Folder Sync Tool for Windows RT

hxglyx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I just recently developed a tool for Windows RT(and it can run on x86 windows 8 as well) that can sync between two folders.

The app supports three kinds of sync, include: Normal Sync, Mirror Sync and Dual Sync.

Normal Sync will sync everything in the Source Folder (includes subfolders and subfolders...) to the Destination Folder. If a file already exists in the Destination Folder, it will compare the sizes of the two files, if their sizes are different, it will copy the source file to the corresponding path with an Unique Name.

Mirror Sync will finds all the folders and files that exist in the Destination Folder but not exist in the Source Folder, then delete them. Then it will execute Normal Sync( Except if a file already exists in the Destination Folder, it will be replaced). Making the Destination Folder the same with the Source Folder.

Dual Sync, also known as two way sync, will sync everything in the Source Folder and Destination Folder to the Source Folder and Destination Folder. After the sync, either of these two folders will have everything you can find in the original Source Folder and the original Destination Folder.

Here is the link Windows

The App's name is Superbolt Folder Sync. To download it, please search the app's name in Windows Store.

Now you can take good use of the usb port of Surface RT to do sync between the U disk or USB hard driver.

Hope you will like it! :wink:

photo1.png

If you shall have any suggestion, let kindly me know. Thanks!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I will check it out... Will It run on demand? I want to stark backing up my surface SD card to my home network daily... I may just offer it up as a share and use a server to back it up and then clear the data.

After my surface was stolen, I see the SD card as my biggest security threat...

hxglyx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This app will only do the sync work when you click the begin button, it does not have automatic sync function at this moment. One of my friend has a surface, and he said it works when he tried to sync a folder to his SD card. So from a folder in SD card to a folder will be OK. If you want to backup your surface SD card to your home network, the home network must has a folder that appear in the chose folder dialog, I haven't test that. Please try and tell me.

Data Security is very import, and I will try to add the Skydriver sync funtion in the future.

Hope that help.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok great, as long as it can browse to a network share, it should work. Will try it on my windows 8 laptop and on a surface when I get another one as the first was stolen.

hxglyx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, please tell me the result. I think it's time for me to begin develop another version with skydrive sync function. I think I have pick a wrong price for this app, and next week I will lower the price and extend the trial time so that people can test it longer.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
thank you for making a sync folder app for the RT. I've tried your app and think it is OK. I am totally spoiled by 2brightsparks SyncBack and I am looking for something with similar functionality. One of the things I am definitely missing is a visual confirmation of what it is replacing or which files it will copy and/or rename in the process. So before it actually does anything it would be great to see a list of what goes right and what goes left and what it will do for each file. it should allow me to uncheck actions I do not want to happen.
I am also looking for another layer of differentiation, If a file already exists, let me decide to replace it with a file with a newer modified date and only in one direction. File size is not always the correct indicator of what I want to sync. E.g. I want to update files on my Surface RT in a certain folder with files on my hdd in a folder of the same name. If there is a file on the Surface that is newer than on the hdd it will not update it. If files on the external hdd are newer the files will be copied over older ones on the Surface. The decision is made by date last modified. Any files that don't exist on the Surface will also be copied over. Nothing goes from the Surface to the external hdd.
I also noticed that it will forget my last sync folders. It would be great to save a profile based on different scenarios,e g. one for a particular folder combination on my Surface and my external hdd.
I am very much looking forward to updates! thank you so much for your contribution. Nothing else out there at the moment.

Last edited:

hxglyx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion, actually I have achieved the function of storing the source folder, destination folder and sync type of the last time sync in the next version. And I am doing on the folder pair configuration function, which is very similar to the scenarios you mentioned. And I will try to add more options in sync in the future.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion, actually I have achieved the function of storing the source folder, destination folder and sync type of the last time sync in the next version. And I am doing on the folder pair configuration function, which is very similar to the scenarios you mentioned. And I will try to add more options in sync in the future.

any updates on your project? looking forward to hearing from you

hxglyx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have updated a version on the windows store, it can storing the source folder, destination folder and sync type of the last time sync , and it can save 10 folder pairs with their own sync type settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon