Skype for Windows RT (end of support)

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Skype in a blog recently announced its support for a list of operating systems, and Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and Windows RT are not a part of it. All three will no longer be supported starting October of this year.

The question is: Will our Skype client still work, but no longer get updates or new features? Will we be able to use Skype for Web on our Windows RT devices? Still rocking my favorite tablet Lumia 2520.

DarrenIndeed

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
My dad is on a Surface RT and the Skype app has uninstalled itself. It still shows up in the store, and he can start the download, but it doesn't actually download (even though the store says "Launch" instead of "Install"). Is this the support finally being pulled from Win RT? Anyone else seeing this?

- Darren

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
That RT should have been updated to Windows 8.1 which will be supported until 2023. I am still running Skype on my original RT. I don't expect to get any new features on either 8.1 nor Skype for 8.1, but I don't expect anything to stop working in October or any time soon either. Maybe posting a link to that blog would be helpful in my understanding.

DarrenIndeed

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
It had been working fine on my dad's RT until about a week ago at least. Like I said, it uninstalled itself though and fails to reinstall. It sounds like this is not the case for RTGent though, so hopefully there is some way to convince the app to install again... I have no idea how though =/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos