Internet sharing and Bluetooth

tewmgd

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Lumia 920 here.

I tried to enable the internet sharing with Bluetooth but I'm not sure how to do it.

• in settings > internet sharing I don't see any way to do it with Bluetooth
  • in Bluetooth, I tried to pair it with a Surface RT with Windows 8.1 Preview but the connection seems unstable (the status goes to connected/not connected)

Maybe I need a device with Windows 8.1 RTM. I hope that the Nokia update part will bring Bluetooth LE to the mix.

Has anyone succeed to use BT to share the internet connection?

Thanks for the help!

Matthieu

Joe Brinkman

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get this working. After doing the initial pairing, you can ignore bluetooth. You should now have your Windows Phone devices show up in your list of available network. Just connect to that network and it will automatically enable the Internet Sharing on your phone. Unfortunately, in my testing, it did not seem to disable internet sharing when I was done. You'll need to be careful lest you accidentally leave your Internet Sharing on and connect to it when you don't intend to. In a house where my wife and I often connect through my phone when traveling, it would be very easy for my iPad to burn through my monthly data plan.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Really REALLY like the 'Bluetooth' access to Internet Sharing. For me, Internet Sharing did, in fact turn itself off after about 5 minutes of 'inactivity' which is what it is supposed to do.

Forgot to mention, I AM using 8.1 RTM.

Last edited:

Lamenade

May 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand what you guys are saying, your just supposed to pair the device via bluetooth and it turns on the tethering automatically? That does not make any sense to me and it did not work when I tried it on my iPod touch. Does the lumia 520 maybe lack the proper bluetooth support?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Internet Sharing is still there. You just can't automatically enable it via Bluetooth from those devices like you can with Windows 8.1.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth is only initiating the connection to the phone to enable Internet Sharing. There isn't really a savings in battery in this method, it only takes away having to turn on Internet Sharing on the phone manually.

GeekPro1

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Internet sharing with Bluetooth connection is a feature of Windows Phone Update 3. You must be running that version on your phone for this to work. I am also running Windows 8.1 so I am not sure if that is also required. The feature effectively gives your PC easy access (Bluetooth) to your LTE smart phone hotspot. The Bluetooth serves 2 functions:

1. Enable internet sharing on the phone -- even if It is turned off.
2. Connect to WiFi hotspot with auto logon (no password keying required)

The WiFi hotspot is always visible in your 8.1 machine. When you click it to connect (I recommend not selecting connect automatically) it brings up the LTE connection. Sweet!

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an odd problem with ICS on my Lumia 920 (Black/GDR3). I have no problems initiating ICS (AT&T, but flashed ROM to British country variant to remove AT&T restrictions on ICS and Data Sense), but I have not been able to connect to it with my laptop when running Windows 8.1 on it. It will connect sometimes, but never better than "Limited Connectivity", i.e. no Internet access. It appears to be a problem with the DHCP assignment of IP addresses (sometimes the laptop gets one, sometimes it doesn't, but it never seems to work). I connect with many WiFi hotspots with the Win 8.1 laptop, WP ICS appears to be the only connection problem.

That said, when I boot the very same laptop into Ubuntu Linux, there is absolutely no problem connecting, it works every single time (case in point, I am currently typing this from my laptop (as Ubuntu) via the phone's ICS. Does anybody know of some wierd connection problem between Windows 8.1 and WP 8 ICS?

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So, just to be sure, you need tethering/internet sharing enabled for you by your carrier tot work in the first place, right? I can see my phone listed on my available networks, but it then tells me to contact my carrier to enable internet sharing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss