Noteworthy apps for Windows RT

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The only area that has given me irritation in owning a Surface RT has been the severe lack of quality apps. But I'm starting to find apps that provide the level of quality that I expect from other platforms. Here's a few that I just installed. Hopefully others will add to this. Not just any apps, but something that is of high quality. If you add to the list, give a reason why it is noteworthy. Just because we're not using "the" tablet everyone else owns doesn't mean we should settle for second best.

COVER - Comic Book Reader (Free)
Why it's noteworthy: I've installed over a different CBZ/CBR readers and only Cover was able to handle my 99MB+ CBZ/CBR files of vintage store catalogs and magazines.

PLEX - Media Client ($4.99)
Why it's noteworthy: Although it killed me to pay $5 for an app, the ability to stream 3TB+ of media from my Macbook Pro in a high quality interface on my Surface RT ended up being worth it. Plex in my household environment is turning out to be far more usable and stable than Apple's AirPlay (even though all components were Apple's). Oh, and the Windows Phone version of Plex works great on my Lumia 520. (It was Free, though I don't know if it is because they don't charge for it or because I purchased the RT version)

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Here is my list -

Some are paid some are not.

Files&Folders by Boo Studios

I was very unhappy with the Dropbox app that was in the Microsoft store. It worked very poorly so I was trying to find a better app. I ran into this gem. First, its a GREAT file folder program and the layout is top notch. It also allows you to set Dropbox and Skydrive as folders within the program and you copy and paste files and folders easily between the local hard drive and either of the could services or even directly between Skydrive and Dropbox. Highly recommended!

Map Pro by Nicollet Fabien

My Asus Vivotab RT has GPS but should work without needing GPS. Shows nice maps in different styles and gives directions.
Nice layout.

Copipet

Saves frequently used strings and has a one-button COPY which then allows you to paste in any other application. You can also setup "accounts" which separates your info by account name to help find it easier

Google Voice (official app)

Allows you to Google Voice to send/recieve text messages and place calls, Although I just use mine for text messages. Works very well.

Picture Square

Views pictures in full screen mode and allows VERY easy cropping and saving.

Quick Links by Dave's Apps

Let's you program in a long list of shortcuts and launches browser for shortcuts in 3/4 screen mode while Quick Links remains in the 1/4 square. Easy swipe down or move the windows over to the left to close. Very handy.

Fotor

Nice full featured image editor. Supports many formats. Like it better than the Adobe one.

Mimic Browser

Nice browser to have in case you run into websites that don't play well with IE 11.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Woopiti, its a cloud file manager. You can access your Flickr, Facebook, twitter, Ubuntu one, google drive, box, drop box, copy.com, picasa, and SkyDrive all through one app!! Needs an option to download folders and multiple files, but for the price, (free), it's great.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Metro Media Player. A simple media player, it can play videos and music. I've only watched .mp4 and .avi movies on it, but its been great. (free)

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
YouTube downloader plus rt
Title says it all. Its a YouTube downloader, with basic features, such as default resolution, download as audio or video, background downloads, etc. Its free, but one thing that makes it stand out is it's price. Most YouTube downloaders are $3 or more to remove ads, but this app only costs $1.50

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb