Let's have a complaints sub-forum

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What do you think?

I'd love to see a complaints sub-forum.

Most people I think come in with questions and are willing to ask for help in a reasonable way without getting hyperbolic and ridiculous about it. Those posts could stay in the General Discussion or other places.

However, there's a certain small population of people here who want to do nothing more than rant and complain and seem to have no interest in offers of help. They drag the mood of the forum down with negative, counterproductive crap that leads no where.

How about a sub-forum purgatory for these people to post in, and moderators can re-locate their posts in the other forums to it?

It's not about censorship, it's about improving the fellowship on this forum. If you aren't willing to be reasonable and you don't really want help and the moderators aren't going to hand out bans for this stuff, then it needs a place to go.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This thread would have to be the first post in that new sub forum wouldn't it.

First learn where to post we have a Meta forum for forums related requests. Next if you have an issue with other forums members and what they are posting report the post. Me and my Mod team will decide if anything needs to be done. Last time I looked you weren't on the mod team. If you don't like the decisions I or any of the Mod team is making regarding Bans and who gets one. PM ME we can talk about it.

If you want to help this forum grow in a productive way help the "complainers" see the light. Post in an intelligent rational way if you can. Don't asking for hater sub forums. If someone has their mind made up and wont listen to the facts don't post anything and the thread will die. Wont it?

My vote, I disagree.

Thanks for playing
Dave Blake

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think people who sign up for forums just to praise their device are in the minority. Most people are here because they had a problem to begin with. Some people just deal with their problems differently. And how would one know anyway if what they're posting is annoying to you or anyone else. All they know is they're frustrated with their device and posting exactly what they're thinking, hoping someone can give them a solution. Instead of helping them, you're alienating them further.

Just be glad you're not in an OEM forum. Members over there are ruthless, because they think they can force or demand a software update via trollish posts.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread would have to be the first post in that new sub forum wouldn't it.

First learn where to post we have a Meta forum for forums related requests. Next if you have an issue with other forums members and what they are posting report the post. Me and my Mod team will decide if anything needs to be done. Last time I looked you weren't on the mod team. If you don't like the decisions I or any of the Mod team is making regarding Bans and who gets one. PM ME we can talk about it.

If you want to help this forum grow in a productive way help the "complainers" see the light. Post in an intelligent rational way if you can. Don't asking for hater sub forums. If someone has their mind made up and wont listen to the facts don't post anything and the thread will die. Wont it?

My vote, I disagree.

Thanks for playing
Dave Blake

I agree. I also am a member of Crackberry, since I used a BlackBerry before I got my Lumia 900.

The Crackberry Storm Rants & Raves forum was an absolute horror situation. I would not wish that type of experience on any of the mods or general members.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This is a help forum isn't it? If we send everyone with an issue to a "complaints" sub forum instead of helping them we wont have much to do.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of "complaints" are due to the fact that many people are new to Windows Phone. They probably used a different platform previously, and are just not used to the Mango OS or the UI. Once they learn how the devices work and become used to them, they will probably like them more and have fewer complaints. I think it's all about comfort level, and some people get comfortable with something new quicker than others; whereas some people need a longer time to learn new things and get more comfortable.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah honestly as a MOD ,, i would NOT want a complain forum....

and if people would actually take the time to do research before they buy a WP we wouldn't need to deal with so many useless complaint threads.

1. its allot more work for a a ridiculous section
2. Im already siiick of hearing people complain ,
3. if you wana complains bout WP you already have options here:

www.Androidcentral.com ( they love WP complaints)
www.Crackberry.com
www.Imore.com ( they also LOVE WP complaints )

OR you could try the ONE true place to complain about: Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a help forum isn't it? If we send everyone with an issue to a "complaints" sub forum instead of helping them we wont have much to do.

The complaints sub-forum would be for threads like this...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/191042.htm

...where all reasonable attempts to help are ignored and all the person has is an intention to gripe and moan and complain.

There are plenty of other example like that where the thread just consists of someone overreacting and posting some ridiculous alarmist thread title and rants and raves and knocks WP7 and isn't looking for any kind of help at all.

If people don't think that would improve the overall quality of the more heavily trafficked forums and prevent new users and potential new users from being scared away from WP7 by alarmist, inaccurate thread titles posted by people who have no clue, then I don't know what to say.

It seems like a good compromise to me if the consensus among the moderators is to tolerate these idiots to lob grenades in the middle of our nice little forum of enthusiasts.

If not, then I guess we'll just see if people like me who actually want to contribute will just get burned out by the negative trolls and seek greener pastures. :(

I think a lot of "complaints" are due to the fact that many people are new to Windows Phone. They probably used a different platform previously, and are just not used to the Mango OS or the UI. Once they learn how the devices work and become used to them, they will probably like them more and have fewer complaints. I think it's all about comfort level, and some people get comfortable with something new quicker than others; whereas some people need a longer time to learn new things and get more comfortable.

In the meantime, we let them spew ignorance and FUD all over our forum?

I respectfully disagree.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The complaints sub-forum would be for threads like this...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/191042.htm

...where all reasonable attempts to help are ignored and all the person has is an intention to gripe and moan and complain.

There are plenty of other example like that where the thread just consists of someone overreacting and posting some ridiculous alarmist thread title and rants and raves and knocks WP7 and isn't looking for any kind of help at all.

If people don't think that would improve the overall quality of the more heavily trafficked forums and prevent new users and potential new users from being scared away from WP7 by alarmist, inaccurate thread titles posted by people who have no clue, then I don't know what to say.

It seems like a good compromise to me if the consensus among the moderators is to tolerate these idiots to lob grenades in the middle of our nice little forum of enthusiasts.

If not, then I guess we'll just see if people like me who actually want to contribute will just get burned out by the negative trolls and seek greener pastures. :(

There are some very good, rational, intelligent, responses in that thread. Any rational thinking person with the same issue will ignore the OP's rants and learn from the good information posted. This is one of the threads that I have been monitoring closely. The OP is clearly upset but has moved on so at this point the thread is closed. I could have closed it after post 10 but the OP still wanted to discuss the issue. You guys needed the chance to show other new members that there is an easy right way to handle the issue. As that thread goes the good information continued however mixed with some bad posting decisions. But all still within forums rules.

When would you have closed the thread? If at any point anyone thought the thread was dead or needed to be closed anyone could have reported it as such. That didn't happen. I am inclined to keep it open. I like to discuss things I like people to think and learn. I can go around closing every thread I don't like. If I did that we wouldn't be still discussing this topic in this one. If threads are within the forums rules and good information is still being exchanged we have a responsibility to keep the thread opened so the issue can be resolved. In the end we couldn't help the OP, via his own admission but good information was posted to help those who want it.

You don't have to visit any thread. You can just ignore threads you don't like. There is need to burn yourself out. There are plenty of other more positive threads to read. You could start your own thread something more positive if you like. I would like to add. When someone is mad and unresponsive to rational discussion the sooner you guys stop trying to help the sooner the thread dies.

Lets say we do add a complaints forum. What goes in there and when. Do we decide by the title? Do we have to read the OP first? What if the person is mad but can be calmed down and helped? I can point you to many threads like this in these forums. The OP is upset hates he situation but once informed becomes ration listens to the help posed. Is later thankfully that we were patient enough to help. Take that same scenario and throw there thread into a complaints forum and you have created an enemy for life. I don't want that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
And honestly MS already has a OFFICIAL complaint WEBPAGE!! yes a FULL page for complaints, you read that right.
Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

so why give US (mods) more work?

MS doesn't have an Employee reading over WPCentral forums for complaints...so it wont actually change anything in terms of the phone`s function. If MS actually came here on this site and took it to heart ( witch they don't , and have no need to) then it might be worth it.

I understand your need to share with the world your complaints/worries so others may benefit from your experience. I respect that,

but instead of reading a Complaint Thread about things that WP is lacking , would it not be more logical or positively influential to simply, have a Positive thread so people may see the good side of the OS ? If for some reason a Function is missing or simply not existent, then we have our General discussion or OS discussion section for that specific reason, and that is where WE ( the WP community , including you ) comes in to HELP does people better understand WP to fit their needs.

If we cant help them or no *workaround exist*, well you always have that Buyer remorse period to return your phone. Trust me when I say we wouldn't hate you more for it.... we would understand.

Putting a positive view on things or simply approaching it from a different angle can often make all the differents in the world. I like to think that the WPcentral Community is the better for it out of all the mobile nation sites and this is how you achieve that greatness.

Don't get me wrong im all up for discussions but a complaint *section* just screams * BAN ME!* not to mention turn WPcentral into a court room.

Last edited:

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
My time on this forum has been greatly reduced due to the amount of complaining especialy since the 900 released. But haveing a complaint section would only increase the complaining. All you have to do is not respond to or read complaint sections and then people will stop. I try to only post to people that need help, or have good ideas.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
My time on this forum has been greatly reduced due to the amount of complaining especialy since the 900 released. But haveing a complaint section would only increase the complaining. All you have to do is not respond to or read complaint sections and then people will stop. I try to only post to people that need help, or have good ideas.

Same here. I used to read through most of the threads, but now I skip a majority of them because it's full of complaining.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Got a huge chuckle from Se1fcr3ation's post above referring complainers to the other Mobile Nation sites. Sad, and so true.

I think overall, WP Central is the most level headed place for postings and problem solving of any tech site I visit. I like the community here. While I am looking excitedly to the future and growth of Windows Phones, part of me likes the fact it is still a small user base. Bigger sales, the more the "anti-WP" crowd will post on here just to stir things up. Nothing is worse than a negative person with a motive.

I am at a loss to understand truly negative people anyways. It takes a lot of energy to be that mad all the time. I do not want to put that much effort into anything, unless it is family, Church, or cash related.

Sometimes not even the cash. Those bills will wait. Nobody else will pay them, they have no choice but to wait. :-D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)