Any new news on the switch from RT(8.1) to w10?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
There won't be a "windows 10" RT version, but apparently RT users will get a bunch of the new features. I hope we get the new browser - IE and no other alternative is one of my very few complaints about Windows RT.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am going to be happy if the developers for android apps embrace 10 and give us all the GOOD apps over there. I have been using my note a bit and damn, the apps are great on that. WIN and WIN phones apps are pretty in that they are symmetrical, but otherwise android has them beat in everything else.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully they get most of the new features and the app support of 10. I'm interested in seeing what happens

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
just a gut feeling, but i don't expect anything great in the improvements. again, another guess but don't expect anything around apps. If MS is still offering some type of buy back program when jumping to the Surface 3 from the 2 I am leaning toward taking advantage of it while i still can.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I am optimistic now, that we will at least get the new app system. I am thinking about getting 2 sp3 when the sp4 comes out. I don't mind being one gen behind on computer tech. It's not that much different. I like the surface. I Just wish my 2 asus RT tablets get some app updates etc.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I guess I won't accept that update. take the one thing that works great on my tablet and put in a GD start menu? really. Either re skin rt to look and work like 10, besides the major stuff, or leave it be. right now my tablet will be a paper weight in 3 months because no apps will be available for it, so it's resale is down the ****ter, and will be a hack job of an OS on it. Yep, time to move on to surface products.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess I won't accept that update. take the one thing that works great on my tablet and put in a GD start menu? really. Either re skin rt to look and work like 10, besides the major stuff, or leave it be. right now my tablet will be a paper weight in 3 months because no apps will be available for it, so it's resale is down the ****ter, and will be a hack job of an OS on it. Yep, time to move on to surface products.

I agree with your decision to not accept the update. If 8.1 RT works for you, great. What I never can accept is the mentality that your tablet will be a paper weight in 3 months. It will function as it does now in 3 months or it's a paper weight right now. XP computers are not paper weights, they're just no longer supported. The same goes for any RT tablet.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I know. The next question is can I not accept the crappy start menu update but continue to receive security updates etc?

My paperweight comment is more directed at the resale value. Which will be zero. No future app support ( not that there was much in the beginning), But I'm sure no apps will get updated or even have functionality going forward. What sucks is w10 is not near as good at 8.1 for touch devices. No swipe forward/back, I am totally disappointed with it.