Future of RT: Smart TV

Paul215821

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I finally decided to write it down.
Windows RT, or if they do actually merge it with Windows Phone when WIndows 10 comes out, the Windows 10 ARM version, would be perfect for a Smart TV. Right now, every manufacturer uses their own interface and operating system (WebOS, Firefox OS, proprietary operating systems, etc), with their own apps. And the app selection is limited, along with their functionality. Also, people are already familiair with the Windows interface, so less technologically-inclined users won't have to learn how to operate it. The big tiles seem perfect for a 10 foot interface. Being able to only install Metro-style apps is not a problem on a TV.
The combined Windows RT/Phone store has a much larger selection than current Smart TV OS's, and much more potential. And the selection would only become better if the market was less fragmented. In contrast with other operating systems, RT/WP has a fully functional browser (IE). It already has good apps for Netflix, Hulu, etc. It would be easy to make a DVR app (if it doesn't exist already) that would let you record TV-shows to your NAS, eliminating the need for a seperate DVR. And if I really dream big, it might even be able to replace your cable box. Windows is already a lot more flexible when it comes to filesharing options. Just connect your TV to your NAS and you have an excellent mediaplayer/HTPC right there in your TV. And it comes with Office, with would be perfect for businesses. Many business have large TV's hooked up to computers for presentations in meeting rooms or information displays in lobbies. How convenient would it be to plug a TV into a power outlet and ethernet port and be all set up? Just plug in a USB-drive or grab a file from the company network to start your presentation. No more need for a seperate computer.
I do understand that while RT/WP is lighter than a full version of Windows, it might still require more resources than the operating systems currently used. But hardware still wouldn't be very expensive. How much does a current RT tablet or WP phone cost? Now take off the cost of a screen, case, speakers, battery, since those are already part of the TV, and add an ethernet port. It's probably less than $100 dollars to turn a regular TV into an feature-packed Smart TV. It sure is cheaper than buying a HTPC to hook up to your TV for the same functionality. And since it is integrated into the chassis of the tv, you don't have to worry about where to place it. This also ties back to meeting rooms and lobbies: no need to run wires from the TV to a secure location where the computer serving the display is located. It's all one unit that can be bolted to the wall. Just turn off the USB-ports for displays in public spaces, and you're set.

What do you guys think? Do you see more uses for this, that I haven't thought off? Or maybe you think there's no real use case? Or maybe you think RT will become obsolete in a few months. I am curious about your thoughts.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem, with a Smart TV, is TV's right now are still stuck in the past, because broadcasters want money, content creators want money, and so on down to the actors/CGI team want money.... What people want is to stream a show when they want not when the broadcaster wants to broadcast it. I want the latest film, I do not want to wait for the Movie theater to finish playing it, I do not want to wait fro DVD shipments, I do not want Blu-Ray... We want to stream.... Tim Cook talked about how there is no point in making an Apple TV, because the TV companies are dinosaurs and they do not want to change...

Microsoft could make a connection device, I had an old cable box that was Windows XP embedded, it worked well for what it did... Like a Roku or Apple TV, or Google TV (ChromeCast), or Amazon Fire TV, they could make a device that does that... Well wait they have XBOX One and Miracast (Wireless Display Adapter)...

So to add the XBOX One into a TV?

Maybe I am not like most, I want my TV DUMB, I want 10 HDMI, lots RCA ports for the old devices (input/output because I want to connect to an AMP with speakers), lots of USB, Miracast/Chromecast/AppleCast, Bluetooth, Card Readers... but DUMB... I will use set top boxes to get content from...

http://www.cnet.com/news/i-want-my-dumb-tv/

Last edited:

Paul215821

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
While I disagree with you on cable being dead, at least for another couple of years still, it isn't the only way to get content anymore, like it used to be. I see this more as a way to aggregate content. Whether you watch a program live via cable, on demand from your cable company/Netflix/YouTube/etc, from content providers themselves, or a movie or album from your NAS, it will be presented the same way, with the same interface. Indeed like adding an XBOX One to your TV, without the gaming part perhaps, and at a much lower price. Or a HTPC, without the optical drive. XBMC also comes close to what I have in mind, if had less plugins to make it easier for less technically-inclined users, and a better browser.
Having it Windows-based insures it won't be obsolete within a few years. It will continue to be upgraded and supported like it is right now for RT and WP. If there's a new content source, anyone can write an app for it to submit to the store, unlike how it is right now where you have to cross your fingers your TV manufacturer will add the feature.

Miracast might come close to the solution, but you still need a seperate device. Chromecast on the other hand, is more of a gimmick. It's very limited in what it can do and where it can get its content from.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I never said cable was dead, however, besides Phone (Copper DSL), satellite, Over-the-Air, internet streaming is far better... I wish cable companies could be online via the internet, I could get a cable box that connected to my network, and I could then select the channels/content I want to watch, and pay for what I want to use. No Cable/Dish/Direct-TV/U-Verse/name your company, does not want that...

This of how much that would cut out the middle man... In the US a small company tried to activate streaming Over the Air, it was not the best method, they got sued and had to stop in some areas... But it is still the future, streaming your/my way... Not the companies way...

The big issue is the companies/broadcasters.. they are stuck in the past like the Music Industry, Movie, now the TV companies, will loose to digital methods, if there is a better way someone will find a way to make money off of it and do it better...

I remember 8 Track - Cassette tapes, Records (Vinyl), CD's, to MP3's it will happen...

But as far as my TV, having Windows RT as an interface, I am not sure if that is wise, LG tried with webOS, I am not sure if that is the best for this great OS...

I use my Surface RT 64G everyday, it replaced my Windows XP Laptop, but the interface on a TV built in? Yeah I can update it to Windows 11, but if the hardware does not handle the newest buzz, I have to replace it, and the more junk in a TV the more they charge for it...

I used to be able to buy a Good TV for under $100, now they are $1000, LCD/Plazma/LED... For what to watch 1970's broadcasts...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa