Prediction: Microsoft/Nokia will disappoint at MWC

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
But not because they won't announce something that will have a significant impact on the future of Windows Phone. In fact, I bet both companies will unveil some new strategy or hardware that will sell more devices.

The problem is that I don't think anyone will be surprised by what they announce. MWC is where bombshells are dropped and neither company has any. We, the WP fans and spectators pretty much already know what they will announce.

There's going to be some obvious stuff; the 900 will get a world wide release, Nokia announcing the 610 (and several other low-mid range phones), and a complete run down of the Tango update. Significant stuff but not what I would call a bombshell.

I'm guessing most of their major plans won't have an affect until Apollo/Windows 8. WP fans have a lot to look towards to ...come fall. However, people watching MWC are looking for new information they can take advantage of now (or within the next couple months).

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft/Nokia will have anything new to throw at us come MWC. It will be a combination of stuff we already know about or things that won't matter until late this year.

Effie356

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree too

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But not because they won't announce something that will have a significant impact on the future of Windows Phone. In fact, I bet both companies will unveil some new strategy or hardware that will sell more devices.

The problem is that I don't think anyone will be surprised by what they announce. MWC is where bombshells are dropped and neither company has any. We, the WP fans and spectators pretty much already know what they will announce.

There's going to be some obvious stuff; the 900 will get a world wide release, Nokia announcing the 610 (and several other low-mid range phones), and a complete run down of the Tango update. Significant stuff but not what I would call a bombshell.

I'm guessing most of their major plans won't have an affect until Apollo/Windows 8. WP fans have a lot to look towards to ...come fall. However, people watching MWC are looking for new information they can take advantage of now (or within the next couple months).

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft/Nokia will have anything new to throw at us come MWC. It will be a combination of stuff we already know about or things that won't matter until late this year.
This is very very true. Nothing extraordinary new.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, the other end of that premis is if they do announce some big new hot device they will just keep the WP fans from buying. When MS and Nokia partnered a lot of folks held off from buying Samsung's and HTC's waiting for the Nokia's to drop. Then when the 710 and 800 were announced the rumors of a 900 ACE began and again many held off. If they announce yet another gotta have it bad mofo phone which causes people to hold off the 900 that would not be good either.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not expecting anything great. The only thing I want is confirmation that all phones will upgrade to Apollo so I can feel safe getting my Lumia 900. They better talk about Windows Phone for at least 15 minutes, that CES bit destroyed my faith into the OS =(

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If Microsoft announced they were giving away a house with each phone purchased someone would still complain the house wasn't big enough.

That said I think what we will be getting is allot of Tango news and more low end devices. Microsoft needs to get people in the the ecosystem (Zune, XBOX, Skydrive) to do that we need cheaper devices that will be the strategy I think. To grow this platform people are going to need some incentives to drop there iPhones and Androids. I think these announcements are important for WP but will be disappointing to most of us hard core users. Or I could be completely wrong.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There's 2 things I want to see.

1- New phones.
2- New features.

I'm already 99% sure I'm going to get the Lumia 900 but I want to see the goodness man.

A 200$ Nokia Windows 8 tablet for example.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think tablets will play a big part in the MWC. They are still really hot and the market is growing fast, just look at Kindle Fire sales. A Nokia Win8 tablet would generate a lot interest.

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if you live in the US or the UK the only really interesting thing they can announce is if current phones will be upgradeable to Apollo (the idea that they will talk of the development platform for Apollo is too far fetched). However for the rest of the world there will be interesting announcements. I bet WP fans in Asia are really interested about the 610 and similar devices and I am really interested if Bulgarian language will be one of the supported Tango languages. I am also interested if there will be a Bulgarian marketplace and if I will be able to submit apps directly to the marketplace without paying third party companies. For me these will be big announcements. And they'd better make an option to change your country in the marketplace :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think tablets will play a big part in the MWC. They are still really hot and the market is growing fast, just look at Kindle Fire sales. A Nokia Win8 tablet would generate a lot interest.

Absolutly, Microsoft already took their sweet time to get into the Tablet business so they need to make it right.

Cheap, stylish, functional Nokia tablet style. They do that and I'll have my first tablet =D

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should make the same decision about this event like they did for CES. They seem intent on making Fall big their release timeframe, better to have an event then than show up to events like this with nothing interesting to show and be upstaged by everyone and their dog releasing high end android phones. Unless they have something special planned that we don't know about they are going to be totally outshone yet again.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

You share the same opinion that I do. Part of it is the fact that I don't want to come off disappointed in this conference.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nokia knows better than anyone what happens to your sales when you announce future plans, I doubt they'll make that mistake again. I'm glad I got my Focus S. It is the 'next big thing' as far as I'm concerned, and its already in my hands and doing everything I want it to.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I expect closure on the update situation regarding first gen handsets and Apollo. Logic dictates they put an end to the speculation as it WILL damage sales for the remaining period. If we don't hear anything it will more than likely be because the news ain't so good....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it will too because Microsoft seems to be dragging their feet with everything. I really don't understand their strategies and where they get off thinking they just have enough interest that they can just wait a whole year until they unveil things or make announcements that will impact people's buying decision.

I'm on tmobile prepaid and am playing the waiting game until a phone comes out that will satisfy me for possibly two years. Luckily, Windows Phone doesn't rely on specs like Android does, so my 710 will hold me over on prepaid until the magic device comes around, but I need something that will be future proof for a while. I need something with everything, like NFC for mobile payments and other technologies that will make the device worth the contract investment over the long run. Nokia and Microsoft taking their time in other countries before going hard in the states is really annoying and it feels like they just "know" their big names devices will sway people over so they can take their time. I can understand perhaps wanting to establish a stronger developer base and all that, but I think they would be able to do that if they hurried up and released devices that people will safe investing money and effort into. I mean Nokia and Microsoft has had plenty of time to push something powerful and decent by now; heck, all Nokia had to do was throw the N9 out there with NFC and all the bells and whistles and I would sign up in a heartbeat. The Lumia 900? That's middish-high end range phone that really doesn't have anything going for it IMHO. A ffc and beautiful screen. We already had that with the Titan (and now Titan II). To me, they've had more than enough time to push a powerful handset out instead of waiting and betting on a big OS release before pushing stronger handsets. Its like they're saying "Well, we will wait for the OS to support these technologies before we push phones with those technologies.". That's dumb IMHO because you might as well release the phones NOW, lock people in, and push the hardcore features when the big updates drop.

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it will too because Microsoft seems to be dragging their feet with everything. I really don't understand their strategies and where they get off thinking they just have enough interest that they can just wait a whole year until they unveil things or make announcements that will impact people's buying decision.

I'm on tmobile prepaid and am playing the waiting game until a phone comes out that will satisfy me for possibly two years. Luckily, Windows Phone doesn't rely on specs like Android does, so my 710 will hold me over on prepaid until the magic device comes around, but I need something that will be future proof for a while. I need something with everything, like NFC for mobile payments and other technologies that will make the device worth the contract investment over the long run. Nokia and Microsoft taking their time in other countries before going hard in the states is really annoying and it feels like they just "know" their big names devices will sway people over so they can take their time. I can understand perhaps wanting to establish a stronger developer base and all that, but I think they would be able to do that if they hurried up and released devices that people will safe investing money and effort into. I mean Nokia and Microsoft has had plenty of time to push something powerful and decent by now; heck, all Nokia had to do was throw the N9 out there with NFC and all the bells and whistles and I would sign up in a heartbeat. The Lumia 900? That's middish-high end range phone that really doesn't have anything going for it IMHO. A ffc and beautiful screen. We already had that with the Titan (and now Titan II). To me, they've had more than enough time to push a powerful handset out instead of waiting and betting on a big OS release before pushing stronger handsets. Its like they're saying "Well, we will wait for the OS to support these technologies before we push phones with those technologies.". That's dumb IMHO because you might as well release the phones NOW, lock people in, and push the hardcore features when the big updates drop.

I don't believe WP7 in its current configuration can even use NFC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills