[#SaveXboxWP] Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

The reason is because Microsoft owns Xbox and giving away their brand to competing platforms would be counterproductive to Windows Phone's growth (but not to Xbox's growth). I think that would be a really bad move for Microsoft. That said, they've already dabbled in it: Wordament is available with Xbox achievements on both iOS and Android. I believe this really hurt WP's credibility as a competing platform, and I hope Microsoft is wise enough to never do it again.

It seems a shame. How many people really choose WP because of this? Is the platform not attractive in other ways?
And as you say, this is bad for xbox.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

It seems a shame. How many people really choose WP because of this? Is the platform not attractive in other ways?
And as you say, this is bad for xbox.

The platform is attractive in other ways: it runs smoothly (much more efficiently than Android), it has other unique features (Live Tiles, SkyDrive integration, Office integration, etc), but to quite a few people, getting Xbox achievements on the go is a huge selling point. It's hard to say how many people explicitly choose Windows Phone for this feature. There are several online communities devoted to Xbox achievement hunting, some of them with hundreds of thousands of members. They take their Xbox gamerscores very seriously, and many of them picked up Windows Phones for that purpose. I'm sure there are some more casual gamers too who were sitting on the fence ("Should I get another iPhone or try a Windows Phone) who were pushed over the edge by the Xbox feature on Windows Phone. So it's definitely something Microsoft can leverage more to improve Windows Phones sales.

Yes, it's true that keeping Xbox exclusive to Windows Phone prevents a lot of game sales that could've happened on Android and iPhone, but that would seriously hurt Windows Phone. It would completely undermine the entire platform, demonstrating that Microsoft doesn't care enough to keep their trump cards exclusive. Such things are unheard of in the gaming industry. You never see Microsoft Studios publishing games on PlayStation or Wii U; you never see Sony publish games on Xbox One or Wii U, and you never see Nintendo publish games on Xbox or PlayStation because doing so would undermine the sales of their own platforms. This is why I think it was a huge mistake for Microsoft to 'dabble' with the idea when they published Wordament as an Xbox game on iOS and Android. No one will take Windows Phone seriously if even Microsoft doesn't.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

As I said, I understand why companies might choose to make something exclusive to a certain platform. What I don't understand (even after reading this thread) is why a *user* would want this. At worst, something being available on multiple platforms doesn't disadvantage them, and at best, it is good for them as they get access to a wider range of apps, services, etc on their chosen platforms. But I'm just repeating myself now so maybe it's time to put this thread to bed.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

As I said, I understand why companies might choose to make something exclusive to a certain platform. What I don't understand (even after reading this thread) is why a *user* would want this. At worst, something being available on multiple platforms doesn't disadvantage them, and at best, it is good for them as they get access to a wider range of apps, services, etc on their chosen platforms. But I'm just repeating myself now so maybe it's time to put this thread to bed.

You have to think bigger picture. While it may seem like a very user-friendly approach for a company to put all of their services on every platform, for big corporations like Microsoft, this would undermine other services. If they put Office on iOS and Android tablets, there is less incentive for people to buy Windows tablets. If fewer people buy Windows tablets, Microsoft's competitors continue to dominate the tablet market. Companies with more clout can push out companies with less clout, and soon Microsoft is not doing as hot in one sector (tablets). Even though they're now doing better in another sector (Word market share), the loss of market share in tablets will lead to a loss in power as the Windows OS revenue begins to decrease. As Windows Phone's struggles to gain market share can demonstrate, once you lose market share in a sector (here, smart phones), it's awfully tough to break back in. In the meantime, other companies (here, Google and Apple) are rolling in the dough, pushing their services onto consumers at the expense of Microsoft. This creates ripple effects. Soon people have iPads and iPhones and Windows computers, but they start thinking, "I have an iPhone and an iPad already, it would make more sense to get a Mac too". Now the Windows computer is out of the picture (this is happening). Soon Microsoft is losing market s hare in multiple sectors, at risk of hitting a downward spiral that eventually even hits the products and services that originally enjoyed growth with the 'put your product on every platform' philosophy, such as Office. Pretty soon many of the products and services that you, as a consumer, enjoy are no longer relevant.

I like Microsoft's services, so I want them to stay competitive in all arenas because I like how they innovate. They do things that other companies don't do but that intrigue me (e.g. Microsoft experimenting with Kinect whereas Sony is content with boring spec upgrades). So, it is in my interest for Microsoft to leverage their exclusive services, like Xbox or Office, to promote growth on their own platforms, like Windows Phone, because doing so will encourage research and development in other arenas.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Today Miniclip--a previous supporter of Xbox games on Windows Phone--released their second consecutive non-Xbox game on Windows Phone. It is not a good thing when a previous supporter of Xbox gaming on WP no longer feels it is worthwhile to get their mobile games Xbox certified. Miniclip needs to know we care about Xbox games, and Microsoft needs to be berated for continuing to let developers slip away instead of revising the certification process.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Today Sam is reporting that Ubisoft has finally released the previously announced Rayman Fiesta Run with Xbox achievements on Windows Phone! Hooray! Be sure to tell @Ubisoft and @UbisoftMobile thanks, and feel free to pick up their other Xbox titles on WP as well: Rayman Jungle Run, Rabbids Big Bang, Babel Rising 3D.

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

Have tweeted Ubisoft today with my thanks. It's a instabuy for me too, the same with any Xbox Live game to be honest.

Assassin's Creed [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Pirates should hopefully be out soon too!

I mainly bought the phone because of the achievements. I traded in my iPhone 4S for my Windows Phone. I was not really loyal to any brand. After having various Windows Phones for a good couple of years now, theres no way I would switch to anything else!
[/FONT]

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Today Gameloft released their fifth consecutive non-Xbox title on Windows Phone, World At Arms. Please help us both Gameloft and Microsoft that this is another missed opportunity.

On a side note, especially given the rough go we've had with Xbox releases on Windows Phone in 2014 so far--just one game since New Year's, Rayman Fiesta Run, and it's not yet available in all markets--I thought it would be a good idea to post some more positive, related news. Despite the lack of new Xbox titles on Windows Phone, Windows 8/RT has seen a steady release of Xbox games in the last two months or so, with 6 titles released already (Disney Infinity: Toy Box, Microsoft Bingo, Cold Alley, Undersea Treasures, Dragon's Lair, Glacier Blast) and 2 more coming soon (World Series of Poker: Full House Pro, Hexic).

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Rayman Fiesta Run has now rolled out to all Windows Phone markets. It's a great game, with much more realistic Xbox achievements than Jungle Run. No free trial, but this one's a sure bet. Be sure to pick it up to support Xbox gaming on Windows Phone!

UPDATE: On 10 March 2014 Rayman Fiesta Run finally launched in all markets.

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Today EA launched FIFA 14 with Xbox integration! It's a free download so be sure to grab it if your phone can handle the size. I've been waiting for this game for months and am super pumped up it's here finally! Be sure to thank @EAMobile for their support. That said, this is only the first EA game since Tetris Blitz launched in September 2013, so let's also take this as an opportunity to continue nagging Microsoft for the lack of Xbox releases.

Also, as suggested by user borasar, we're now making #SaveXboxWP a two-pronged approach:
1. Twitter (what we're already doing--tweeting to Microsoft and other game developers)
2. Uservoice (this is Microsoft's official online suggestion box for Windows Phone).
  • If you haven't done so yet, please go to this suggestion, created by our very own Paul Acevedo, and cast your votes in favor of more Xbox games on WP

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Time we acknowledged, Microsoft doesn't care about this platform. As we've seen from the recent job listing and expanded on here http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465250/xbox-live-android-ios-cross-platform-games WP is an afterthought to Microsoft and as usual ios and android are their true goal. Once xbox live hits those platforms only live tiles will be remaining as a unique WP feature. I think if we want the best of Microsoft we should be considering moving to platforms that Microsoft actually supports, and WP is not one of them.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Time we acknowledged, Microsoft doesn't care about this platform. As we've seen from the recent job listing and expanded on here http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465250/xbox-live-android-ios-cross-platform-games WP is an afterthought to Microsoft and as usual ios and android are their true goal. Once xbox live hits those platforms only live tiles will be remaining as a unique WP feature. I think if we want the best of Microsoft we should be considering moving to platforms that Microsoft actually supports, and WP is not one of them.

Yep, Tom Warren of the Verge is reporting that Microsoft plans to make Xbox Live cross-platform, bringing games with Xbox Live features to enemy platforms (Android and iOS). My visceral reaction is that this sucks, and I'm angry about it. On the one hand, though, it may actually result in more Xbox games coming to Windows Phone too, as the goal is to simplify development across 3 platforms, on the other hand I think it's bad for Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT as it is now another exclusive feature lost. I wish they had simply invested more into Xbox on WP from the get-go. If they had they would've had more people switching over for the Xbox exclusivity. If this goes through, while it will be better for Xbox as a platform (more users), it certainly doesn't give iOS and Android users any incentive to switch to Windows Phone. Quite the opposite. We'll see how this plays out, but in the meantime we should continue pushing Microsoft to bring more Xbox games to Windows Phone.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Yep, Tom Warren of the Verge is reporting that Microsoft plans to make Xbox Live cross-platform, bringing games with Xbox Live features to enemy platforms (Android and iOS). My visceral reaction is that this sucks, and I'm angry about it. On the one hand, though, it may actually result in more Xbox games coming to Windows Phone too, as the goal is to simplify development across 3 platforms, on the other hand I think it's bad for Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT as it is now another exclusive feature lost. I wish they had simply invested more into Xbox on WP from the get-go. If they had they would've had more people switching over for the Xbox exclusivity. If this goes through, while it will be better for Xbox as a platform (more users), it certainly doesn't give iOS and Android users any incentive to switch to Windows Phone. Quite the opposite. We'll see how this plays out, but in the meantime we should continue pushing Microsoft to bring more Xbox games to Windows Phone.

I'm actually in the process of writing a reason that this could be one of the biggest boosts to WP. Be prepared for that thread soon.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm actually in the process of writing a reason that this could be one of the biggest boosts to WP. Be prepared for that thread soon.

Okay. Feel free to post the link in here if you'd like to. I agree that if Microsoft did it right, it could work out. But, given how badly they've botched Xbox on Windows Phone so far, I'm skeptical. Even if they do find a way to make it work out, I'll still feel weird about seeing Xbox games on a non-Microsoft OS.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Update on Rayman Fiesta Run. Ubisoft Mobile replied to my tweet asking about the title. They said both the Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 versions are still in soft launch but to "stay tuned". I hope they come soon. I replied back to Ubisoft Mobile telling them to "Keep those Xbox games coming to Windows Phone and Windows 8! I love earning Achievements on the go #SaveXboxWP" and they favorited the tweet, so that's promising!

Also, Paul wrote a good article in response to Tom Warren's article about how Xbox is going cross-platform (linked above). Check it out and help retweet it to Microsoft executives.

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Today Microsoft studios ported over from Windows 8/RT the Xbox-enabled puzzle game, Throne Together! It's good to see that Microsoft Studios is continuing to bring Xbox games to both Windows Phone and Windows 8. Now, if only Microsoft would encourage morepublishers and developers to do so.

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

This is actually good news and makes good sense from a business point of view. It will increase the Xbox Live brand audience, get more developers interested and hopfully bring more games to the Windows Phone Platform.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd say it can help the Xbox division, but hurt the Windows Phone division. You might get more people into Xbox LIVE, but have fewer switch to Windows Phone for that functionality. The questions become which division needs the help more, and how much the cross-platform Xbox LIVE move would really hurt sales.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Paul reported today that Namco Banda's Xbox-enabled Windows Phone game Galaga Legions DX has been delisted. This is the 4th Xbox on WP game to be delisted in 2014, in comparison to 3 games added, for a net of -1 Xbox game! That's not good. Help us lambaste Microsoft on Twitter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta