charged again DING!.

I use the INSIDER PRO app. One of the many functions you can do with it is to limit when battery alerts ding on your phone. I have mine turned off for the whole night. There are many more useful functions within the tool so check it out.

Sorry for posting the wrong app. The correct app is INSIDER and is at https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fapps%2Finsider%2F9wzdncrfj3rz&token=7wdTVpiM. I use this enough that I ponied up the $1.29 for the Pro version which is located at https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Finsider-pro%2F9wzdncrcws68&token=GcxjPQau

Both of the above shortened URLs resolve to the Microsoft Phone App Store. Alternately just go to the app store and search for INSIDER.

Last edited:

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. My 928 dings when I put it on the charger and dings when it's completely charged. So at 1 A.M. DING. Then the phone discharges 1% sitting on the nightstand, the charger kicks back in and DING! Then a short time later when the phone is completely charged again DING!.

I use the INSIDER PRO app. One of the many functions you can do with it is to limit when battery alerts ding on your phone. I have mine turned off for the whole night. There are many more useful functions within the tool so check it out.

Sorry for posting the wrong app. The correct app is INSIDER and is at Insider | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States). I use this enough that I ponied up the $1.29 for the Pro version which is located at Insider Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Both of the above shortened URLs resolve to the Microsoft Phone App Store. Alternately just go to the app store and search for INSIDER.

I will definitely give this a try. This may be the answer I've been looking for. THANKS!

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I just went to the Nokia website and chatted with tech support. I told him that this may have been related to the Amber update. The tech I chatted with says that he has never heard of this problem - I sent him a link to this thread. Anyway, his suggestion was to do a reset. He says that the charger should not turn off and then turn back on. Before I do a reset, has anyone else tried doing this?

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I just went to the Nokia website and chatted with tech support. I told him that this may have been related to the Amber update. The tech I chatted with says that he has never heard of this problem - I sent him a link to this thread. Anyway, his suggestion was to do a reset. He says that the charger should not turn off and then turn back on. Before I do a reset, has anyone else tried doing this?

I have not tried a reset. But just to clarify my experience, the charger does not turn off. It is a DT-900 plate, and the LED stays lit even when the phone is not showing "plugged in." When I physically remove the phone from the plate, the light turns off.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Installed "Insider" yesterday and was looking forward to an undisturbed sleep. Regretfully, at 6 something this morning, my phone dinged and lit up. I have the "Disable Alerts" set to 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM. I'll try it again, but may end up doing reset.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have never experienced this issue. When my phone is finished charging the light goes off and it stays fully charged.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I ran into this last night 2 times before I finally moved over to check it....It was not correctly on the wireless charger and after I centered it on the charger, it worked fine and no more noise.

Wondering if this is a wireless charger issue...It could be a small voltage change making it disconnect and re-connect. Never noticed this problem when I had a Energiser QI charger (but, it was big and I changed to the Nokia for the form factor).

Does anyone who runs into this issue all the time have a 2nd wireless charger to try it on ?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Per your theory OP there is nothing wrong. The charger is working as intended. My recommendation, do not use wireless charging during the night if you insist on keeping your phone near you.

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have several. I often use one at work and a different one at home. I've been using these same chargers for months, and this never occurred once until after the Amber update. Now it happens every time I use either wireless charger.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope I am not being premature, but I think the Black update has solved this problem. I've had the update for about a week and haven't been wakened yet!

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Same here. At times I still find that I need to reposition the phone on the charger, while I didn't before Amber. But it's definitely an 80-90% improvement over Amber.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire