How can I add my own custom ringtone using an MP3 file?

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your phone still appears as a yellow question mark in the Device Manager? It seems that Windows XP can't install the right drivers.

To manually download and install the Windows Phone driver:
1. Go to Microsoft Update Catalog
2. Search for "windows phone winusb." You should find "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device."
3. Tap or click Add in the right-most column.
4. Tap or click View basket (just below the search box).
5. On the Updates in your basket screen, tap or click the Download button. Tap or click the Browse button and select a convenient location to save the file, such as your Desktop or the Downloads folder. Tap or click Continue, and then tap or click Close when the file has downloaded.
6. Browse to the file you downloaded (which may be contained in a folder called "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device") and then double-tap or double-click it.
7. Double-tap or double-click the file winusbcompat.cat. Select a location (such as the Desktop) to extract the file.
8. Repeat the steps under Update your Windows Phone 8 driver above, but when you reach step K, browse to the file you just saved instead of the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder.

See also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2749484 Step 4

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
-8-

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. The unzipped folder contains 2 files 1) winusbcompat.cat and 2) winusbcompat.inf.

I right clicked in winusbcompat.inf and left clicked on install. It gave me no errors, so I am assuming it got installed.

I double clicked on winusbcompat.cat and it opened a window named "Security Catalog". There is View Signature button there which I clicked. Then I clicked "View Certificate" button, then clicked on "Install certificate" button then clicked next next and installed it. I got no errors ( Do I need to install this certificate in some special method?)

Then I went to Device Manager, right clicked on qualcomm_device and clicked on "Update Driver". Then I pointed the wizard to search inside the folder where those 2 files are located .

But it still wouldnt install. The wizard says Cant Install Hardware !!!

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I think it's a problem with Windows XP. You could try to contact Microsoft because they clearly state on their own website that it should be possible to copy to and from your phone on Windows XP using explorer.

A few last things you could try:
-In windows explorer right click your phone and go to properties and unmark the box read-only
-Do a soft or a hard reset of your phone (don't forget to make a backup if you do a hard reset)

wildchild001

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I know you mentioned didn't want to use online storage but since they concluded that Win XP is not compatible with your phone, maybe you want to try this "online" method?

1. Somehow download the ringtone to your phone using your phone browser. (Either upload to online storage or search for the same ringtone)
2. Install Files app on your Windows Phone. URL: windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e
3. Open the Files app and go to where your ringtone has been downloaded to.
4. Move the mp3 ringtone file to Ringtones folder. Watch this video for how to access and move files: youtube.com/watch?v=s2ae6t121w0
5. Back to Ringtones+Sounds and just set your ringtone.

The Files app is pretty useful for managing files in phone, so I think it wouldn't be a burden for any phone to have it. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)